Should I tell my employer I'm applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doe22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I tell my employer I'm applying to medical school after I said I am not? I'm worried they may develop hostility towards me or worse let me go!

For context:
This question may have been asked before, but my situation is a little different. I was supposed to apply to med school in 2021, but two of my family members became seriously ill. Long story short, I wasn't only unable to apply, but also wasn't able to work full time. Found a part-time job as a scribe and spent 2 years scribing. I slowly came to realize I may never be able to apply and should consider an alternative career path. A shorter program that will allow me to work as soon as I graduate so I can support myself and my family (one of my sick family members is not able to work). I decided that I'm going to apply to PA schools instead. A few months ago, I was able to get a full time clinical job. However, during interview employer asked if I'm applying to med school. My CV screamed pre-med!!! I was honest and said I was going to, but now I'm considering PA school instead. They explained they do not prefer premeds as they always tend to leave once accepted. I reassured them I am not a premed anymore and will be working for at least one year before applying to PA programs. Now, two months into this job and I have changed my mind! I tried to convince myself about becoming a PA, I signed up for some pre-reqs at a community college. I felt miserable. I dropped the courses right away. I spent a few days depressed. I felt lost and unlucky. My job has great opportunities for growth, but I still didn't feel I wanted to pursue a higher position within my company. I finally decided that I'm applying next cycle!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you trust them? Do you want their LOR?
I don't think I will need an LOR. 2 Doctors I scribed for offered to write a letter and I already have my science LoRs saved. I will need to ask writers to update the dates. The problem is that it's a clinical job and I'm still working with physicians. I would want to include this in my application. I don't know if I can trust them to be honest. I know of a permed who applied to the same job and got rejected just because they were premed! I don't see the problem if I'm applying next cycle anyways!! Very conflicted :/

Members don't see this ad :)
You can hold off a year until you have to ask for a LOR in May 2024. By then, the employer may be resigned to the idea that you would be leaving in 2025 for PA school or whatever .
I'm afraid if I do this they'd let me go! I can't afford being jobless for a year. At the same time, if I don't tell them, I'm worried they will be contacted to verify my hours!!!

You can't help the past experience of your supervisors. They probably have more than enough experience that they don't want premeds because of the past premeds' lack of reliability or loyalty to complete their employment or give prior notice. It's clear that if you say you decided to be a premed, they'll probably offload you unless you have shown to be reliable and dependable.

That said, scribing is by nature a very temporary position. Unless there is a strong relationship as a supervisor, you don't owe any employer loyalty if they don't want to invest in you or value you (as a premed). Turnover is very common in all of healthcare right now.

Basically put, it's your call.

I'm afraid if I do this they'd let me go! I can't afford being jobless for a year. At the same time, if I don't tell them, I'm worried they will be contacted to verify my hours!!!
At the point where you have a year of experience with the organization (2023-2024) and are hoping to get in to medical school the following year (you apply in May/June 2024 to matriculate in 2025), I do think it would be unlikely that an employer would let you go. They have too much invested in you at that point. I think what employers hate to have happen is that they invest a year in getting you up to speed and you leave after just one year.

Reactions: 1 users