I'm some sort of case study at my local medical school. Would that affect my application if I apply there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RichardHurtingOW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was told that my brother and I are "famous" among students at my local med school because of our having hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and being treated there our whole lives. I honestly don't know what that means, but I do feel a little embarrassed knowing that people other than my doctor are aware of me not taking care of myself. Though my primary concern is whether or not that would affect my applying there. It is my first choice since I'm trying to stay close to my widowed mother.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I was told that my brother and I are "famous" among students at my local med school because of our having hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and being treated there our whole lives. I honestly don't know what that means, but I do feel a little embarrassed knowing that people other than my doctor are aware of me not taking care of myself. Though my primary concern is whether or not that would affect my applying there. It is my first choice since I'm trying to stay close to my widowed mother.
It is not because of you not taking care of yourself !!! It has nothing to do with that . It is obviously genetic and runs in your family . You have nothing to worry about !!!! They all probably think that you are really cool !

It is not because of you not taking care of yourself !!! It has nothing to do with that . It is obviously genetic and runs in your family . You have nothing to worry about !!!! They all probably think that you are really cool !
Oh, I know it's genetic. I meant I should probably eat better, exercise more. And if they knew my exact height then I'd have to stop lying about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you mention about your condition and being treated there in the app? Unless interviewers treated you or consulted how would they know your name?

Did you mention about your condition and being treated there in the app? Unless interviewers treated you or consulted how would they know your name?
Well, he's saying he is "famous," whatever that means! Do you know the names of any famous people you haven't either treated or consulted with? :cool:

You'll be judged on your application, not your medical Fame. Don't count on everyone on the faculty knowing about your case

You need not disclose your diagnosis nor share your EKG or whatever. The fact that the medical students at the school have seen your imaging studies etc as part of a case study is interesting to students but not likely that the case will resonate with faculty outside of that module in the curriculum. The adcom may include people from anesthesiology, dermatology, ENT, neurology, OB-GYN, psychiatry, allergy, etc. Do you expect them to have heard of your case??

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be judged on your application, not your medical Fame. Don't count on everyone on the faculty knowing about your case
Good! I honestly have no idea what "famous" means in that context-it's just the word someone else used-, or what being studied means, honestly. I just didn't want them to reject me for it-if they could for that reason.