I'm goin to miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me454555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Buenvenidos a miami

Just like the song says, I'm gonna be in Miami for the next month on a rotation. I know some of the posters here are residents at Jackson Memorial so please drop me a PM cause I got some Qs on a program

Members don't see this ad.

Who all are residents at U/M?

Anyone know Dr. Sinclair or Dr. Steadman?

I know Dr. Sinclair

Cool guy and great OR teacher

Im at Jackson.....and another quick point, this is not a sweatshop program....lol Definetly not a cush program, but yje hours are not brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a resident here at Miami , jacksom memorial
hope u got all ur questions answered , if any left I would be more than happy to answer all .... I know all the + and _ in the program ..

Sorry guys from different opera, but how is surgery program at Miami?

I know Dr. Sinclair

Im at Jackson.....and another quick point, this is not a sweatshop program....lol Definetly not a cush program, but yje hours are not brutal.

Is Dr. Sinclair still at Miami?

Yes, still at UM/Jackson.

Didnt he come from Alabama? You personally now him Mil? Was he in your group? Why did he leave, if he was in your group?

You can PM me if you rather not put his bizness outhere, thats if if you know him.

Buenvenidos a miami

Just like the song says, I'm gonna be in Miami for the next month on a rotation. I know some of the posters here are residents at Jackson Memorial so please drop me a PM cause I got some Qs on a program

My M.D. alma mater.

Best of luck.

And enjoy South Beach.

Hi! Got an invite from Jackson-Memorial, wanted to know about the program...camaderie among residents? would you consider it malignant? how approachable are attendings? Do they send out a large number of interview invites? What time do residents arrive in the morning and go home? What is a typical call like? I'm interested in either critical care or trauma eventually and that's part of why I'm so interested in the program. What about the PICIS system? Where are the residents from, mostly UM students? I couldn't find a list of residents online. I

Hi,

I see that you are a gas guy. I'm applying for anesthesia this year, and I'm all but dying to get into a residency in Miami (even if just a prelim/transitional spot) I'm trying to decide on whether to take an interview for a surgery prelim spot over an anesthesia interview. I've been lucky and have gotten a healthy dose of interviews in anesthesia already. What are the hours for IM or surgery prelims at Jackson memorial?

Also, any tips for applying for anesthesiology there?

Thanks alot

I really appreciate it

I know Dr. Sinclair

I did my residency in Miami a while a go, It was different then, I heared that they Improved many things.
Did you mean Dr. Joy Steadman? I thought she left JMH and went back to west Virginia.

Yes...Joy...and she's not in WVU...she's my partner right now.

Hi! Got an invite from Jackson-Memorial, wanted to know about the program...camaderie among residents? would you consider it malignant? how approachable are attendings? Do they send out a large number of interview invites? What time do residents arrive in the morning and go home? What is a typical call like? I'm interested in either critical care or trauma eventually and that's part of why I'm so interested in the program. What about the PICIS system? Where are the residents from, mostly UM students? I couldn't find a list of residents online. I

Camraderie...We are allegedly now the biggest program in the country, so as you can imagine there is plenty of opportunities to make friends conversely with a program of this size you are bound to have personality issues with a few people. All in all camraderie is here.

Malignant...There are +/- 80 attendings on faculty plus others at outside hospitals we rotate through. In my experience I have not had a "malignant" one, a few lazy ones, a few who dont care but majority are willing to teach if you are willing to learn and come prepared to learn. I think attendings have bonuses tied to evals by residents!

Attendings are generally cool, and few you will go out and party like a rockstar with, seriously!

PICIS- are in every OR at Jackson. Its ok. The main benefits are obvious but there are downsides. First, you have to open it up and get it running, which is not fun when you have a trauma patient with an open chest that is flying back to the OR. It records everything, everything, everything, and everything.

Residents(~100)- I would guestimate that a 1/4 to 1/3 are UM grads. The rest are from all over the US. And a small minority from outside the US( India, Lebanon, Belgium, Europe, Cuba, Brazil). All in all a diverse group, with some interesting backrounds.

Dynamics of program....basically broken up into monthly rotations

CA-1

1. Trauma-Trauma here has its own hospital(ICU's/wards six OR's/etc..), call is Q4, as a junior you come in on your call day at 2pm, see preops and if on Tuesday go to lecture from 3:30-5. Then you work! Call is often very busy lots of blunt and penetrating trauma. P.S.-great rotation to get friendly with highway troopers and cops- helps if you have a lead foot...lol/jk

2. Main OR- the beast of all beast..26 ORs, Q4 call. When on call you come in and start your 7:30 case. At 3ish you will get relieved to eat, sleep, study, surf the internet, fix drug discrepencies, smoke, etc...Then depending on how busy it is you will get called back to work usually no earlier than 7:30. When not on call you generally will get relieved at 3:30 to see you preops for the next day and then go home. MOR can be very busy until 11 or so, then it seems to shut down. But you can and will have cases i.e transplants of all various ilk going in the middle of the night. Nothing like starting a bean at 4AM! P.S- there is a preopclinic for AMB/AM admits which you dont rotate thru, in which an electronic eval will be generated and e-mailed to you, including labs and studies(this is a good thing)

3. VA- Well its the VA. 8 ORs Q5ish homecall except saturdays. You will be last out on call and first out postcall. No postcall day off unless you work past 9ish or so. Very good rotation, daily resident driven morning conferences.

4. Slyvester Cancer center- 4 ORs. You see and get to intubate lots of funky airways. The call is q4. It is home call. In general no cutting on weekends, so they are free. Downside is you often find yourself stuck in a room at 5pm "postcall".

5. Bascom Palmer eye Institute-q4 ish homecall. In general free weekends. You will become a MACdaddy at this place.

6. Mt. Sinai- 14 ORs. q5 in house call, postcall day off. You see how private practice is, with quick turnovers, lots of LMA's and relatively quick surgeries. Busy.

7. ICU-

a. VA- anesthesia run, absolute tremendous rotation. You get a tremendous amount of teaching, lots of lectures, and great attendings. Q4 call

b. Trauma ICU- surgery/anesthesia run. This rotation is plus minus depending on your personality and what attendings are rounding that month. In general can be a great rotation in terms of running codes, placing CT's, bedside trachs and central line placement.

And well that is the scoop on the core stuff here at UM. Unfortunately my fingers are getting tired, but if you want to know about subspecialty rotations or anything else let me know.

Hi! Got an invite from Jackson-Memorial, wanted to know about the program...camaderie among residents? would you consider it malignant? how approachable are attendings? Do they send out a large number of interview invites? What time do residents arrive in the morning and go home? What is a typical call like? I'm interested in either critical care or trauma eventually and that's part of why I'm so interested in the program. What about the PICIS system? Where are the residents from, mostly UM students? I couldn't find a list of residents online. I[/QUOTE

oops....double post

Dr. Steadman was my attending and she is a great Anesthesiologist and teacher.
Where are you practicing militarymd?

Chairman of the Education committee ..... can't say much more than that.

We hit it off right away.... So she joined my group last July....check your PM>

....Anyone care to comment about call schedule?