I'm super conflicted... Should I take this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supastudier2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,

I've been conflicted with the decision to take "neural processing of memory" or to not take it. Allow me to explain my situation, I am a sophomore double majoring in neuroscience and human physiology. With that said, I do NEED to take a little bit over an "overload" of classes to graduate on time- Nothing too bad. I work in a lab and currently do not have my own project, My lab PI says I will be rewarded with my own project after a semester or two if I show aptitude, so currently i just shadow and help out the other undergraduate student that's working on his project. I plan to apply to med school the summer after my junior year. I've broken down on my concerns and have analyzed the pros and cons below:

Take neural processing of memory:

reasons to take it:
- My Lab PI teaches the course and I may be able to form a better relationship with him, of course this will lead to a better letter of rec. I don't see him much in lab, and I don't attend the lab meetings because i have class during that time. But maybe that can change next semester.
- This course really seems super interesting
- This class is 50% discussion, so I can work on my communication skills and grow in that aspect.

reasons to not take it:
- The exams in the class are all essay questions, so i can't use Anki and i cant guarantee an A. Historically, I've been really bad at essays
- The class only counts as an elective for my neuroscience major, other classes can double count as both elective for neuroscience AND human physiology, If i were to NOT take this course, i would take cell biology, or immunology, or endocrinology, or fundamental genetics. All of which would count towards both majors, and i would be able to make MORE connections with other professors, also- assuming i use Anki to retain everything that i learn, It would give me a strong foundation for medical school as well as for the MCAT.
- Our grade also depends on discussion, I'm naturally a shy person and I'm not that good with discussion based classes, it makes me a little anxious. I don't want to risk getting a bad grade and tanking my GPA. The class itself it really philosophical and I am a very technical person. I remember in english class in high school we were talking about "The Brothers K". It was a nightmare analyzing the motifs, symbols, hidden intents, theme and how it relates to human nature lmao
- I already have a "connection" with the Lab PI so I can still get a letter or rec (but maybe it wont be as strong.)
- If I were to take the class, we would HAVE to meet because there are no recorded lectures and i also wont be able to play the lecture on double speed.

Right now I'm really right in the middle and I have no idea, Can you give me some input?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that you want to take the course but it's outside your comfort zone and you're a bit risk averse...I'd suggest challenging yourself to take it and learn how to be comfortable with discussion and writing, since those are valuable skills that you won't gain by avoiding it.

Just my take on it, one class isn't gonna kill your GPA, if it gets that bad you can always withdraw. But it's a good time to try developing those softer skills that are essential for med school/being a physician and to not shy away from challenges.

I'll just add that since you're in this professor's lab, there's a good chance he'll be lenient with your grade, since essay questions/discussions are extremely subjective.

It seems that you want to take the course but it's outside your comfort zone and you're a bit risk averse...I'd suggest challenging yourself to take it and learn how to be comfortable with discussion and writing, since those are valuable skills that you won't gain by avoiding it.

Just my take on it, one class isn't gonna kill your GPA, if it gets that bad you can always withdraw. But it's a good time to try developing those softer skills that are essential for med school/being a physician and to not shy away from challenges.

I've have thought much about that too. I am not afraid of stepping outside of my comfort zone. I am going to become a personal trainer and develop my intrapersonal skills that way and I am also joining some clubs next semester. I also feel like these skills can be developed later if needed. what i am concerned about is my stats, GPA, MCAT since those are on paper. my commications skills is internal. Its still super important i guess its just a matter of current priorities. thank you for you input
I'll just add that since you're in this professor's lab, there's a good chance he'll be lenient with your grade, since essay questions/discussions are extremely subjective.

He wont be grading my papers, itll be the TA. thank you for you input :)