IM Electives during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Recommended elective rotations during residency? Pick top 2 please :)

• Rheum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infectious Disease

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Gastroenterology

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Pulomonary

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Extra/additional cardiology (in addition to the 1 month required by ACGME)

• Heme/onco

• Nephrology

• Dermatology

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Neurology

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Pain Medicine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently doing an endocrine elective at a University program with great teaching.... makes me realize how important it is to do key electives during residency. Also makes me realize how in FM we really do just scratch the surface on many topics.

Any other Internal Med Sub specialty rotations recommended before graduation? I be heard Rheum is a good one to do? We already do a required cardio rotation at my program. ID is very good at my hospital... anyothers?

This Endocrine rotation has really changed how I perceive so many of the common disorders we see in our clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

More Cards, more Pulm is my opinion. Based on the fact that the overwhelming majority of my pt's have issues in both these areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
My endo rotation in residency was probably my most valuable rotation outside of the wards.
If you've never done pulm, I would do pulm. ID I kinda feel like you can learn more easily on your own.

More Cards, more Pulm is my opinion. Based on the fact that the overwhelming majority of my pt's have issues in both these areas.

What topics in cards and plum do you feel like would be valuable to get more experience in?

All of them. It's just that these are such common problem areas that any extra experience is time well spent IMO.

Would it be of benefit to rotate in a field that you may not have as much experience in like rheum or gi even if they maybe less common in daily FM practice? I feel like we see enough of pulm and cardio in our day to day residency clinics?