I'm thinking of dropping out of med school to pursue something entirely different...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little over a month into my first year, but I think I'm seeing early on that this absolutely isn't for me. I already feel terrible, thinking about how I took another person's seat - and that guilt will never leave me. But I also think I need to do what is right for myself.

Though I am not failing, I am struggling a little bit with the material. It's not because the material is hard or anything, but it's because I just feel uninterested in it that I don't want to study it. Any initial passion I had is gone and the only thing that's keeping me in now is familial pressure and refusal to failure.

If I drop out by the end of this semester, I will be 40k in debt. My plan is to go back to school (probably for 4 years) and get a degree in something unrelated, but something which I have been interested in as early as I can remember. I know my family will freak out, but I think for my own health and sanity, I should call it quits while it's still safe, and while it still won't destroy my (or anyone else's) life completely.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What should I do? Each day is getting increasingly harder to grit my teeth and get through.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm generally more in the stick it out camp for these threads but you sounds pretty sure pretty early and medical education is a LONG road.

If you have an undergrad degree and med school acceptee smarts you can probably get most 4 year degrees in 2 years.

I'd also just be sure you don't end up like disliking your new career choice down the line as well. Most careers (especially well paying ones) aren't as great as you think they will be year 1.

I'd also consider depression. You sound kinda down, which I wouldn't fault you for given this big decision you are making. You need to answer if medical school is causing a lack of interest or the lack of interest from being depressed is causing you to dislike being in medical school. The later one won't go away if you drop out. Just something to consider but it is a common reason people leave medical school. Don't feel guilty for taking a seat btw.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for your empathy! I am nearly a hundred percent sure medical school is the cause of my depression. It just doesn't feel like the proper fit. I worked my ass off to get here (just as everyone else has), but I'm really feeling it's not a match. I might try to stick it out until November/December-ish, since the tuition is already paid. It's just a hard decision, since I will be letting down not only myself, but also my family.

Also, thanks for the advice about 2 years instead of 4 years. However, I do think 4 years might be necessary. The career I want to switch into doesn't have best paying job prospects in the world, but I probably wouldn't hate my life every day like I do now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, think about whether you think medicine could be something you want to do. Because much of what you study in your first month doesn't set many med students on fire. I learned it with the adrenaline of being in med school and pace, but second year topics are much more interesting to me. But even they aren't what medicine is, because it's in a classroom and different types of doctors use the information differently. So before you bail, just see if there is light at the end of the tunnel for you. That still won't make you enjoy what you're doing now, but it may motivate you. Or if it does nothing for you, I would see if you can recoup any tuition by leaving now and if not then finish the semester and then make your decision.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for your empathy! I am nearly a hundred percent sure medical school is the cause of my depression. It just doesn't feel like the proper fit. I worked my ass off to get here (just as everyone else has), but I'm really feeling it's not a match. I might try to stick it out until November/December-ish, since the tuition is already paid. It's just a hard decision, since I will be letting down not only myself, but also my family.

Also, thanks for the advice about 2 years instead of 4 years. However, I do think 4 years might be necessary. Don't laugh, but the career I want to switch into is art/animation. A lot of my prior credits/skills may not transfer over. Not the best paying job prospects in the world, but I probably wouldn't hate my life every day like I do now.

If that 40k is already a sunk cost for this semester then I would stick it out until at least the point that more tuition is due. It seems like you're pretty sure about your decision to leave, but just in case, I would still stick out whatever few months remain in case by some miracle you change your mind. You never know when something will captivate you. Most likely you'll feel the same, but at least then you can look back and say that you gave it your best, passed a semester, and really felt that you needed to do something else.

Unfortunately once you make this decision there is a very slim chance of ever being able to go back and undo it.

Either way I wish you the best!

Reactions: 4 users
I would really hold off on making on any decisions now. You've barely started med school, you admit you're depressed, and you're going to let biochem and histo convince you that this isn't the career for you? Biochem and histo suck! They suck for everyone!

I would work on getting your mind right before doing anything major like quitting. And if you decide that it is impossible to improve your mindset without leaving med school, so be it.

Reactions: 14 users
I'm a little over a month into my first year, but I think I'm seeing early on that this absolutely isn't for me. I already feel terrible, thinking about how I took another person's seat - and that guilt will never leave me. But I also think I need to do what is right for myself.

Though I am not failing, I am struggling a little bit with the material. It's not because the material is hard or anything, but it's because I just feel uninterested in it that I don't want to study it. Any initial passion I had is gone and the only thing that's keeping me in now is familial pressure and refusal to failure.

