I'm sad...on Alternate List at Boston U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MINI430

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Today I found out via mail that I am on the alternate list at Boston University:( You can say I'm not the most happy person right now. BU is my top choice and want to know what should I do now? I have e-mailed Dr. Shaw and Dr. Frankl a couple times about the school and how BU is my #1 choice, but I did this yesterday Friday 2/20 and the letter from BU is dated on 2/19. So what do you guys think I should do? gpa 3.5 sci 3.1 and 17/17 (academic/pat). My interview went very well and they did not call me to re-take the DAT. Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah cheer up dude, waitlisted doesnt necessarily mean you are out. Go and call them, mail them, or better yet, visit them. Emailing is very impersonal. Goodluck.

Hey Mini, relax...you still have about 4 more months to get off the waiting list. What you should do now is to have frequent contact with the school so they know you are still interested in them. Also ask them relatively what position you are on the waitlist. There are a still lot of people that have yet to make a decision on which school to attend so the 'accepted list' can change a lot during this period. Don't stress over this too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'm shocked that you didnt get in. Your gpa is really good and your dat isn't that bad (regardless of what some may tell you). I bet you are among the top of of the waitlist. good luck

Hey Dentaldream you think so? When I heard from U. Pitt. two days ago about how I'm on the top 10 of the waitlist I was like it has to be my DAT score. I had a feeling inside me that it was the DAT score that could hurt me:( When I heard from BU I wonder where could I be on the list? Do you think their list is seen at the end of the app. cycle or throughout the app. cycle? I feel really lost right now...Marquette (alternate list w/ $750.00), NYU (waitlisted), U. Pitt (Waitlisted), and now BU (Alternate list). Any information would be great guys!

I am by no means an expert in dental admissions, but I've seen some people with lower stats than yours get into dental school. Its not time to panic yet, you still have lots of time to get in.

I am shocked that you were put on the alternate list. You should definitely show interest in the school by personally writing a letter(not email) the frankl and that other person expressing your desire to go to BU. Good luck!

What if you re-take DAT?
It might be a little late now.
But I am sure you will get in somewhere.
just be patient (i know it is hard).
cheer up and enjoy ur last few months of free time =)

MINI430, I really think you would get in one of the above schools you listed.

Just calm down now. Start to organize yourself and list all your experiences and achievements, like community service, volunteer, and the science courses that you did really well. Then, you could
1. find the professor to write a recommendation for you and indicate that he/she knows you are in waiting list. He/she would suggest the school to accept you.
2. Write a resume with all your experience (including things you are do now) and achievements. Then, mail to the schools.
3. Take one or two recommand courses, like histology, anatomy, or biochem if you haven't done any.

It would extremely help you to move over other applicants who just wait and see.

Dear Mini,

I was in your situation last year. I had a really good GPA, but my DAT score (17s) was not good enough. However, unlike you, they told me to re-take the DAT, if I wanted to get accepted. Unfortunately, when I received my second DAT scores (in Canada it takes a while for you to get your scores) it was too late. They told me on April 1st, that beginning of March they had already filled their class. So I was put on their alternate list and wasn't accepted till this year. They simply said we had too many applicants.

However, I would suggest you call either Dr. Shaw or Dr. Frankl and ask them specifically what you can do to increase your chances. I doubt that the class is full, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, they won't tell you your # on the alternate list.

I know how you feel, specially if its a school you really like. Hang in there and be positive! :)

PM me if you have any questions.

Hey grettlin2! That sounds like a great idea. I think I will do that...what do I have to loose:( Anymore info. would be great! Thanks again.

Dude...if there are any two schools in the world to be on waitlists, its NYU and BU.......dont worry dude...in my opinion, you are still golden!

Hey Avingupta! How are you doing? I'm really interested in knowing why I'm still in an ok position. Is there something I need to know about being on the waitlist at both BU and NYU? Any information would be great guys!

