IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Laddertomed

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How would it impact me to have 2 FM hospitalist letters, 1 psych letter and 1 IM department chair letter for IM residency? (No IM letter, rotated with FM hospitalists.) Would I be eligible to apply to IM programs as well or is there a requirement to have an IM letter?
 
How would it impact me to have 2 FM hospitalist letters, 1 psych letter and 1 IM department chair letter for IM residency? (No IM letter, rotated with FM hospitalists.) Would I be eligible to apply to IM programs as well or is there a requirement to have an IM letter?
Do you not have any IM sub-Is for your fourth year lined up? As good as FM hospitalist are, it will be odd especially if planning on applying university IM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you not have any IM sub-Is for your fourth year lined up? As good as FM hospitalist are, it will be odd especially if planning on applying university IM.
I wasnt sure if IM sub-Is were necessary for IM, I was planning on doing an elective outpatient IM rotation and a maybe a subspecialty before application, is that a good idea?
 
I wasnt sure if IM sub-Is were necessary for IM, I was planning on doing an elective outpatient IM rotation and a maybe a subspecialty before application, is that a good idea?

The majority of IM training in residency is inpatient hospital wards focused, so doing OP IM isn't a good idea. The subspecialty is fine but again, that's minimal in the realm of IM training. You need IM wards exposure with IM faculty or preceptors. It shouldn't be a huge transition since you already did a lot of hospital medicine with the FM preceptors.
 
Totally agree you should try to do a IM sub-i or at least IM subspecialty rotation like ID, cards, ICU. Having no IM letter is a little weird (other than the department letter), but having no IM letter and no IM sub-i (or similar rotations) would be a yellow flag for me.
 
How would it impact me to have 2 FM hospitalist letters, 1 psych letter and 1 IM department chair letter for IM residency? (No IM letter, rotated with FM hospitalists.) Would I be eligible to apply to IM programs as well or is there a requirement to have an IM letter?
I don't see a problem. Worst case scenario you explain that your IM rotation had FM preceptors. I wonder if they'll sign as "hospitalist," in which case don't know how the residencies will even find out