I'm getting a minor surgery soon during interview season, wondering how this might affect interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm likely gonna get an elbow surgery soon.
Wondering if it is looked down upon my adcoms during interviews if i come in like that?

Not really familiar with interview etiquette . cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by "recovering". Arm still in a sling? Cool, life happens. Still stoned from residual anesthesia? Perhaps not the best decision, unless you're applying at Target. (When I was 18 and trying to get a summer job, I got called by a manager at Target just a couple hours after I'd had my wisdom teeth out. She hired me anyway and later told me it was pretty obvious I was loopy at the time. Still not sure why that didn't put her off.)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm likely gonna get an elbow surgery soon.
Wondering if it is looked down upon my adcoms during interviews if i come in like that?

Not really familiar with interview etiquette .
If your pupils don't look normal and your responses are inappropriate, it would be looked down on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends what you mean by "recovering". Arm still in a sling? Cool, life happens. Still stoned from residual anesthesia? Perhaps not the best decision, unless you're applying at Target. (When I was 18 and trying to get a summer job, I got called by a manager at Target just a couple hours after I'd had my wisdom teeth out. She hired me anyway and later told me it was pretty obvious I was loopy at the time. Still not sure why that didn't put her off.)

Because turnover at Target is 50% per year.

Reactions: 1 users

There's not a single part of this comment that didn't make me laugh!:laugh::laugh:

Please don't ever leave SDN! :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
haha now i know what to do!
*looks at leg*

haha wait maybe im thinking about this all wrong. im getting major surgery in early 2019. been worried about finishing all interviews before then. maybe i needn't worry as much. it's a back surgery though so i think that'd be a bit different lol.

Can I shadow your surgery?

Lol jk. Just some premed humor ;)

My mentor called me a few hours after my rotator cuff repair to try to poach me from my then attending job. I don't recall all that was discussed but when I spoke to him later about it for more details evidently he didn't realize I was high at the time so I guess I was able to hide it better.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a walking boot a few weeks post-surgery and no one even asked about it! As long as you're off the pain meds, it shouldn't be a problem.