I'm having major anxiety!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChronoVII

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm feeling really anxious....about 2 months ago, I realized my true path in life. I really want to be a doctor. I have a BS and MS in bioengineering and I'm currently working as a systems coordinator at a small clinic. I realized that despite being paid relatively well, I really want to be on the front lines of healthcare. I volunteer 4 hours a week at an ER and in those 4 hours, i am soooo much happier than the 40 i work every week.

But I need some advice

Here's my stats:
I'm just about to hit 27 years old.
Undergrad cGPA = 3.39
Grad cGPA = 3.93
sGPA = well i'm not really sure how to best calculate this. I'm honestly not sure what to include and what not to include. Any advice on this? Do i count my grad classes? In any case, it's not that great...i think it may be like 3.00 - 3.25
MCAT = not taken yet

I'm really, really worried that my GPA. My undergrad wasn't that good. And my science GPA isn't great either. How will this affect my chances of getting into med school? ( I prefer to go the allo route)

Please give me your honest feed back. Do I have a chance? Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA when calculated by the application services (AMCAS for MD, AACOMAS for DO) will include only undergraduate biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses. It won't include grad classes, your graduate GPA is separate on the application.

Did you take all the undergrad science pre-reqs? I would imagine you have taken most, if not all of them given your graduate degree in bioengineering.

Hi All,

I'm feeling really anxious....about 2 months ago, I realized my true path in life. I really want to be a doctor. I have a BS and MS in bioengineering and I'm currently working as a systems coordinator at a small clinic. I realized that despite being paid relatively well, I really want to be on the front lines of healthcare. I volunteer 4 hours a week at an ER and in those 4 hours, i am soooo much happier than the 40 i work every week.

But I need some advice

Here's my stats:
I'm just about to hit 27 years old.
Undergrad cGPA = 3.39
Grad cGPA = 3.93
sGPA = well i'm not really sure how to best calculate this. I'm honestly not sure what to include and what not to include. Any advice on this? Do i count my grad classes? In any case, it's not that great...i think it may be like 3.00 - 3.25
MCAT = not taken yet

I'm really, really worried that my GPA. My undergrad wasn't that good. And my science GPA isn't great either. How will this affect my chances of getting into med school? ( I prefer to go the allo route)

Please give me your honest feed back. Do I have a chance? Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Do ur best on the MCAT, do u have other ECs especially volunteering and perhaps some research? Ur gpa's below avg but that doesn't mean all doors a re shut, it just means u need to be smart/strategic with ur application (apply early and carefully select ur schools..)

goodluck..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your quick reponses. I still have orgo 1 and 2 as well as bio 2 to take. do you think that I should possibly retake physics? I got a c in it the first time. As for ECs, I have about 260 hours at a PET center and working on another 200 or so in an ER. Any ECs you guys recommend? I am also aimming high on the MCAT. I hope med schools look at my upward trends and take my high grad GPA into account.

3.39 gpa is fine for most schools. The only exceptions are probably the UC's. Rock the MCAT (35+, no excuses!), apply early, apply to many schools, and apply broadly (all over the US and to all types of MD schools). Expect interviews and acceptances a bit later in the season than others.

Your clinical volunteering sound great! Have you shadowed docs yet? If not, perhaps that might be something to look into if you have time.

3.39 gpa is fine for most schools. The only exceptions are probably the UC's. Rock the MCAT (35+, no excuses!), apply early, apply to many schools, and apply broadly (all over the US and to all types of MD schools). Expect interviews and acceptances a bit later in the season than others.

Your clinical volunteering sound great! Have you shadowed docs yet? If not, perhaps that might be something to look into if you have time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will definitely do my best on the MCAT. I work in a clinic and i have pretty good relationships with the doctors there. I'm free to shadow them at any time.

Thank you all for the replies. It's really helped calm my pounding heart a little bit.

YOU CAN DO IT! Have you considered a post-bac program? Some, like Temple, will actually guarantee you a spot in their med school if you complete their post-bac program.

Last edited: