I'm hugely undecided...... need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NP??MD??

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking around here for quite some time and finally decided to post. I'm 34 and as far as everyone in my life knows working toward a nursing degree. The thing is though that I can't get this idea of going to medical school instead out of my head. I have a huge list of why this isn't going to happen, but I keep coming back to it. I went back to school after having 3 kids, so my life is very full and busy, and a part of me thinks I should just get my nursing degree, apply to the Master's program and be an NP, which in the right setting I could probably be happy with, I just don't want to get that far and still feel unfulfilled. At the same time I don't know if it is at all practical to put my family through the ordeal of med school.

If I pursued medical school, I would be around 37 by the time I was applying. Is that too old? Would I have to have outstanding grades to even be considered at that age?

I am really seriously torn. I have made every decision in my life with the philosophy of having absolutely no regrets in the end. I'm afraid not going to medical school will be the first. :(

Members don't see this ad.

NP??MD?? said:
Is that too old?
Age should never be a limiting factor. At 37, you'll be younger than I was when I started medical school.
NP??MD?? said:
Would I have to have outstanding grades to even be considered at that age?
No. At any age, you only need competitive grades. But like any applicant, you should be able to convey that your desire to be a physician is logical and well thought out.
NP??MD?? said:
...and be an NP, which in the right setting I could probably be happy with, I just don't want to get that far and still feel unfulfilled.
Can you be happy as an RN or an NP? Sure you can. But it's less likely you'll be happy if you're hoping this can be a replacement for being a physician. Check out this link for comments on NP vs MD for nontraditional applicants.

If becoming a physician is what you really want, and if you have the ability, you should seriously consider it. Imagine yourself at age 45, and looking back to this year. What regrets will you have if you did't go to medical school? What regrets will you have if you did go?

I'd recommend shadowing and information-interviewing nurses and doctors, especially if you have friends who are either. They will give you a realistic idea of how well suited you are to each field. Right now you don't have enough info to make a good decision.

I decided against nursing because it was going to take longer than med school (by the time I got done with prereqs and everything else), and a very good friend of mine who's an RN told me I'd last about 5 minutes as a nurse.

You might also consider PA school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you. My best friend is a physician and he has encouraged me to go to med school all along, but he also has 3 kids, knows what a perfectionist I am, and says he doesn't know how I would balance both without driving myself crazy. I guess right now my plan is to finish my BS next year and apply to nursing school and see if I get accepted and go from there. Thanks to my indecision these last few years, and my perpetual student status, at least I get to graduate next year no matter what!

NP??MD?? said:
Thanks to both of you. My best friend is a physician and he has encouraged me to go to med school all along, but he also has 3 kids, knows what a perfectionist I am, and says he doesn't know how I would balance both without driving myself crazy. I guess right now my plan is to finish my BS next year and apply to nursing school and see if I get accepted and go from there. Thanks to my indecision these last few years, and my perpetual student status, at least I get to graduate next year no matter what!

I have several friends in my class with 2 kids under 5yo. Both friends are females with supportive husbands. One has a husband who works at home, the other's husband works as an engineer and their parents help during the day. Med school is tough but not impossible with kids, especially if you are only shooting for an MD, and dont care if you are in the top of the class.