I'm guessing that you've all been waiting for this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oldbearprofessor

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
I'm only from the #5 hospital ;-) but these rankings are simply a measure of reputation, if you read the methodology. There is very little data involved in them. CHOP and Boston have definitely done a fine job building a reputation and providing top notch pediatric care. It will be interesting to see where my institution ends up once we have brand new facilities in the form of a brand new children's hospital. It may not change. But it's all about perceptions of reputation. Taken with a grain of salt.
 
Ah... rankings.

"A tie between Boston Children's and CHOP! How am I going to choose?????"

Well if you live in Westport CT, which is near exactly between the two cities, you'd probably have to flip a coin. Then again, Yale is right down the road, so you'd probably go there instead.

I would be interested to know, though I know that it would never get reported, how much money is spent per patient (mean and median) at each of these hospitals. Since the US spends more then any other country on healthcare, but has has one of the highest infant mortality rates among industrialized nations, I wonder what the hospital ranks would say about healthcare dollars spent to outcomes. I mean, medicine can keep people alive nearly indefinitely, but not without a significant price (money and disability).

Since I agree with michigangirl that the rankings are about reputation, I would also be interested in learning hospital dollar spent for PR and marketing in their relation to ranking.

Anyway, rankings always make me laugh.