IM. GONNA. VENT./pharmacy vs medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FRESCA12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. Alright.. ready?
I am a junior at a private university that offers a great pre-medical program and 6 year pharmacy program as well. I went into the school hoping to give myself alternatives in the future, and have my Plan A and B handy.

Well, now no matter when I think about my decision about whether I want to do pharmacy in 7 years and get it over with or go into medicine, my head feels like it's going to explode from the inside. I "make up my mind" every other week and then put my body and brain through the grueling process again.
It's come to the point, where I feel like I am going to freeze up and do nothing. I am convinced I will be miserable as a pharmacist, however, i am often told that the ability to still be in healthcare, have a family life and make a decent salary will compensate for any dislike I might have for my job.
Medicine is what I want to do, but after learning about the reality of the lifestyle and emotional/physical/mental toll of it, I find that I am convincing myself that I won't make it, why even try and then I don't have to go through the grueling work/debt and stress that will come with it. I spent two summers around medical students and doctors and have learned about going through the school and residency and actually practicing even, but that has seemed to cloud my "im gonna be a doctor" happy go lucky drive.

So to summarize. pharmacy or medicine decision WILL kill me or at least cause me to freeze up and not do anything.
I worked my first shift today at Walgreens as a pharmacy cashier, and the idea of going to Walgreens every day for the rest of my life.. makes me feel like jumping off of a bridge. No offense to any Walgreens pharmacists. However, the only job I had before this was a bridal consultant, so I don't know if it's the pharmacy or the retail store environment in general that caused my reaction. haha

Anyways, I am going to be a pharmacy tech to see what it's like. However, I need to take the MCAT in March, or apply for pharmacy in November, so I need to decide now.

If you have anything to say.. positive/negative, if you would like to give me a piece of your mind for whining or give me a word of advice, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi.. Alright.. ready?
I am a junior at a private university that offers a great pre-medical program and 6 year pharmacy program as well. I went into the school hoping to give myself alternatives in the future, and have my Plan A and B handy.

Well, now no matter when I think about my decision about whether I want to do pharmacy in 7 years and get it over with or go into medicine, my head feels like it's going to explode from the inside. I "make up my mind" every other week and then put my body and brain through the grueling process again.
It's come to the point, where I feel like I am going to freeze up and do nothing. I am convinced I will be miserable as a pharmacist, however, i am often told that the ability to still be in healthcare, have a family life and make a decent salary will compensate for any dislike I might have for my job.
Medicine is what I want to do, but after learning about the reality of the lifestyle and emotional/physical/mental toll of it, I find that I am convincing myself that I won't make it, why even try and then I don't have to go through the grueling work/debt and stress that will come with it. I spent two summers around medical students and doctors and have learned about going through the school and residency and actually practicing even, but that has seemed to cloud my "im gonna be a doctor" happy go lucky drive.

So to summarize. pharmacy or medicine decision WILL kill me or at least cause me to freeze up and not do anything.
I worked my first shift today at Walgreens as a pharmacy cashier, and the idea of going to Walgreens every day for the rest of my life.. makes me feel like jumping off of a bridge. No offense to any Walgreens pharmacists. However, the only job I had before this was a bridal consultant, so I don't know if it's the pharmacy or the retail store environment in general that caused my reaction. haha

Anyways, I am going to be a pharmacy tech to see what it's like. However, I need to take the MCAT in March, or apply for pharmacy in November, so I need to decide now.
What really has me considering pharmacy again is a few observations.
1. my brother just started medical school, he's a genius!!, but he's struggling like no other.
2. My uni allows students into the pharmacy program without taking the PCAT, and with a year of bio, chem and organic. I have all the requirements done right now, all i'll need to do is apply. So with pharmacy I am almost guaranteed in, while with medicine I still need to work my behind off for a couple years before the real fun begins.
3. My friends are engaged..about to graduate.. ready to start out their lives. I want to travel.. I want to be married and wait before having kids so I live a little.. Getting done at 30 makes me feel like I am gonna skip that portion of my life.

