1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I'm going to take a year off, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kirexhana, Apr 21, 2004.

1. kirexhana

kirexhana Make Me A Sandwich.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, I'm going to be 19 when I get my BS (Biochem) and go on to med school (if i get in). But, I'm really looking forward to taking time off after I graduate to live a little and maybe deferring till the year after. Which schools have deferral programs (did i spell that right?) and what should I do during my time off? I was considering getting research or volunteer work outside the US, just anything other than school.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member

Almost all schools will let you defer for a year, especially if you have a solid project you plan on doing during the year off. You basically just write them a letter with what your plans are, and unless it's a marginal reason or they have a complicated situation (too many deferral requests in a year, for example), they grant it.

4. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    get some volunteer work experience..it fires you up for med school
    there are many programs outside the US and you can sign up for them, it's much better if you do it outside the US..and it cost cheaper too

5. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm, so young. Why don't you travel a bit, if you've got the resources/money? There are even some programs and labs (biochem) that let you volunteer in medicine elsewhere (Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe) so you can see the world a bit plus solidify your interest in medicine. Going abroad lets you see different things and matures you a bit too (not saying you're not mature! it's just in a different way).

6. ewing

ewing Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stay away from SDN for a year...it's so peaceful to be away from the rat race. Then come back and tell us all how to succeed in med school, though, of course.

7. bosox03

bosox03 Believe
    10+ Year Member

Most importantly, do something that you want to do. Don't just do something because it seems like it will help you get into medical school. Enjoy yourself.