I'm just curious. Do pre-pharmacy classes overlap with pre-med and dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't understand exactly what you mean by overlapping, but from my what I saw, I would say so definitely, well for pre-med at least. During my undergrad years I had the same pre-med students in bio 1, 2,, chem 1,2, org chem 1,2, physics 1,2, etc. Mostly science classes. As for pre-dental, I'm sure they took the same anatomy courses we did as well. Most pre-meds are Bio majors, which coincide with much of the courses us pre-pharmers took. As for electives, I had a wide variety of students. Hope that helps.

I was just wondering.

Yes, since essentially most schools dont have official pre-med majors, you wont be taking pre-pharmacy classes, think of it this way you will be majoring in biochem or physiology or molecular biology and no one aside from you will know what you plan on doing with that degree afterwards be it apply to medical or to pharmacy school. So in the sense the pre-med classes dont overlap with pharm, they are the exact same classes you will be taking.

As far as if pre-reqs overlap, pharmacy schools across the nation vary in the amount of pre-reqs they require, but for the most part prereqs are extremely similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the above posters mentioned, the pre-reqs across disciplines are typically pretty similar. If you're looking at the paths to different professions, your best bet is to look into a few schools in each line and then figure out what overlap exists.

For example, in Texas, the pharmacy and medicine pre-reqs are pretty similar except that pharmacy didn't require biochem. Veterinary required even more courses than medicine.

Cool, I was just curious. I'm 99.9% sure be pharmacy or graduate school for me.

I meant, what classes do prepharmacy and premed students need to take, are they the same.

Cool, I was just curious. I'm 99.9% sure be pharmacy or graduate school for me.

I meant, what classes do prepharmacy and premed students need to take, are they the same.

Although different pharmacy and med schools have varying pre-req classes, I'd say they're all technically the same (like some mentioned above already). The very few classes that might differ from school to school would be classes like Physics II, Calculus II (even pre-calculus sometimes)...but Calculus I is nearly never missing. Then Statistics, microeconomics vs macroeconomics.

The social sciences (electives), as well as the biology courses, english, communication/speech, are all nearly pretty much the same.

Here is my general advice for undecided pre-health majors, take your pre-req classes as if you were aiming to go into med school. That way, you're pretty much covered in other health care majors...in case you decide to switch around your health care majors in future. You won't have worry about going back to have any of those courses done; well, at least the (core) sciences.

And this is provided they haven't expired within the five to seven year limit you have been given to be in a professional school from the time you completed those courses. However, the expiration is nearly always waived or forgiven if you obtained any type of degree (bachelors & above), during that time period. Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.