Wow, I didn't knwo I even had all this in me.

anyways.
Yes, I have shadowed doctors. EM is what I would definitely go for in medicine.
I started as a pharmacy tech, but retail pharmacy would never be it for me. For hospital, in-patient pharmacy I hear that the experience is still similar. Pharmacy techs do a lot, while the pharmacists sit and verify.

again, I don't mean to show disrespect for either profession, I wouldn't be so torn if I had my opinions all set.

Other than shadowing, what else would you recommend for figuring this out. People tell me I need to do some "soul searching", but I don't know how that works.. i am very logical. There's two choices and one of them is the right one for me. but which one. Follow dreams and risk it, or be practical and have a decent job/salary/lifestyle. Worst comes to worst go back to bridal? joke.

Thanks guys. All comments are welcome

If you have anything to say.. positive/negative, if you would like to give me a piece of your mind for whining or give me a word of advice, I appreciate it.

Do you want us to decide for you? I think half a dozen of the people in the over-supply pharmacist thread will tell you to go MD :laugh:

I hear the over-supply of pharmacist is not gonna happen for another 45 years. There's a shortage of 400,000 pharmacist right now and with the eighty something schools producing about 100 students every year, and retiring pharmacists, it will take them around 40 years to reach the maximum potential. So as long as you're willing to move, you'll find a job.

I wish I could let someone decide haha but noo,
I need you guys to tell me what has led you to pharmacy, why did you choose it. What helped you make your decision..

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go into pharmacy. Bust your ass in your four years of med school, get good step scores, and get into a GOOD residency like derm (the holy grail), radiology, or ENT. Those specialties give you good hours, GREAT salary (way more than a pharmacist's salary), and an easy lifestyle.

Either way, if you don't enjoy pharmacy, please don't come into the field. We need people who actually want to be in the field and care about the pharmacy profession.

To sum up, you think you will hate pharmacy as a job but you can still have a life. You like medicine but don't think you will like the lifestyle which can be quite grueling. And you have to make a decision between the two.

Have you considered that either of these choices is not right for you? Why do a job that you will hate? Why have a lifestyle that is all about the job when you want other things out of life? Why does this have to be an either or choice when there are thousands of other options?

You don't have to decide right now even though it seems like you do. Pharmacy school and med school are not going away. You can explore other options and if you decide at a future point that you really want to be a pharmacist or doctor, you can always try to get into school then. There are nontraditional students in both. The problem with both choices is that the barrier to entry is quite high and you might find yourself trapped in a career you hate just because you sunk so many years and money into getting there. Wouldn't you rather know it is what you want than end up stuck with a life you don't want because you felt pressured to make a decision when you were so young?

Your dislike of pharmacy seems based solely on retail. How about you get some clinical experience and see if that working environment is more your style?

I chose pharmacy for a few reasons:

- I love chemistry
- I want to work to live... Not live to work
- I want to have time for my family one day
- and there are TONS more things to do as a pharmacist other than retail

Those are my main reasons. But I feel especially drawn to pharmacy and I've worked in hospital pharmacy and loved it. You have to look deep down and listen to your gut here.

I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago. When I first started college, I could not decide between MD and Pharmacy. I knew I would be happy in either, but then I started looking at the pros and cons and I knew that Pharmacy was the right choice for me.
I am just like you, I like to travel and have fun, and I did not want to miss out on anything. I got married young, right out of high school. My husband and I don't have any kids, so we have plenty of time for fun. I could not imagine going through the Med school and loosing all this. I have heard so many people get divorced because Med School is so demanding, and others that are not married have a hard time getting a relationship. So you would probably not date much. If you want to get married and have kids, you will probably be around 35 when it happens. Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions, but they are rare.
Then I got a job at CVS as a tech-in-training, and I hated it for the first week because I didn't know much so it was boring for me. As I learned things and became friends with the rest of the Pharmacy staff, and got to know our customers by name, it all changed. And I could not wait to go to work, because I enjoyed what I did. After few months I knew that this is what I wanted to do with my life. And I never looked back. Now I am 22, and I am applying to the PharmD program for the next fall. The school I am applying to has a 3 year accelerated program so if I get accepted :xf:, I should graduate by the time I am 26. And I am sure I will still have time to do all kinds of fun stuff even when I am in Pharmacy school.