If I drop out by the end of this semester, I will be 40k in debt. My plan is to go back to school (probably for 4 years) and get a degree in something unrelated, but something which I have been interested in as early as I can remember. I know my family will freak out, but I think for my own health and sanity, I should call it quits while it's still safe, and while it still won't destroy my (or anyone else's) life completely.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What should I do? Each day is getting increasingly harder to grit my teeth and get through.
There is so much to do within medicine, I'm one that believes there is a great specialty for everyone. With that said, first year sucks. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
For this semester I would stick through it and try to enjoy the process as well as maintain a positive outlook. If by then you still feel as strongly about med school as you do right now, go do something else.

I know we tend to have a negative perspective on the road to becoming a physician, especially if you frequent SDN, but there really are a lot of reasons to fall in love with the process.

Also, thanks for the advice about 2 years instead of 4 years. However, I do think 4 years might be necessary. Don't laugh, but the career I want to switch into is art/animation. A lot of my prior credits/skills may not transfer over. Not the best paying job prospects in the world, but I probably wouldn't hate my life every day like I do now.
I'm not saying you should drop out or stay in. That's up to you. You know yourself better than anyone. I just wanted to inform you that a lot of schools do offer partial refunds on the semester if you're not halfway through, so you might not want to stick it out until November/December.

Questions about this new subject you want to study:

1). How much experience do you have with it?

2). How practical is it? Do most people who pursue this subject find a career in it?

3) Why do you think you will be good at it?

4). Why do you think you will enjoy it more than medicine?

Reactions: 6 users
Quit if you want.

This is a long road my dude.

For some it may not be worth the $250K+ loan burden.

You're smart to want to dip early than later though.

My school runs a one-subject-at-a-time approach. Gross anatomy 10-12 weeks, biochem and histology 10-12 weeks, etc. If all of medical school were as miserable as the majority of M1 is, I wouldn't do it. Medical school, in my opinion, starts out very slow with thick material that just isn't fun to study. It wasn't until March of M1 that I finally felt like I was in medical school and not in graduate school. I would recommend trying to stick with it through these slow months and evaluate your options later. Most of M1 definitely sucked for me, school-wise.

For some of us, it's not really the material that sucks... but our fellow classmates and colleagues.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Also, thanks for the advice about 2 years instead of 4 years. However, I do think 4 years might be necessary. The career I want to switch into doesn't have best paying job prospects in the world, but I probably wouldn't hate my life every day like I do now.

I would really hold off on making on any decisions now. You've barely started med school, you admit you're depressed, and you're going to let biochem and histo convince you that this isn't the career for you? Biochem and histo suck! They suck for everyone!

I would work on getting your mind right before doing anything major like quitting. And if you decide that it is impossible to improve your mindset without leaving med school, so be it.

Med school is one thing, but I'm more concerned about your depression. Not sure if you've gotten to your psychiatry module, but some classic things are manifest: lack of motivation, lack of interest in things that used to interest you, feelings of guilt. Clinically, depression also comes along with impaired insight and judgment. If you are as depressed as you say you are, it is quite likely that your ability to evaluate, respond to, and deal with the things you don't like about medical school are impaired because of your mental health. It is also likely that your ability to evaluate the pros/cons of med school are being unduly swayed by the poor result of not being able to handle these challenges well. I don't know you, so I can't say for sure about your situation in particular, but I do know that I typically expect some level of judgment/insight impairment in a depressed patient. Once you get through your depression, you might find that many of the issues that are hindering you from thriving in med school and loving your career aren't issues at all. When the clouds clear, they may suddenly seem more surmountable.

With depression in the background, dropping out of med school may worsen more than help things. After dropping out, you will temporarily lose the organizing structure of having somewhere to go everyday, and short-term assignments and tasks. You'll lose the structure of being around classmates and other people who more or less have their lives together. You'll wander through a brief period of funemployment while struggling with how to manage 40k of debt with no immediate payoff plan. Does this sound like a good recipe for improving your depression?

Your options for doing something with post-school funemployment are likely much broader with an MD in hand.

Get help. Straighten out your mind first. Don't make irreversible decisions before you're sure that your mental health is in the right place. Your mind and spirit need a tune up before you can be your best self advocate and self guide.

I myself was rather depressed the first three years of medical school. After finding a great therapist (the ones at school are used to dealing with people like me), and taking more time for self care during my fourth year, I've suddenly discovered how much I LOVE medicine and how excited I am for my career just as I am on the cusp of residency. Things excite me again, and hope has returned to my vocabulary. I'm proud that I stuck through it. What I accomplished in those first three years are even more meaningful because I overcame something. I share this story only to offer hope as I, along with many others, have experienced something like what you describe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Totally agree with everyone else re. depression.

