I'm so confused on what to do

thatdemidragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.3 gpa and got a 1240 on the new sat on my first try prior to studying (equivalent to an 1860 on the old one) and I plan for that score to go up after studying and taking classes. I have taken anatomy and physiology, forensics, and biology honors. Next year (im currently a junior) I'll be taking biotechnology honors and a science research capstone. I know for a fact that I'd like to be a human doctor but I don't know how to get there whatsoever. I was thinking maybe I could go for a biomedical science major, but again, I'm not sure which major to go for. Can someone please explain the process of choosing the right major for a general studies in the health field as well as the requirements to get into med school? Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a 3.3 gpa and got a 1240 on the new sat on my first try prior to studying (equivalent to an 1860 on the old one) and I plan for that score to go up after studying and taking classes. I have taken anatomy and physiology, forensics, and biology honors. Next year (im currently a junior) I'll be taking biotechnology honors and a science research capstone. I know for a fact that I'd like to be a human doctor but I don't know how to get there whatsoever. I was thinking maybe I could go for a biomedical science major, but again, I'm not sure which major to go for. Can someone please explain the process of choosing the right major for a general studies in the health field as well as the requirements to get into med school? Thank you!!!

First thanks for clarifying what that SAT score meant (back in my days it was out of 2400)

The tag line that's always given on SDN is to major in whatever you want (aka something you enjoy) that will allow you to keep a med school competitive GPA (3.7+). I like to add the addendum that you should also try to major in something somewhat marketable (aka something that will get you into a decently compensating career) in case you choose not to go with medicine.

That being said, the typical majors on the science side tend to be biology (and it's variants), chemistry, or biochemistry. I also seen biomedical engineers, physics majors, and even computer science majors go to med school. Some people also major in the humanities/social sciences including philosophy, english, psychology, and history. There is no specific major required for entrance into med school - all you have to do is complete the appropriate med school pre-reqs (gen chem, ochem, biochem, bio, physics, calc, stats, psychology, etc). Hope that helps a bit and good luck with your college adventures.

Ok, so as a high schooler, the best thing you can do right now is get into college, any college but hopefully one that offers premed classes (most do). Once in, do a major that you are interested in. The major has very little say on your overall journey into medical school. Med school admissions likes to see students doing what they are interested in, whether it is history, engineering, or anything else. If anything, biology major would be the least appealing to ad com as it's the most generic one for premeds.

Worry about how to get into med school once you're in college.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dragon,

Most high schoolers start off a little bit confused in the beginning of the college process. The first step you must take is applying to college! Unless you have an interest in nursing, engineering, business, or another 'specialty' major, you can likely enter college undecided/undeclared, which many people do! Many schools require their students to declare a major by either Sophomore year or Junior year. For example, I will be a freshman in college this fall. My planned major is psychology (with a pre-med track), but if I want to, I can switch my major to any of the available ones that my college offers (unless there are several requirements like in nursing, business and engineering). Take note that if you are attending a large public school, the university often has distinct schools within it, such as a School of Arts & Sciences or a School of Environmental Sciences. If this is the case, you may not be able to change your major to one another school (example: if you attend the SES and want to change your major to Psychology, which is only offered in the SAS, you may not be able to :().

Also, keep this in your mind: medical schools DO NOT CARE what your major is! Let it be computer science, women's studies, biology or Japanese, your major is not really important to them!

Throughout your undergraduate experience, you may modify your major/minor several times before settling on the right one.

Good luck, and be sure to enjoy college! Medical school is a lot of :bookworm:, so you should focus on what you like doing!

As stated previously, the best advice for choosing a major (no matter the health profession you end up choosing) is to select something you love and know you'll excel at. Committees want to see via your course grades that you truly enjoyed what you studied.

If this helps, I know that I'll have less time to focus on the arts in dental school, so my transcript is sprinkled with unrelated courses (science pre-reqs, vocal lessons, electives for my literature major, etc.). 3.9 cGPA/sGPA. Go for whatever calls you. :D

I just felt old... People on this thread are refering to 2400 as the 'old' score :/

First keep up your GPA and then study for the SATs. Then you can worry about med school.