Don't miss out...

I hear the over-supply of pharmacist is not gonna happen for another 45 years. There's a shortage of 400,000 pharmacist right now and with the eighty something schools producing about 100 students every year, and retiring pharmacists, it will take them around 40 years to reach the maximum potential. So as long as you're willing to move, you'll find a job.

I wish I could let someone decide haha but noo,
I need you guys to tell me what has led you to pharmacy, why did you choose it. What helped you make your decision..

Where the hell did you hear that? Because you're dead wrong.

I'm a clinical pharmacist who very seriously considered giving up my PGY-2 to pursue medicine.

No matter what anyone tells you, pick the field where you feel you will be the HAPPIEST. No one person can tell you one way or the other. What are your priorities? Career? Family? etc...

I actually took the MCATS and surprisingly enough my pharmacy background allowed me to score well. However, for me I rather work an 8-4 or a 7-3 in pharmaceutical industry in regulatory affairs rather than pursue the long hours in medicine. I have every weekend and every major holiday off. My parents, close friends and pharmacy preceptors did not support this decision, but I was OK with it based on what I wanted.

I'm 30 years old, so I know I want kids and a family life. I have made my peace with not going to medical school. No matter what anyone else says I am a 100% OK with my decision.

I wish you the best. No matter what you choose simply accept the fact that hard work will be required. Feel free to private message me of you have any questions.

Last edited:
I'm a clinical pharmacist who very seriously considered giving up my PGY-2 to pursue medicine.

No matter what anyone tells you, pick the field where you feel you will be the HAPPIEST. No one person can tell you one way or the other. What are your priorities? Career? Family? etc...

I actually took the MCATS and surprisingly enough my pharmacy background allowed me to score well. However, for me I rather work an 8-4 or a 7-3 in pharmaceutical industry in regulatory affairs rather than pursue the long hours in medicine. I have every weekend and every major holiday off. My parents, close friends and pharmacy preceptors did not support this decision, but I was OK with it based on what I wanted.

I'm 30 years old, so I know I want kids and a family life. I have made my piece with not going to medical school. No matter what anyone else says I am a 100% OK with my decision.

I wish you the best. No matter what you choose simply accept the fact that hard work will be required. Feel free to private message me of you have any questions.

I'm pursuing industry also. Reg. Affairs is what I'm going for now also, but I am open to all the different fields in pharma. Can always moonlight in retail once or twice a week. Best of both worlds

Members don't see this ad :)
Please do tell.

The market for pharmacists is saturated in most areas. Yes - you can find a job. But it may be in Compton or Queens. It may be the night shift. You aren't getting a sign-on bonus. And new schools are opening at a huge rate. There are already over 12,000 pharmacy students graduating a year. Less pharmacists are retiring. Retail chains have slowed expansion considerably. Every single place I've applied to intern at has told me that they are on a hiring freeze for all pharmacy positions.

Pharmacy is no longer a guaranteed profession. The shortage is long gone.

The market for pharmacists is saturated in most areas. Yes - you can find a job. But it may be in Compton or Queens. It may be the night shift. You aren't getting a sign-on bonus. And new schools are opening at a huge rate. There are already over 12,000 pharmacy students graduating a year. Less pharmacists are retiring. Retail chains have slowed expansion considerably. Every single place I've applied to intern at has told me that they are on a hiring freeze for all pharmacy positions.

Pharmacy is no longer a guaranteed profession. The shortage is long gone.

I read the same horror stories about every health profession, but I don't want to be a dentist and nursing is a def no go.

