I'm just freaking out now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhtheSilliness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey stumbled upon this forum about a week ago and have been obsessively reading it... it's already nearing the end of january and I have yet to receive any acceptances... and am starting to really think i might not get into med school.... i don't have the best stats.. but they're not horrible either.. GPA 3.4 and MCAT 32... I have great recommendation letters and tons of EC's... is anyone else in the same predicament?!...

Members don't see this ad.

OhtheSilliness said:
Hey stumbled upon this forum about a week ago and have been obsessively reading it... it's already nearing the end of january and I have yet to receive any acceptances... and am starting to really think i might not get into med school.... i don't have the best stats.. but they're not horrible either.. GPA 3.4 and MCAT 32... I have great recommendation letters and tons of EC's... is anyone else in the same predicament?!...

Do you have an MD applicants profile? When did you submit everything (i.e. when were you complete)? Where did you apply?

Good luck! It's easy to freak out, but you're not done by a long shot. Have you had any interviews?

MoosePilot said:
Do you have an MD applicants profile? When did you submit everything (i.e. when were you complete)? Where did you apply?

Good luck! It's easy to freak out, but you're not done by a long shot. Have you had any interviews?

I was complete with all schools by the end of Sept...

I had an interview at NYMC... it was my first interview and it didn't go as well as I'd hope... still waiting to hear from them but i wouldn't be shocked if i didn't get in...

I interviewed at OHSU... still waiting on the outcome... i had one okay interview and one good interview... but i keep hearing that they usually admit older.. more mature.. non-traditional applicants...

I just got an interview for UCLA/Drew..

I realized that i should've applied to more middle-tiered and lower-tiered schools... but my premed advisor had OK'd my list... and actually took some of those off...

and now i'm just freaking out...

Members don't see this ad :)
OhtheSilliness said:

I had an interview at NYMC... it was my first interview and it didn't go as well as I'd hope... still waiting to hear from them but i wouldn't be shocked if i didn't get in...

I interviewed at OHSU... still waiting on the outcome... i had one okay interview and one good interview... but i keep hearing that they usually admit older.. more mature.. non-traditional applicants...

I realized that i should've applied to more middle-tiered and lower-tiered schools... but my premed advisor had OK'd my list... and actually took some of those off...

My profile: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4877

Yes, I think you should have had some more mid tier and definitely some lower tier. From what I've heard, California is just a tough state to get into med school and I don't recognize any of the others as more accepting schools.

Good luck, though! I hope things go well for you. In general, I think pre-med advisors suck. Mine is good, but sometimes gives bad advice. After I applied she encouraged me to concentrate on the DO schools I'd applied to, but I'd bet none of her other applicants got an M.D. acceptance before I did (phone call on Oct 15th). I had two before Thanksgiving, which given my GPA is something I'm very happy with. Read SDN. The application is a lot more about strategy (school choice and timing) and dedication to the app process than anything else.

OhtheSilliness said:

OHSU is a great medical school! UCLA/Drew is also a great program (you should be excited about that one!)

I think you will be just fine. Three interviews is really not that bad. Just make sure that you sell yourself (interview) well and you should be set. Good luck!

It's too early to start panicking. SDN starts to make you think that you're supposed to be like the rest of these super-freaks... don't panic yet. You have 3 interviews already at good schools. If anything, it would have helped to apply to a few more middle-tier/non-California schools, but you can't change that now, so just stay calm and focus on acing your interviews. :thumbup:

OhtheSilliness said:

You have a very respectable, competitive MCAT. It's good for 3 years, so I wouldn't retake it.

IF you don't get in this year, just take some more science courses. The more the better. Get that GPA up (though, it's not bad) a bit. Look at other aspects of your app that you can refine a bit (letters, EC's).

Apply super early this June, and I'm sure you'll get in the second time around. Also, apply VERY broadly. Suck it up with the money aspect of this process. It's tough, but I think throwing lots of applications out there is a huge advantage given the current climate.