Current status with schools interviewed:
U. of Indiana (have not heard)
Marquette (alternate list w/ $750.00)
NYU (waitlisted)
U. Pitt (Waitlisted)
and now...BU (Alternate list)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mini....I said that because BU and NYU are the most expensive schools in the US, so they have the highest turnover rates of acceptences......thus, many people will reject these two schools, and they will be forced to go for people (like yourself) on the waitlist.....

So in conclusion: Bu and NYU have the highest turnover rate, and you are on both their waitlists = guaranteed acceptence

Plus, NYU has a gigantic class, so even better for yoU! jUst dont lose touch with the adcom...make yourself stand out! (but dont be annoying about it)

Originally posted by avingupta

So in conclusion: Bu and NYU have the highest turnover rate,

Do you have any stats to back this up?

Only by extensive research on this forum from the past 2 cycles. It seems that MANY people get acceptences to both NYU and BU, and that MANY people end up rejecting THOSE TWO SCHOOLS in the end!

LIke you said, we have seen many people getting acceptences to both schools with lower stats, but also like you said, Im no expert in dental admissions. ;)

So in conclusion: Bu and NYU have the highest turnover rate, and you are on both their waitlists = guaranteed acceptenceQUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure Avingupta.....just ask Comet or myself!!

No im not saying that EVERYONE gets off their waitlists....Im just saying out of ALL the schools, NYU and BU would be the best ones to be waitlisted on....and plus, Mini has good stats....

Hey Guys...I get what avingupata is saying. I understand that he is saying that I could be high up on the waitlist to be accepted into each respective school. I understand that my DAT is not highly competitve bu feel my GPA would makeup for it given I'm majoring in engineering. Anyway, anymore information would be great guys! Thank u.

Originally posted by hopefulgirl
So in conclusion: Bu and NYU have the highest turnover rate, and you are on both their waitlists = guaranteed acceptenceQUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure Avingupta.....just ask Comet or myself!!

She is more than right. i am the living proof! have been on NYU waitlist for almost 2 cycles now:confused:

I just got BU acceptance today. I think I'll decline it. I wish MINI could take my place.

Hey Guys! I really appreciate all the kindness and help as I will have to wait it out the next couple weeks:( If you guys have been in this position anymore advice would be helpful!

Mini,
there are 2 very important components to the adcom, your GPA and DAT. there is little you can do about your GPA now, although you have a good overral gpa, but your science is not so great. but there is one thing you can improve, the DAT. instead of just wait and see, get ready and study for the exam again. you have months before dental schools start, but i would re-take it within a month or so. what do you have to lose? (but please take it when u're absolutely ready) since you've gone this far, it shouldn't be that bad to walk an extra mile to prove that you're somebody they want. the applicant pool is way more competitive this year. so re-organize yourself and send them your 20+ scores, till then they won't have any reason to keep you on their waitlist.

Yeah dont worry too much right now. I have an acceptance from BU that I've been sitting on waiting to see if my top choice was going to take me. I just found out today that I was accepted to NOVA, so I will be declining my BU acceptance. I'm sure there are a few others in the same boat, so don't fret just yet.

Stay optimistic

You still have time since a lot of people will be declining acceptances. I don't want to seem mean but no one in my class came off the waiting list so it's not necessarily true all the time but I did understand the logic behind it.

Hey Mini I hope you get in to BU, I'm sure you will. I just had a interview with Boston last week and it is #1 on my list also. I just graduated with Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State U and I'm sure that they will take your good gpa in a tough major into consideration.

~Class of 2008 at ?????
Been accepted to University of Detroit Mercy but still undecided.

You have a good GPA compared to me and other accepted 3.0> members. I am just wondering why you had five interviews with no acceptances. Possibly you may not have done as well as you thought during the interview. I do agree that you need to show you continued fight to get accepted by asking school specific LOR and retaking the DAT. Find weakness in you application and try to show the schools that you are currently improving on these things. Take some upper division sci like biochemistry.