I’m stuck inbetween applying to SMPs this cycle or to continue DIY post bacc classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thapanda

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So as the title says, I am considering applying my to some SMPs this cycle. In the past I’ve taking classes at my local community college to keep cost down and doing well in them. I’ve brought my cGPA and sGPA up to a 3.0 from an 2.7. All while working full time as an EMT. Took the MCAT and got a 499. Not the best.

Since then I have went to paramedic school and have been working full time as a medic for about a year. I want to go back and take some more classes to further improve my transcript but I’m on the fence between applying to an SMP for this fall or continue to go do a DIY post bacc, this time at a 4 year university.

SMPs are pretty appleaing because as it’s said around here, they are a back door into medical school. Some have MCAT help and prep and they will get you some very good advising help. All and all they sound super great and right up my alley. Unfortunately many admission requirements for these programs require at least one LOR from a professor. I haven’t taken a class in over a year and I didn’t form a relationship with any of them. They are also pretty expensive.

Because of this I am leaning towards taking classes at a 4 year university this spring and summer and submitting my apps this summer, providing I do decent on the MCAT. Although I’m open for suggestions and advice!

My stats:
cGPA 3.0 last 60 being 3.67 all science at CC
sGPA 3.0
Clinical experience: 7000 hours; (5000 EMT, 2000 paramedic) and 100 as a medical scribe
Shadowing: 24 hours between Cards, ortho, and IM
499 MCAT, studying for retake in April
Teaching: EMT FTO and now medic FTO, EVOC instructor
Volunteering: ~200 hours at my local hospital, ~400 at an animal shelter in undergrad

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~panda

Members don't see this ad.