Im sorry but another adversity essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am trying to figure out what to write on my adversity essay and would like to hear other's opinions about the topic I choose.
Like others, I consider my family the most valuable and always appreciate the support and encouragement my family provides me. However, at one point, the relationship between my sister and parents was broken, because after being bullied, my sister refused to go to school, but my parents forced her to go. Thus, I jumped in to help them restore their relationship by talking with them separately, searching for the information about alternative schooling, etc. Now, their relationship is intimate.
Of course, there are more serious parts about this event, but I would focus more on which steps I took to help their relationship, rather than the event itself.
However, I'm not sure if this would be a good adversity topic, since its about their relationship, not specifically mine.
Do you guys think it would be a good topic or better to find other ones?
Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Your sister is not the one applying to med school; her relationship with your parents and your being the mediator doesn't answer the prompt.

That's the part I was concerned, although it was indeed a challenge I faced.
I have other major challenges, such as tutoring or immigrant, but I already used them for diversity and other questions.
The other thing I can think of is losing significant amount of weight (>45 pounds), but do you think it is a fine topic?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the part I was concerned, although it was indeed a challenge I faced.
I have other major challenges, such as tutoring or immigrant, but I already used them for diversity and other questions.
The other thing I can think of is losing significant amount of weight (>45 pounds), but do you think it is a fine topic?
If you lost the weight due to a serious illness, that's adversity, but I don't think that you're getting what the prompt is asking for.

If you lost the weight due to a serious illness, that's adversity, but I don't think that you're getting what the prompt is asking for.

I also think I'm not getting it, as I'm struggling for finding one.
I understand adcom committee wants to see resilience, coping skills or personal growth through this, but I'm just struggling to find one.
If you can give me just few examples, I will appreciate it

Adversity examples: Overcoming a major health challenge, having your home destroyed in a natural disaster, having to work to help support your family, struggling with a learning disability, coping with racism or bullying....

Reactions: 1 users
I also think I'm not getting it, as I'm struggling for finding one.
I understand adcom committee wants to see resilience, coping skills or personal growth through this, but I'm just struggling to find one.
If you can give me just few examples, I will appreciate it
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

Adversity examples: Overcoming a major health challenge, having your home destroyed in a natural disaster, having to work to help support your family, struggling with a learning disability, coping with racism or bullying....
I totally get that those are adversities, but I just don't have those experiences.
I searched few examples online, and saw someone writing about losing his or her dog, which I think was really good one, but not as "challenging" as those mentioned above.
I do not know if this information will change your thought about choosing my family experience as an adversity, but it was not the breakdown of their relationship that was challenging to me. It was that my sister became emotionally unstable (later diagnosed with 5 different mental disorder), and I took care of her, convinced her to seek out medication, took her to doctors etc. on top of my academic responsibilities.
I definitely learned a lot from this experience, and it was definitely challenging for me, but, just like Goro said, it is not my sister who goes to medical school.
Another one I can think of is the challenge I faced as a leader at my local church, but again I'm not sure if it will be viewed as something that every person has to deal with, rather than a challenge.
I really appreciate your response!

@Goro with the additional information about my sister, do you think it is a valid topic or still trying to find another?
Another challenge that I can vividly recall is the first time I had verbal presentation in English in front of my classmates, and I would talk about overcoming fear of speaking foreign language as well as a sense of doubt. I will appreciate any feedback!

@Goro with the additional information about my sister, do you think it is a valid topic or still trying to find another?
Another challenge that I can vividly recall is the first time I had verbal presentation in English in front of my classmates, and I would talk about overcoming fear of speaking foreign language as well as a sense of doubt. I will appreciate any feedback!
How old were you? I personally don't like stories of what happened when you were a child. You're not a child now.

How old were you? I personally don't like stories of what happened when you were a child. You're not a child now.

my sister thing happened during my freshman year in college
For the presentation thing, it happened during my sophomore year in high school