I'm feeling like a stalker... so, Hi!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hintofblue

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reading the lurkers thread makes me feel like a stalker. I've been lurking off and on, but mostly on, since finding SDN when I first began college - never posted because my questions were largely answered and I never felt I had anything to add. Considering I'm now finishing up my sophomore year, I think I may officially qualify as a stalker. Sorry about that. Anyway, to ease that feeling, I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm a 19-year-old sophomore in college studying Animal Science. This semester was my first where I was able to start getting away from the basic prerequisites and I loved it. My roommate thinks I'm crazy since I'm taking 18 credit hours of straight science courses with plans for 21 next semester, but I'm enjoying myself. Besides, my academics have to make up for the ground I'm losing when it comes to experience.

I am not applying until next summer (c/o 2016, hopefully), but reading the forum often makes me feel like I am so far behind on experience that I can't catch up. Quite frankly, I have no veterinary experience😳. I have a variety of animal experience since I have worked with dogs, cats, horses, sheep, goats, chickens, and pocket pets. I also have about 2 years of research experience (this summer will be my third summer working in a lab full time), but the vet experience is proving elusive. I shadowed a vet for a couple of hours in high school, but that is it. I'm trying to remedy this now by getting a license/car and diving in head first this summer (hopefully without getting burnt out). I am just having a really hard time getting my foot in the door.

I'm hoping it will all work out and I'll end up working part time in a clinic (~15 hours/week since I already have the lab job). In the meantime, I'm working on getting in with the local humane society so I can get some structured animal experience behind me while I wait for vet clinics to give me a second look (and yes, I'll keep politely pestering them so they don't forget about me).

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling at this point so I'll head back into my little corner, but I promise to post occasionally.


PS: I'm currently working on a cover letter to go with my resume which I plan to drop off at several clinics in town, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write beyond "I don't have any experience, but I promise you won't regret taking me on." Any advice?
 
Reading the lurkers thread makes me feel like a stalker. I've been lurking off and on, but mostly on, since finding SDN when I first began college - never posted because my questions were largely answered and I never felt I had anything to add. Considering I'm now finishing up my sophomore year, I think I may officially qualify as a stalker. Sorry about that. Anyway, to ease that feeling, I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm a 19-year-old sophomore in college studying Animal Science. This semester was my first where I was able to start getting away from the basic prerequisites and I loved it. My roommate thinks I'm crazy since I'm taking 18 credit hours of straight science courses with plans for 21 next semester, but I'm enjoying myself. Besides, my academics have to make up for the ground I'm losing when it comes to experience.

I am not applying until next summer (c/o 2016, hopefully), but reading the forum often makes me feel like I am so far behind on experience that I can't catch up. Quite frankly, I have no veterinary experience😳. I have a variety of animal experience since I have worked with dogs, cats, horses, sheep, goats, chickens, and pocket pets. I also have about 2 years of research experience (this summer will be my third summer working in a lab full time), but the vet experience is proving elusive. I shadowed a vet for a couple of hours in high school, but that is it. I'm trying to remedy this now by getting a license/car and diving in head first this summer (hopefully without getting burnt out). I am just having a really hard time getting my foot in the door.

I'm hoping it will all work out and I'll end up working part time in a clinic (~15 hours/week since I already have the lab job). In the meantime, I'm working on getting in with the local humane society so I can get some structured animal experience behind me while I wait for vet clinics to give me a second look (and yes, I'll keep politely pestering them so they don't forget about me).

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling at this point so I'll head back into my little corner, but I promise to post occasionally.


PS: I'm currently working on a cover letter to go with my resume which I plan to drop off at several clinics in town, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write beyond "I don't have any experience, but I promise you won't regret taking me on." Any advice?


Having killer grades will definitely take you pretty far for a lot of schools. Are you considering going for the DVM/PhD or are you looking to work in private practice or something else? Do you know which schools you might be interested in? (Some don't require as much as experience as others!) Either way, you've got a ton of time. If you can get a clinic job over the summer (or even just un-paid shadowing) to get one experience and then grab another part-time during your junior year, you'll probably catch up to the "norm" of vet experience.

Don't get scared by some of us. I am going crazy with experience because I need it to make up for a less-than-stellar GPA, but since you've got the academics covered, you probably won't need to have as much of a wow-factor in terms of experience-- though that's just my opinion.
 
reading the forum often makes me feel like I am so far behind on experience that I can't catch up. Quite frankly, I have no veterinary experience😳.

Definitely keep trying for experience...experience will definitely be good to make you more competitive and more comfortable with the field.

I felt the same way when I looked at the Acceptance Stats thread. I in no way compare to a lot of the people's experience.

Numbers help though. So don't worry, too much; more experience can always be had, but fixing GPA's can be a little more difficult.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome! I think you're definitely on the right track, & I wouldn't worry too much about being behind on the vet experience, the animal & lab experience will be a nice bonus to your app in conjunction w/ a stellar GPA (not to discount vet experience, it's obviously very important, but nothing I don't think you can't catch up on at this).

For the cover letter, not real good w/ that myself, but you could try focusing it on your goals (broadening your experience for vet school, etc.) & the applicable skills you do have from your lab & animal experiences (people / communication skills, leadership experience, lab equipment use, animal handling, quick learner, attention to detail, etc.) with possibly short examples. Somewhat from the perspective of "I could benefit your clinic b/c..." or "I could perform this job well b/c..." (Of course more eloquently, preferably, lol). Also potentially including why you would like to work at that specific clinic if there's something special / standout about it.

Good Luck!
 
Don't lab hours of experience gained under the supervision of someone with a PhD count as vet experience? You might not be as far behind as you think, if so, but definitely put yourself out there to gain clinical experience either way, particularly since admissions committees love applicants with a wide breadth of experience. It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep it up!
 
Welcome Hintofblue! I too am a sophmore...just turned 20 in january. I agree keep putting yourself out there to try and gain vet experience. It took me forever and I feel like I went to every clinic within a 100 mile radius (ok total exaggeration) but you get the point. Eventually something will turn up. In the mean time keep rocking the GPA, a bad one is hard to fix (much to my dismay) Anyhow welcome...never be afraid to post!
 
Fixing your GPA is a bitch. The only part I was able to appreciably change was my Last 45 GPA.
 
Awwww, I feel so welcomed. Thanks guys.

I definitely appreciate the encouragement on the GPA and the lack of experience. I've had some stressful times trying to maintain it as I feel I can only go down from here. I actually have a semi downward trend at the moment b/c I started with a 4.0 and then got a couple B's (and to be honest, I was more proud of those B's than some of my A's), but I don't see how they'd fault me for that if my overall is still pretty high (It should be ~3.8 after this semester). I still feel behind on experience, but hearing that others have been there makes me feel better. I have to keep reminding myself that I can always take a gap year to gain experience if all else fails.


To answer a few questions:

-marycatherine, I am currently leaning towards a private mixed practice type situation, but I haven't ruled out anything. I like research, so I've considered the DVM/PhD, but I don't. This is actually one of the things I like about vet med, there are so many paths you can take. Also, in terms of schools, I am leaning towards Auburn since it will be my best option financially (I'm a KY resident)

-OnceBitten, I've heard that PhD research counts as veterinary experience, but I was under the impression it depends on the individual school. Either way, I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to veterinary school without significant experience in the traditional veterinary environment.

-smilin1590, I'm hoping something does turn up. I feel like my classmates have no trouble finding positions all over town, but I have to remind myself they are often working hours that can't be good for a GPA and some of them simply have better connections than I do. I just have to keep trying until someone says yes.