IM/NEURO , how do you get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

black star

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take step 1 in June 2012. I am going to a school in the carribean. I wanted to got into med school bcos I wanted to go into IM/Neuro. I need advice from some one what to do I just bought "The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match by Rajani K" so that I can tailor myself to get into IM/Neuro and how to match in IM/Neuro. Does anyone have any advice to help me out? How competitive is it? What should I do in my IM rotation and my Neuro elective rotation? Any advice at this point will help. I am US citizen so I do not have to worry about J1.

Members don't see this ad.

First you probably ought to contact the programs to make sure they are still accepting residents. Of the three listed on FREIDA, none offered spots last year, and only Tulane had a spot in the 2010 match. It doesn't look like WVU has even offered a spot since 2007.

Besides doing as well as you can on Step 1 and honoring your medicine and neuro rotations, you ought to try to rotate at most/all the programs. With that few positions, you need all the advantages you can get.

First you probably ought to contact the programs to make sure they are still accepting residents. Of the three listed on FREIDA, none offered spots last year, and only Tulane had a spot in the 2010 match. It doesn't look like WVU has even offered a spot since 2007.

Besides doing as well as you can on Step 1 and honoring your medicine and neuro rotations, you ought to try to rotate at most/all the programs. With that few positions, you need all the advantages you can get.

I contact all the programs, all the hospitals replied with a big fat NOO!! They are all saying it does not exist anymore and all of then offer advanced neuro or IM. Only 1 hospital replied with a YES. The hospital told me to get a 220 and above and I should not fail any courses. The only advice they gave me outside that is to make sure I know what I am getting myself into with IM/Neuro.

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is I really like IM and Neuro. I do want a little training in both. I want to practice as both an internalist and neurologist. And since I am getting an MD/MBA. I want to join or open a private practice later. I am just worried because I have heard doc who do combined residencies are mediocre in both fields. I am the type of person who hates being mediocre so I have to talk to a few more docs and find out how mediocre are these docs. I would rather be a good IM or Neurologist than receive both and be average. Maybe it won't happen to me.
K31, MD/Phd , it is quite a feat. What do you want to go into?

The problem is I really like IM and Neuro. I do want a little training in both. I want to practice as both an internalist and neurologist. And since I am getting an MD/MBA. I want to join or open a private practice later. I am just worried because I have heard doc who do combined residencies are mediocre in both fields. I am the type of person who hates being mediocre so I have to talk to a few more docs and find out how mediocre are these docs. I would rather be a good IM or Neurologist than receive both and be average. Maybe it won't happen to me.
K31, MD/Phd , it is quite a feat. What do you want to go into?

Not to be rude, but if you hate being mediocre, why did you go to a Carib med school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should do IM and see how you feel at the end about neuro. You can always apply for neuro after IM and it would then be 3 more years, which is no worse than a standard IM fellowship (your IM intern year would count). IM gives you some training in basic neuro and most IM doctors would have good knowledge about the basics of recognizing stroke and post-stroke care and secondary prophylaxis (but not in giving tPA). They also know a good amount about managing status epilepticus, neuropathy workups, limited autoimmune neurology (e.g. GBS, MS), delirium and dementias, etc. Movement disorders, sleep, most autoimmunity, and seizure disorders IM will have little experience with. Doing just IM will make things a lot more practical in terms of matching into a residency and also you'll have the choice to apply for neuro towards the end of your residency. You can also ask your PD to schedule more neuro type rotations, such as rotating on the stroke service, neuro consults, and even neuro clinic.