I'd see if you can take an LOA before dropping out completely. Also look into non-clinical jobs after med school. I don't know how certain your other career path is, but if you have to do more schooling to get there, I can see it not being the panacea you hoped for. (And potentially difficult to get into.)

Reactions: 2 users

I'm sorry you feel this way! I can't really relate or contribute to this conversation as I'm still applying to medical school.

But I am curious to know, what kinds of things were you studying in medical school that disinterested you? Case studies, boring lectures, quantitative analysis stuff?

Last edited:

I'm not going to be all feel good like every one else. I felt the same way OP. Then again second semester. Now even in third semester. Everyone said second year is more interesting, which it is much more interesting, but it is quickly offset by the significantly increased amount of material. I'm not even doing poorly, I'm actually doing extremely well, but it comes at a great cost of completely hating medical school. I'm stuck because of debt. If I jumped ship earlier, it would have maybe been possible to go back to school and do something else and pay off the debt, but that is 100% impossible now. The only thing keeping me afloat is getting into rotations third year, which are also going to suck even more, but just suck differently.

I always was propelled along by me thinking "its going to get better right?!". It really doesn't. It just gets different, with mounting debt and increased stress. Maybe stick out the semester and see if your mindset changes, but if you feel the same way or worse and can see yourself doing something else, do it.

Get to your school's counseling center, STAT!

You need to stop feeling guilty, first and foremost. You didn't take someone else's seat, you worked your ass off for yours and you're free to do with it as you wish. Even if your seat had gone to someone else, there's no way of knowing what he/she would have done with it so don't even let your mind go there.

What is your curriculum like? Ours is integrated, but I think I would lose my mind if I had x number of weeks of straight anatomy, and I say that as someone who loves medical school so far.

How is your support system? Have you made friends? Do they know you feel this way? To be honest, the hardest part of medical school for me so far is adjusting to the culture shock of how annoying/selfish my classmates can be. Find a few people who aren't freaking weird or stressful to be around and cling to them.

Are you actually doing well with the material? I don't say that to be condescending, but a lot of my classmates have expressed frustration over material and will frequently make statements like, "it's not that it's hard...." or "it's not that I don't understand it...." but that's exactly what it is.

My advice: figure out what it is that's actually bothering you. Pinpoint it. Is it the people, the material, the pressure, or the career path? If you decide this is just not the career for you, that's okay, but you better be damn sure that's the case before you make an irreversible decision over a rocky semester or a few annoying classmates.

A lot of people said some great things. But OP wrote a key statement and that was: "the only thing that's keeping me in now is familial pressure and refusal to [sic] failure". If you're in med school because your family wanted you to be, that's not fair to you nor them because you will be dragging their time and energy with you, and they won't "get it" when you stress out more and more because they forced you to go in the first place. Your family may become frustrated for and at you for doing poorly as if you're "not trying" because you lost interest or never had as much interest as you thought in the first place.

On the other hand, if by "familial pressure" you mean you wanted to go but now you don't, however, your family is saying "too late, we all jumped in this together", it's still not fair for you because no matter how much you describe med school to people, they don't understand what it's really liked unless they've gone through it. I'm saying not even family members or significant others know what it's like unless they personally went to med school, too.

As for depression, I would echo seeking a counselor right away. But if each and every day you are gritting your teeth to get through, then perhaps that field you have always wanted to go into that you mentioned may be your true path, not the med school path other forces wanted you in.

And I'm going to say this in all seriousness, but if I had the chance to go back with the knowledge I had now, I would have gone to dental or PA school or spent a few years off significantly building my resume to get into the top med school possible as that sentiment "it doesn't matter where you go for med school, but more so residency" I happen to take with a grain of salt. Med school is many times not worth the future career with all the changes occurring now as you'll end up altering the type of medicine/practice you run when healthcare looks radically different in 20 years. The physicians who seem to have the momentum to keep going and are less stressed out than others are the ones who, ironically, practice less direct, clinical patient care and substitute the other time with another business or education or research, etc. Medicine is no longer that bygone era of the doctor on the ranch, the surgeon who can do anything, the doctor who comes out of med school with only a few thousand dollars or less in debt, etc. It will only get worse in terms of cost-benefit. That's my honest belief.

First of all - I want to thank all of you for being so nice and commenting on this. I didn't expect so many replies. But I see a lot of you can empathize and I appreciate that so much.