I read the same horror stories about every health profession, but I don't want to be a dentist and nursing is a def no go.

I'd probably say the only "safe" career right now is medicine, but things are getting bad for them as well.

Probably dependent on specialty...

i don't think there is any specialty in medicine that is anywhere near as bad as pharmacy in terms of job outlook. when i say things are getting bad for them i'm mainly talking decreased reimbursements, government intervention, etc... things that make their job even more of a pain in the ass.

i don't think there is any specialty in medicine that is anywhere near as bad as pharmacy in terms of job outlook. when i say things are getting bad for them i'm mainly talking decreased reimbursements, government intervention, etc... things that make their job even more of a pain in the ass.

Optometry is worse than pharmacy by far- check out their doom and gloom posts, Same thing with audiology, physical therapy, clinical psychology and all that stuff.

Optometry is worse than pharmacy by far- check out their doom and gloom posts, Same thing with audiology, physical therapy, clinical psychology and all that stuff.

even dentists are having trouble finding work from what I've heard.

No hospital around here is hiring a GP...

cmon man don't be a doctor, they use science and all that stuff :thumbdown:.

Count pills all day ---> make six figs

choice is obvious

:smuggrin:

cmon man don't be a doctor, they use science and all that stuff :thumbdown:.

Count pills all day ---> make six figs

choice is obvious

:smuggrin:

I really feel like people need to just pick which profession suits them best. If you don't your just gonna dwell on the doom and gloom posts of each profession. Everyone's gonna tell you the same negatives. Oh I see it with the Vet posts too- all of them actually. The crap I hear with new dentists is stuff about having to start with a large group that treats you as a walmart dental mill until you can break away and start your own thing. I just know pharmacy is the best fit for me personally.

Don't go into pharmacy. Bust your ass in your four years of med school, get good step scores, and get into a GOOD residency like derm (the holy grail), radiology, or ENT. Those specialties give you good hours, GREAT salary (way more than a pharmacist's salary), and an easy lifestyle.

Either way, if you don't enjoy pharmacy, please don't come into the field. We need people who actually want to be in the field and care about the pharmacy profession.

I'd rather be a Plastic Surgeon. Walk into a bar or a club. Introduce yourself to a hot chick, say you're a plastic surgeon, and then tell the chick she's only a 7/10 or 8/10, but you can turn her into a 10/10. :cool:

I'd rather be a Plastic Surgeon. Walk into a bar or a club. Introduce yourself to a hot chick, say you're a plastic surgeon, and then tell the chick she's only a 7/10 or 8/10, but you can turn her into a 10/10. :cool:
Now this man is thinking on his feet.:smuggrin::thumbup:

I am convinced I will be miserable as a pharmacist

Do what you love to do. If you aren't motivated to work as a pharmacist, don't bring down those around you (including your patients) just so you can make 6 figures and have time for family.

Medicine is what I want to do, but after learning about the reality of the lifestyle and emotional/physical/mental toll of it, I find that I am convincing myself that I won't make it, why even try and then I don't have to go through the grueling work/debt and stress that will come with it.

You've gotten this far, haven't you? If you have solid grades and have had experience that reaffirms your love for medicine, then what have you got to lose (other than thousands of dollars if you're wrong ;) )Some confidence and optimism can go a long way in your case.

Watch the show Nip/Tuck. The character Christian Troy is the ****ing man.
I will when I have time. Right now I'm waiting for season 3 of "The Big Bang Theory". Oh Sheldon how you are the man.:smuggrin:

I got into pharmacy because of a year of experience at an independent pharmacy. I have big plans for my pharmacy career, and they involve independent business ventures if I can kick some hospital butt.

If I can't find a job after simultaneously working 2 internships during the summer and school, which would be insane, I'm going on tour with my guitar. Serious.

I also like pharmacy because it gives me enough time to play plenty of guitar, which also makes me a bit of money :D Every little bit helps.

Might be rockin' a bar, coffee house, or something else near you someday - who knows?

Jinga