Good luck for this year. There's still time.

OhtheSilliness said:

Wow thatz what i been doing too. Dont worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. Is that your science gpa or overall?

I can totally relate. Sometimes I avoid coming here because it just makes me paranoid.
I think it's the everybody-else-is-better-than-me-and-I-have-no-chance-of-getting-in-syndrome.
No matter how many times I hear "dont' worry, you will get in somewhere" I can't help but think I won't. I guess we'll just have to do the best we can right now and wait and see. :laugh: :scared: :eek:

lhereIaml said:
Wow thatz what i been doing too. Dont worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. Is that your science gpa or overall?

No.. my science GPA is a little lower... i didn't do so hot my freshmen and sohphomore year... and then starting getting mostly A's in science classes my last two years... i had hope they would see the upward trend and give the average GPA a little more credit...

baylormed said:
I can totally relate. Sometimes I avoid coming here because it just makes me paranoid.
I think it's the everybody-else-is-better-than-me-and-I-have-no-chance-of-getting-in-syndrome.
No matter how many times I hear "dont' worry, you will get in somewhere" I can't help but think I won't. I guess we'll just have to do the best we can right now and wait and see. :laugh: :scared: :eek:

Exactly! Actually though... coming on here has made me feel a little better knowing that there are those out there going through the same thing. All my friends have been getting into schools like UCSF and Hopkins... I have avoided all talk about med school with them.

I've had one interview and been waitlisted. I have one more interview on Feb 2, and I'm definitely freaking out after reading some of these posts, especially because this is my second time applying. A friend of mine last year had like 10 interviews though and they were all second semester. And he was on 8 waitlists and no acceptances at graduation. He got into four of the schools he was waitlisted at over the course of the summer. His story helps me not freak out, so hopefully it will help you too.

Good luck! (Oh, and your MCAT score is great, so I, who have no authority at all, think you will be fine.)

OhtheSilliness said:
Exactly! Actually though... coming on here has made me feel a little better knowing that there are those out there going through the same thing. All my friends have been getting into schools like UCSF and Hopkins... I have avoided all talk about med school with them.

Hi OrtheSilliness. Just want to let you know that you don't have to freak out just yet.. Also, I don't think any of us in here knows much about your chances for med school admission this year. The reason why I say that is because I have stats similar to yours. My MCAT is around the same as yours, my GPA is a bit higher, and I went to an undergrad that is ranked the same as yours if not higher (lost track). When I asked people in here my chances, people basically told me I have no chance at higher tier schools..and some even said I won't get interviews from lower tier state school. I think because I was a business major ... Anyhow, I got 9 interviews, 1 acceptances, 1 waitlist so far.... That's when I decided that while the advice in here about the process in general is good, nobody can really predict chances. They can only either comfort you..or bring you down... I'm sure you'll be fine...:)

BlinkyCat said:
Hi OrtheSilliness. Just want to let you know that you don't have to freak out just yet.. Also, I don't think any of us in here knows much about your chances for med school admission this year. The reason why I say that is because I have stats similar to yours. My MCAT is around the same as yours, my GPA is a bit higher, and I went to an undergrad that is ranked the same as yours if not higher (lost track). When I asked people in here my chances, people basically told me I have no chance at higher tier schools..and some even said I won't get interviews from lower tier state school. I think because I was a business major ... Anyhow, I got 9 interviews, 1 acceptances, 1 waitlist so far.... That's when I decided that while the advice in here about the process in general is good, nobody can really predict chances. They can only either comfort you..or bring you down... I'm sure you'll be fine...:)

oh..and 1 rejection :)

Your profile is similar to mine (in sig) and I have gotten accepted, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

SDN is "skewed right" in terms of applicants - most of the people on this website are superfreaks, so don't worry that you haven't already been accepted to 6 Ivy League schools like some of these folks. You've had interviews at several good schools and will probably receive one or two more in the coming weeks. Hopefully you'll be fine. :)

CQ