I'm sorry you feel this way! I can't really relate or contribute to this conversation as I'm still applying to medical school.

But I am curious to know, what kinds of things that you were studying in medical school that disinterested you? Case studies, boring lectures, quantitative analysis stuff?

I don't want to discourage you. A lot of people seem to be really into it. But for me, I think I was probably in it for the wrong reasons from the start. During undergrad, I really didn't like science/etc. either but I stuck with it and did well, hoping there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. But now, in medical school, I find the science/topics just as dry and boring. Moreover, the pressure to study it intensely and do well is just immense. The material isn't impossibly hard. I mean, organic chemistry is hard. Physics is hard. But this? There's just a lot of stuff and tiny little details you have to remember, and if you don't have motivation driving you, it becomes tough to do it.

I always was propelled along by me thinking "its going to get better right?!". It really doesn't. It just gets different, with mounting debt and increased stress. Maybe stick out the semester and see if your mindset changes, but if you feel the same way or worse and can see yourself doing something else, do it.

Dude. I think I know exactly what you mean. I'm so sorry you're stuck because of debt...That sounds terrible. What are YOU going to do? How do you keep going? Seems like you feel a lot like I do.

You need to stop feeling guilty, first and foremost. You didn't take someone else's seat, you worked your ass off for yours and you're free to do with it as you wish. Even if your seat had gone to someone else, there's no way of knowing what he/she would have done with it so don't even let your mind go there.

What is your curriculum like? Ours is integrated, but I think I would lose my mind if I had x number of weeks of straight anatomy, and I say that as someone who loves medical school so far.

How is your support system? Have you made friends? Do they know you feel this way? To be honest, the hardest part of medical school for me so far is adjusting to the culture shock of how annoying/selfish my classmates can be. Find a few people who aren't freaking weird or stressful to be around and cling to them.

Are you actually doing well with the material? I don't say that to be condescending, but a lot of my classmates have expressed frustration over material and will frequently make statements like, "it's not that it's hard...." or "it's not that I don't understand it...." but that's exactly what it is.

My advice: figure out what it is that's actually bothering you. Pinpoint it. Is it the people, the material, the pressure, or the career path? If you decide this is just not the career for you, that's okay, but you better be damn sure that's the case before you make an irreversible decision over a rocky semester or a few annoying classmates.

Thanks very much. I will try to stop the guilty feelings. My curriculum is integrated as well, but the anatomy spans throughout the year. We need to go into lab thrice a week and dissect once a week. Every week. I do have some friends, but I have not shared these feelings with them. Mostly everyone is a little stressful to hang around but I don't blame them. They have driven personalities. I am actually doing well in the materials. We had 2 exams thus far and I did above the class average on both. The material really isn't hard (lol the brachial plexus is a little funky, but I've got that down too). BUT, the material DOES take time commitment to learn. It just feels harder and harder to commit the time to learn it all. Furthermore, I'm not liking the doctor lifestyle either. It was easier to see myself in a physician's shoes before, but the more and more I get into it, the more I'm dreading it. I can accept the stress if there is hope at the end of all the struggle, but the struggle seems pointless now.

A lot of people said some great things. But OP wrote a key statement and that was: "the only thing that's keeping me in now is familial pressure and refusal to [sic] failure". If you're in med school because your family wanted you to be, that's not fair to you nor them because you will be dragging their time and energy with you, and they won't "get it" when you stress out more and more because they forced you to go in the first place. Your family may become frustrated for and at you for doing poorly as if you're "not trying" because you lost interest or never had as much interest as you thought in the first place.

On the other hand, if by "familial pressure" you mean you wanted to go but now you don't, however, your family is saying "too late, we all jumped in this together", it's still not fair for you because no matter how much you describe med school to people, they don't understand what it's really liked unless they've gone through it. I'm saying not even family members or significant others know what it's like unless they personally went to med school, too.

As for depression, I would echo seeking a counselor right away. But if each and every day you are gritting your teeth to get through, then perhaps that field you have always wanted to go into that you mentioned may be your true path, not the med school path other forces wanted you in.

And I'm going to say this in all seriousness, but if I had the chance to go back with the knowledge I had now, I would have gone to dental or PA school or spent a few years off significantly building my resume to get into the top med school possible as that sentiment "it doesn't matter where you go for med school, but more so residency" I happen to take with a grain of salt. Med school is many times not worth the future career with all the changes occurring now as you'll end up altering the type of medicine/practice you run when healthcare looks radically different in 20 years. The physicians who seem to have the momentum to keep going and are less stressed out than others are the ones who, ironically, practice less direct, clinical patient care and substitute the other time with another business or education or research, etc. Medicine is no longer that bygone era of the doctor on the ranch, the surgeon who can do anything, the doctor who comes out of med school with only a few thousand dollars or less in debt, etc. It will only get worse in terms of cost-benefit. That's my honest belief.

