IM pGY-1 seeking to get a CA-1 spot in 07/06

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

in4mthsMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

How do I get in this july. I really don't feel like waiting out a year, and most of the programs I've contacted have no available spots. What am I to do now? Anyone know what the chances of getting a PGY-2 in july are. Must I apply through ERAS? Scramble?? and by the way I am a US grad with letters of rec from my PD.

Members don't see this ad.

in4mthsMD said:
Hi guys,

How do I get in this july. I really don't feel like waiting out a year, and most of the programs I've contacted have no available spots. What am I to do now? Anyone know what the chances of getting a PGY-2 in july are. Must I apply through ERAS? Scramble?? and by the way I am a US grad with letters of rec from my PD.

You're behind the 8 ball because of the late start in this. Applying through ERAS isn't going to help you this late without any possibility to interview, so save your money there. Scrambling isn't an option for July/06. The scramble is for July/07.

Your best bet is to keep e-mailing programs around the country this spring in hopes of getting a spot that unexpectedly comes open. Otherwise, you should be asking them about possible open spots for July/07.

in4mthsMD said:
Hi guys,

Agree with UT on this one. You should have no sweat getting a CA-1 spot for july 07, but it may (or may not depending on how flexible and persisant you are) be tough to sign for this year. Maybe you can do clinical research for a year or even do another year of IM and be a better anesthesiologist for it. If I were you I would contact big names first and see what they have open for 07 outside of the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
REGISTER FOR THE MATCH BEFORE FEB 22.

UT and GasGuy are on another wavelength, but I think you need to register for the match NOW! If you don't, then you CANNOT scramble for '06 spots and there will be some somewhere. You're a PGY-1? Well, that may mean something, it may not. You may be better off registering NOW, matching into an unfilled program that is 4 years and repeat your PGY-1 year (you're going to have to do something for a year anyway). Sounds like BS, but this field is getting tighter every year. Plus, you may be able to find a CA-1 '06 spot that opens in the scramble (unsure of that).

But, I would register now, scramble for a PGY-1 year, and know I'm "IN" Anesthesia is you're certain you want Anesthesia.

I know a guy at my prelim hospital who is still debating on whether or not to continue on in the world of medicine. He currently has a spot as a CA-1 for july 06...
I'm sure there are other people that change their career paths as well. Keep your feelers out there and maybe you'll get lucky with a spot that will open up.

BubbleHead said:
REGISTER FOR THE MATCH BEFORE FEB 22.

UT and GasGuy are on another wavelength, but I think you need to register for the match NOW! If you don't, then you CANNOT scramble for '06 spots and there will be some somewhere. You're a PGY-1? Well, that may mean something, it may not. You may be better off registering NOW, matching into an unfilled program that is 4 years and repeat your PGY-1 year (you're going to have to do something for a year anyway). Sounds like BS, but this field is getting tighter every year. Plus, you may be able to find a CA-1 '06 spot that opens in the scramble (unsure of that).

But, I would register now, scramble for a PGY-1 year, and know I'm "IN" Anesthesia is you're certain you want Anesthesia.

There is no reason for you to repeat your PGY1 year, unless you just desire torture. If you are unable to find a position for july 2006, which is likely, then I would do a year of research. Meanwhile you could either scramble into an unfilled spot for 2007 or apply for spots outside of the match for 2007.

Unfortunately there isnt much data on which programs have these positions held back fro the match except word of mouth. I sent my CV, scores, transcripts, PS, and LORs to programs I was interested in and wound up finding out that many programs hold positions open for people like yourself. I matched into a competitive spot this way and am much happier than I would have been scrambling.

usnavdoc said:
There is no reason for you to repeat your PGY1 year, unless you just desire torture. If you are unable to find a position for july 2006, which is likely, then I would do a year of research. Meanwhile you could either scramble into an unfilled spot for 2007 or apply for spots outside of the match for 2007.

Unfortunately there isnt much data on which programs have these positions held back fro the match except word of mouth. I sent my CV, scores, transcripts, PS, and LORs to programs I was interested in and wound up finding out that many programs hold positions open for people like yourself. I matched into a competitive spot this way and am much happier than I would have been scrambling.

Thanks guys, but someone reliable once told me that there is no point applying to ERAS for scrambling purposes cos the spots will most likely go to seniors. IS that true? I sure hope that something opens up this spring cos the thought of repeating intern year is nauseating. Almost all the programs, I have contacted have no spots. I know that Columbia had a spot that they said just filled this past week. I am all ears to whatever you might have to add, no matter how trivial it may seem-Trust me, I could use it.

That email that I mentioned in my post about including your CV, Scores, ETC...

Pan email that out to every program that you are remotely interested in. Just see what happens. Worst case is they tell you that they dont have a spot but they see who you are for the next go around.

just personalize the email a bit for each one. Then you will see what you are working with. Hopefully there will be some surprises. Other than that I would plan on the next cycle. You just have to decide if you want to do another internship or research or what have you for the next year while you apply.

I would do research and see about taking call through that year. Or maybe get your liscense and work in the ED as well as research that year.

in4mthsMD said:
Thanks guys, but someone reliable once told me that there is no point applying to ERAS for scrambling purposes cos the spots will most likely go to seniors. IS that true? I sure hope that something opens up this spring cos the thought of repeating intern year is nauseating. Almost all the programs, I have contacted have no spots. I know that Columbia had a spot that they said just filled this past week. I am all ears to whatever you might have to add, no matter how trivial it may seem-Trust me, I could use it.

Send me a personal email and I'll put you in touch with a friend who bumped over to anesthesia in the middle of his PGY-1 year (gen. surg). Got a spot at a great program. He did, however, have to do a year of clinical research which he suprisingly enjoyes very much. Don't loose your head on this one... this is do-able.

Are u in a program right now. Can u continue in the program. I may sound crazy but I would wait until next year and line my ducks up. I found a spot outside of the match last year. The key to doing this is to apply very early. The scramble is a zoo. I would not count on trying to find a position by scrambling.

I c no reason y u should have to repeat an internship. Finding an open position is mostly timimg. This is very late in the cycle 4 05/06.

My concern is that u have some way of earning a living while u sort things out. The more im training that u obtain the stronger anesthesiologist u wll b.
A medicine background is a +. B patient u will find a position. It may not happen when u want it to but things will fall into place. I was there once. Good luck.

CambieMD

in4mthsMD said:
Hi guys,

It may be hard to find spots now- but yo can call programs and ask if they have any unfilled CA-1 spots
As a CA-1 for 2006 you can go outside the match.
If a program has an opening and you are competitive- 220+ boards, good GPA, AMG, good letters
then you may find something
Otherwise get info for nextyear and submit applications on time.
Also- if can't find something for this year then stay at current program, would look the best when applying next year