I'm so confused!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 1st year at college ...I'm majoring at Biology...after alot of thinking , I decided to consider Optometry as my career...but i'm just confused about one thing...
what is better , spend 4 years at pre-med school , then another 4 years at med school , then specialize in optometry.
or just after finishing my bach at bio..I can take the OAT and get into optometry school without spending another 4 years -- to save the time.
and what is the difference between the 2 choices........thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey steve,

I think your confused about optometry. There isnt 2 different routes, there is only one. if you want to be an optometrist, then you go to optometry school...not medical school. those who go to 4 year undergrad to MD school and then specialize do not specialize in optometry, they specialize in Ophtomology (totally different). so yes, if optometry is the field for you, it would save time (and make more sense) if you went straight to optometry school. although, your confusion strikes my curiosity on how well you know the optometry profession.

Thank you Envision..it makes alot of sense now... :D :thumbup:

There is NO 4 years pre-med school unless you're doing a combined program, and even those are rare and it would be 3 yrs undergrad and 4 yrs med school.

Your pre-med prerequisites will allow you to apply to medical schools. There are history, english majors who are doing medicine. Pre-reqs will take you 2 years to finish... and they are:

1. One year intro biology + lab
2. one year intro chem + lab
3. one year organic chem + lab
4. one semester of english
5. two semester of math (stats, calc, etc.)
6. one year physics + lab

You can do that on the side plus be another major or double major. However, if you are planning to apply to medical schools, my suggestion is do a BA in Biology, double major in something else.