I'm going to take a year off, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirexhana

Make Me A Sandwich.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be 19 when I get my BS (Biochem) and go on to med school (if i get in). But, I'm really looking forward to taking time off after I graduate to live a little and maybe deferring till the year after. Which schools have deferral programs (did i spell that right?) and what should I do during my time off? I was considering getting research or volunteer work outside the US, just anything other than school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

kirexhana said:
Ok, I'm going to be 19 when I get my BS (Biochem) and go on to med school (if i get in). But, I'm really looking forward to taking time off after I graduate to live a little and maybe deferring till the year after. Which schools have deferral programs (did i spell that right?) and what should I do during my time off? I was considering getting research or volunteer work outside the US, just anything other than school.

Thanks

Almost all schools will let you defer for a year, especially if you have a solid project you plan on doing during the year off. You basically just write them a letter with what your plans are, and unless it's a marginal reason or they have a complicated situation (too many deferral requests in a year, for example), they grant it.

get some volunteer work experience..it fires you up for med school
there are many programs outside the US and you can sign up for them, it's much better if you do it outside the US..and it cost cheaper too

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, so young. Why don't you travel a bit, if you've got the resources/money? There are even some programs and labs (biochem) that let you volunteer in medicine elsewhere (Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe) so you can see the world a bit plus solidify your interest in medicine. Going abroad lets you see different things and matures you a bit too (not saying you're not mature! it's just in a different way).

Stay away from SDN for a year...it's so peaceful to be away from the rat race. Then come back and tell us all how to succeed in med school, though, of course.

Most importantly, do something that you want to do. Don't just do something because it seems like it will help you get into medical school. Enjoy yourself.