I'm currently a Junior in high school.

OoOoO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I'm worried about getting into the college of my choice, and just all this pressure from my dad. My dad said I was going to score a 22 on the ACT, and sadly that is what I got on my first ACT. I'm trying to shoot for a 27. I guess that's reasonable? I didn't study for the first ACT. Although, I might not be fully prepared, I want to take it as many times as I can to get that 27 or 28. Is it even possible to improve my score that much? I want to get accepted into STLCOP. The college that my sister goes to. Does it help that if your sister goes to a college, that you'll have a better chance of getting accepted? I don't even know if I want to do pharmacy, but I might want to go to a bigger college. I have a 4.0 GPA with honors, and I'm currently taking Kaplan classes to help me approve my ACT score. I still have 4 chances this year to take the ACT before Junior year ends. And I want to get that 27 or 28 before junior years ends. Oh god. I just feel so stressed out. Half of junior year is almost over too. :(

Members don't see this ad.

It's totally possible. I got a 21 the first time and a 25 the second with only a little more effort. I'm hoping to get a 29. Colleges mainly look at GPAs and Courses anyways; I'm sure you'll be fine... relax! haha.

Making from the bottom to the top is a very exciting way.

When I entered sophomore year in high school, I had a kindergarten equivalent reading level and failed grade 9 math. I could not do well at school and did not have any friends. After millions of failures and countless struggling between language and cultural barriers, now I finally get straight A in an English speaking country.

The same as in ACT, I got 17 in composite first time. But I am not going to give up.

Don't worry. Don't give up. Keep hanging there. You will get through. If you fail again, just get up and keep fighting.

Members don't see this ad :)

When I entered sophomore year in high school, I had a kindergarten equivalent reading level and failed grade 9 math. I could not do well at school and did not have any friends. After millions of failures and countless struggling between language and cultural barriers, now I finally get straight A in an English speaking country.

The same as in ACT, I got 17 in composite first time. But I am not going to give up.

Don't worry. Don't give up. Keep hanging there. You will get through. If you fail again, just get up and keep fighting.

Good advice :thumbup:. Just gotta keep studying.

Aw, Tennis. You're my hero! :D

And I'm worried about getting into the college of my choice, and just all this pressure from my dad. My dad said I was going to score a 22 on the ACT, and sadly that is what I got on my first ACT. I'm trying to shoot for a 27. I guess that's reasonable? I didn't study for the first ACT. Although, I might not be fully prepared, I want to take it as many times as I can to get that 27 or 28. Is it even possible to improve my score that much? I want to get accepted into STLCOP. The college that my sister goes to. Does it help that if your sister goes to a college, that you'll have a better chance of getting accepted? I don't even know if I want to do pharmacy, but I might want to go to a bigger college. I have a 4.0 GPA with honors, and I'm currently taking Kaplan classes to help me approve my ACT score. I still have 4 chances this year to take the ACT before Junior year ends. And I want to get that 27 or 28 before junior years ends. Oh god. I just feel so stressed out. Half of junior year is almost over too. :(

Don't let your dad's pressure worry you if you can help it (hard I know). I always do worse when I think I HAVE TO BE PERFECT ; just try to relax and you will probably do better.

It is certainly possible to improve that much; take pactice tests, order the detailed score reports that tell you which questions you got wrong, and study the hard parts till you understand them.
Also, being familiar with the format and directions ahead of time helps me be more comfortable on test day-less stress.

I don't think your sister will help with admissions any.

Also, I like the SAT 10000000x better than the ACT, and colleges might be more likely to superscore that test-check with your college and see. SAT has more rote-memorization vocab, and I think the math is better-not really easier, just different. The SAT problems might be a little harder, but you also have more than a minute for each problem. And the best part is...no science!:clap:

Also, I like the SAT 10000000x better than the ACT, and colleges might be more likely to superscore that test-check with your college and see.

Hey Glowworm,

Just wondering, why you took ACT some many times but not SAT ?

That was really good. Thanks.

To the OP: Don't stress out over it; stress usually isn't good. Realize that it's important and put aside time to study and prepare for it often, but don't get worked up over it. Take lots of practice tests, use ACT prep books, take a course if you need to (although I don't personally think it's worth it, you can achieve just as much or more on your own spare time with a book, IF you have the will to do it yourself without someone telling you to). You'll improve over time and you'll do fine.

Get to the point that you're comfortable with the test material and also the parameters of the test. Go in without feeling stressed or pushed, be relaxed, and ace it.

I started with the SAT earlier because my mom thought I would do better on it-and I did. So I ended up taking the SAT 4 times and the ACT 2 times. I should have done it the other way around though, Cameron likes the ACT better for scholarships.

Have you tried the SAT? Cameron might let you use an SAT score to get your fee waiver. Never hurts to try anyway. And Cameron's SAT to ACT score conversion chart is pretty generous. For instance, my SAT score converts to a 33 ACT on that chart, yet my actual ACT was 31

I haven't taken the SAT yet. I've heard it's very long and has 10 sections or something rediculous like that... me and my ADDness are very affraid.

Sat has 3 parts: Writing Math English. Or thats what i've heard anway.
Dude getting your score up probably wont be to hard. Especially since didnt study for the first one. Read the Elements of Style. Its a little gray book. It brought my English score from like a 19 to a 28. Your classes should help you with the other sections.
As for the whole sister thing. It actually might help. If she is a good student it would look favorably for you. On most college applications they ask if you have anyone whose graduated or attending the college. It does have a factor in the decision.
Dont stress to much. You'll be fine :D

I haven't taken the SAT yet. I've heard it's very long and has 10 sections or something rediculous like that... me and my ADDness are very affraid.

Yeah but on the SaT you get breaks in between every three sections or so, and you get to switch back and forth between subjects. To me it feels shorter than the ACT.

P.S.: i am actually not a sales rep for the SAT, though i probably sound like it.

Yeah but on the SaT you get breaks in between every three sections or so, and you get to switch back and forth between subjects. To me it feels shorter than the ACT.

P.S.: i am actually not a sales rep for the SAT, though i probably sound like it.

Hmm... maybe it's not quite soo scary...

They should put you on payroll. ;)