Is applying Med-Peds /and/ IM a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GotToGetThatGPAUp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm extremely interested in Med-Peds however due to family reasons I am regionally restricted. Unfortunately, there aren't too many Med-Peds programs in the area I'd have to be, but tons of IM (and Peds) programs. Is dual applying frowned upon? Would that affect the chances of interviewing or matching?

Members don't see this ad.

Much more common and acceptable than dual applying to completely different specialties. from conversations I’ve heard exact opinion on it may vary by PD/program. Most seem fine with it though, at least on the Med Peds side. I didn’t dual apply so I don’t know how people tend to handle it when it comes to applying to both programs at the same institution, etc, but I think your circumstances are very reasonable for dual applying.

Reactions: 1 user
It shouldn't matter. Its the reality that program options are limited. I was regionally restricted as well, limiting myself to a 6-7 hour drive from grandparents. I matched fine without needing IM, only ranking 6 programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is normal for Med/peds applicants to add IM or peds programs to the bottom of their list.
I know you say bottom of the list but how would PD know what's on the "bottom" - also what exactly can they see when you're applying to programs? The types of residencies you're applying to? the number? the names? or just what is reflected in your PS?

I know you say bottom of the list but how would PD know what's on the "bottom" - also what exactly can they see when you're applying to programs? The types of residencies you're applying to? the number? the names? or just what is reflected in your PS?
No one knows where you have ranked any program, how many programs you applied to or where you have applied (nor are you obliged to tell them). It would be a match violation if they ask for that information..
If you believe that your choices might be held against you (no reasonable combined program would do this), do not apply to multiple programs at an institution that has them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If the hospitals/programs you're applying to find out you're dual applying, the hospitals will shut down as they descend into chaos, rioting and bloodshed.

...No one cares.
I wouldnt go around announcing it, but its not a big deal, just do your thing.