I'm completely lost and need guidance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so i've posted a question similar to the forthcoming ones, but my next decision is crucial.

I'm a history major. I'm a senior.
I've taken all pre-reqs except Physics 1 and 2.
My science GPA right now is 2.92.
I am considering two things.
(1). If I take 1 general education course (history, humanities, philosophy, etc) + three science courses for Spring '11, Fall '11, and Spring '12...then my science GPA will be 3.35. Then I can apply to dental schools in June 2012.

Possible problem: Is a 3.35 competitive enough to give me a good shot at getting into dental school?
If I get in: I start dental school in fall 2013.
If I don't get in: I will have wasted taking 3 semesters of science courses. I graduate in 2013. I start post-bacc or master's program in 2013, and graduate from it in 2014...apply to dental school in 2014...and hopefully get accepted and START DENTAL SCHOOL IN 2015 :eek:

(2). I could take the rest of my history and other general courses (and physics 1 and 2)...and graduate with a science GPA of 3.1 and with a history degree in spring 2012. Start post-bacc in 2012 and graduate from it in summer 2013...apply to dental schools in 2013...and hopefully get accepted and START DENTAL SCHOOL IN 2014 :scared:

The reason I say 2015 and (and 2014) is because I don't think I any of the post-bacc programs will allow me to matriculate directly into dental school after graduating from the post-bacc program...do they?

This is very stressful for me, and I really need some guidance. I don't want to waste a year. I was hoping there would be a way I could begin dental school somehow in fall 2013. :scared:
I don't even know if a certificate from a post-bacc would strengthen my dental school application. I'm lost.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just going to come out and say it. It's time to take action - you're stressing over things that you can no longer control - this is your 3rd thread or so on this. It may take you an extra year but if you have a 30+ year career in dentistry will that be that big of deal?

Get your 3.35 GPA & get your 22+ DAT. That's the best application you can put forth - nothing is for sure. If you dont get in then go from there the next cycle. It's just one year.

I would follow this option:

(1). If I take 1 general education course (history, humanities, philosophy, etc) + three science courses for Spring '11, Fall '11, and Spring '12...then my science GPA will be 3.35. Then I can apply to dental schools in June 2012.

Possible problem: Is a 3.35 competitive enough to give me a good shot at getting into dental school?

Yes, many students get into dental school with a 3.35 sGPA. Just make sure you do really well on the DAT. I think it would be a waste of several years if you do a post-bacc or masters since I don't think you need it (as long as you get all A's and get your sGPA to the 3.35 ... you would need the post-bacc with a 2.9 though)

Alright, so i've posted a question similar to the forthcoming ones, but my next decision is crucial.

I'm a history major. I'm a senior.
I've taken all pre-reqs except Physics 1 and 2.
My science GPA right now is 2.92.
I am considering two things.

If I get in: I start dental school in fall 2013.
If I don't get in: I will have wasted taking 3 semesters of science courses. I graduate in 2013. I start post-bacc or master's program in 2013, and graduate from it in 2014...apply to dental school in 2014...and hopefully get accepted and START DENTAL SCHOOL IN 2015 :eek:

(2). I could take the rest of my history and other general courses (and physics 1 and 2)...and graduate with a science GPA of 3.1 and with a history degree in spring 2012. Start post-bacc in 2012 and graduate from it in summer 2013...apply to dental schools in 2013...and hopefully get accepted and START DENTAL SCHOOL IN 2014 :scared:

The reason I say 2015 and (and 2014) is because I don't think I any of the post-bacc programs will allow me to matriculate directly into dental school after graduating from the post-bacc program...do they?

This is very stressful for me, and I really need some guidance. I don't want to waste a year. I was hoping there would be a way I could begin dental school somehow in fall 2013. :scared:
I don't even know if a certificate from a post-bacc would strengthen my dental school application. I'm lost.

There is a concept you seem to be forgetting about. Informal post-bacc can be started WHENEVER you choose. In the Fall, in the Spring, in the Summer.... Its basically you structuring your undergrad schedule (after graduation) according to your needs.

As far as which options go, clearly, I think Option 1 is your BEST option. If your willing to work hard and REALLY earn that 3.35, you will be a pretty good candidate.... why you might ask? Well think about it, your upward trend in the sciences for the last 3 semesters of your undergrad were a solid 4.0. Besides, many dental schools have their average science GPA between 3.3-3.5 so you are within the correct range.