I'm Curious To See

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of debating whether or not to get a laptop for Optometry School and I come across a fork in the road. Should I take the road "most" taken and get a silver or black laptop OR should I be a rogue and set the path for laptop expression and get a say PINK ONE. The pink Vaio looks gangsta and I want it. However, I was wondering what y'all's perception of a student IN GRAD SCHOOL is on a girl with a pink laptop. :confused:

Yours Truly,
Pretty in Pink

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm in the process of debating whether or not to get a laptop for Optometry School and I come across a fork in the road. Should I take the road "most" taken and get a silver or black laptop OR should I be a rogue and set the path for laptop expression and get a say PINK ONE. The pink Vaio looks gangsta and I want it. However, I was wondering what y'all's perception of a student IN GRAD SCHOOL is on a girl with a pink laptop. :confused:

Yours Truly,
Pretty in Pink
DO IT. pinks hott. ud be the hottest chick in grad school.

be proud to be different =)
be proud to be pink ;)

look at the pros and cons of the different laptops. personally, i am a HUGE Sony fan but I cant afford their computers because they are WAY overpriced... in comparison with other laptops with similar specs.

look at the specs - if ur not sure, ask someone who knows about comps. im a girl too - so i think a pink laptop would be nice - but you might get sick of it in a few years.

again - it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want in a laptop (lightweight, fast processor..) i think that's more important than the colour! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
they are soooo great for opto school:)

okay study break over:)

look at the pros and cons of the different laptops. personally, i am a HUGE Sony fan but I cant afford their computers because they are WAY overpriced... in comparison with other laptops with similar specs.

look at the specs - if ur not sure, ask someone who knows about comps. im a girl too - so i think a pink laptop would be nice - but you might get sick of it in a few years.

again - it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want in a laptop (lightweight, fast processor..) i think that's more important than the colour! :)

Have to agree.. look at the specs, pink might be nice.. but it's probably gonna spend most of it's time on your desk in your room so does it really matter?

<3 my Dell

Someone mentioned how the laptop will just stay in my room, however I was wondering what the frequency of me taking a laptop to class would be. Are the notes always given out like a syllabus or do I need to be taking notes majority of the time at lightening speed? If so, I can't wait to flaunt my pink laptop at the person sitting next to me while he or she surrenders themselves to the pitter-patter of the "ultraquiet" vaio keyboard. :D

Someone mentioned how the laptop will just stay in my room, however I was wondering what the frequency of me taking a laptop to class would be. Are the notes always given out like a syllabus or do I need to be taking notes majority of the time at lightening speed? If so, I can't wait to flaunt my pink laptop at the person sitting next to me while he or she surrenders themselves to the pitter-patter of the "ultraquiet" vaio keyboard. :D

I guess it might vary per school.. but at SUNY I don't know of anyone who took notes on a laptop in class... We get most notes as powerpoint slides or some kind of handout, then your own notes and transcripts fill in the rest.

Get a mac!!!!

Don't buy Toshiba, worst mistake I ever made

Don't buy Toshiba, worst mistake I ever made

Gotta agree.. They recently had a huge class action lawsuit and had to extend warranties on laptops and repair thousands of them. My brothers would overheat every 15 mins and switch off. They had to replace half the parts in it, works ok now..

Just google "toshiba overheat" and you'll see.

I'm sure they don't have the same problem now.. but if a company hides a known flaw, and takes a lawsuit to realise the problem then I'm def not gonna buy from them again!

i as well-purchased a toshiba 5 months ago and i love it... no overheating problems - yet, lol.

aaaand i cant wait to upgrade to windows vista

Members don't see this ad :)
My sister just got the 13 inch macbook recently...she's returning it because it gets too hot and isn't as functional as her compaq laptop. Also, the mouse is a bit annoying...!! Actually, it's extremely annoying!

All laptops heat up. If you find someone who says that theirs 'doesn't' then they're not using it for anything.

As far as the right click thing goes: system preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> check box: "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click."

That's actually really conveient b/c if you use two fingers to scroll in any direction (zoom in/out by holding ctrl) it's a very elegant interface...but if you love hp/compaq laptops then what can I say really...

Get a mac... and even better, get a PINK mac!! You can customize colours for you laptop now :cool:

A laptop is convenient no matter what stage of school you're in, esp if you don't like waiting for a comp to free up :)

Actually, when I had problems with my first Toshiba (increasingly erratic shutdowns), I brought it to an authorized computer repair warehouse (they are contracted to repair for many companies), they said that Toshiba's are the most reliable. Sony's are severely overpriced, and and many of the others just suck.

I'm quite happy with my current Toshiba Satellite which I purchased for 1650 a few years back. I highly suggest getting an extended warranty on any brand of laptop since laptops are still prone to just breaking. I've had CityAdvantage repair my screen, hard drive, and cpu fan (in 3 years of ownership). I wish they just didn't break in the first place, but I guess that's just how it is.

At this point, I'd probably only buy either a Toshiba (tablet pc, way cool!), or a macbook pro. Getting a nice laptop with an extended warranty would probably pay off in the long run. I've seen friends go through HPs and Dells (all -around horrible nowadays).

I was wondering too, about getting a laptop in optometry school. I really want to get a tablet pc for when I eventually go to opt school but I don't know how often I will really need to take handwritten notes directly onto pdfs or powerpoint slides (one of the main selling points for getting it). If there really is no use for a laptop in class, serious money can be saved in getting a higher performing desktop computer.

All laptops heat up. If you find someone who says that theirs 'doesn't' then they're not using it for anything.

As far as the right click thing goes: system preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> check box: "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click."

That's actually really conveient b/c if you use two fingers to scroll in any direction (zoom in/out by holding ctrl) it's a very elegant interface...but if you love hp/compaq laptops then what can I say really...

Yes, I know all laptops heat up! Obviously I meant the macbook heated up excessively, more than expected (I have owned latptops for 6 years mate, and I use it for much, much more than simple word processing). I'll try out the system preferences option...but so far it seems a silly idea to use more than one finger to scroll/click. Just doesn't make sense from a design or convenience point of view...

so great - best thing i ever bought:)

Don't get a laptop. Save your money for something you'll actually use.

Don't get a laptop. Save your money for something you'll actually use.

:eek:
Why wouldn't someone use a laptop?? I don't think I could do anything without internet at home.. and a laptop is just so much more convenient than a desktop..

:eek:
Why wouldn't someone use a laptop?? I don't think I could do anything without internet at home.. and a laptop is just so much more convenient than a desktop..
ditto. please clarify as to why a laptop wouldnt be used