Thanks, I'm glad you noticed that part. My family didn't contribute a dime to all this, but they do have expectations of me. I guess I just always had what some people described as "Attaboy Syndrome." I always did stellar work in school and I got praise for it. So, I did even more good work. I got more praise and it felt good. This pretty much continued onto college and my family and others and even myself just expected myself to go into medicine because it was the "best" thing to do. I deluded myself and others helped. I started having serious doubts in college, but the reinforcements from my friends and family (who had absolutely no idea what medical school was all about), kept me in the game. And of course, I did have significant clinical exposure and I did work in a hospital prior to entering medical school, shadowing doctors etc. I was 50/50 then, thinking this might not be for me. But at that point, I had a useless undergraduate degree and no conceivable path to move except forward. I never really used college to explore my options since my mind was set on one thing from the start - thanks to that "Attaboy Syndrome" and delusions from group hysteria.

...Sorry for the huge paragraph. But that's the honest truth. I blame myself. I should've been smarter and more open minded.

Get to your school's counseling center, STAT!

Thanks Goro. May I ask why you suggest this? I respect and appreciate all your advice, (you helped me out A LOT in the past) but I am not sure that a counselor can make me like it here any more.

Last edited:
You need to stop feeling guilty, first and foremost. You didn't take someone else's seat, you worked your ass off for yours and you're free to do with it as you wish.
I completely agree with this. You earned your seat, and you can do what you want with it. That being said, you want to make a very calculated decision. Just because it's a very rare opportunity doesn't mean you have to take it-- if your mind and heart are truly elsewhere, then you might consider that path.

I think reaching out for some help would be a great idea, too. If you're proactive, you might be able to get some good advice. You might even feel better just from talking with someone, and you may be able to discern whether you're just worried/anxious or whether you truly don't like it.

See how it goes for a little longer while trying to sort some of this out. If you decide to drop out, just make sure you have a well defined plan (same if you take a leave of absence).

Good luck!

I already feel terrible, thinking about how I took another person's seat - and that guilt will never leave me. But I also think I need to do what is right for myself.
Please do not worry about that. Medicine is in the process of making itself suffer from the same problem that law does. I've been disappointed overall with being a doctor and many others in my residency were too.

You're at the edge man... I don't want you to jump but who the hell am I to tell you no!

Sometimes you gotta see if those wings of yours will carry you down! Go for it.

Dowhatchawannadoooooo!

You might not be as successful at the other career that you are interested in as you will be if you stay in medicine. Interest doesn't equal success. Figure out a way to fully explore your potential in your other career before you completely give up your spot in medical school. Best of luck.

Definitely take time to make this decision since once you make it, it'll be pretty hard to go back. When making a tough decision, I always try to ask myself, "which mistake would you rather make?" (not that either choice is a mistake, but this always help me put things into perspective). Makes a pros and cons list of your options. Talk to a therapist/counselor about how you've been feeling-they'd be able to help you sort out depression versus disinterest. Make sure you're taking enough time for self wellness and to enjoy the things you used to. I've seen far too many classmates just dive into the books and start this neck and neck "who can study the most" race. I find it absurd and don't feel it's sustainable, so I continue to prioritize other things in my life. Even though I've kind of found "a balance", multiple times I've asked myself if I really thought through what I signed up for. Why did I do this to myself? Is this what my life is going to be like? Who are these ultra-competitive type A personalities? I often leave school feeling pretty defeated. I'm suddenly studying more than I ever have in my life to be average at best.

But you have to keep the big picture in mind. I went into this because I love interacting with patients and doing the "detective work" of medicine. So once I find myself in a SP lab or in a preceptorship, I remember exactly why I'm doing this and I leave that experience feeling great. If you determine this career (rather than the path to get there) will truly make you miserable, then taking the loss is completely worth your long term sanity and happiness. Do remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side, just different. I was an environmental engineering major prior to deciding to pursue medicine later in life. The classes were fascinating, I loved the math, and I really felt like I could make a difference. And then I realized most environmental engineers spend their lives designing landfills, wastewater treatment plants and culverts. Not as sexy as fluid mechanics advertised. So definitely really think of the end product of each career and determine where you'd rather be in 10 years. Best of luck!

For some of us, it's not really the material that sucks... but our fellow classmates and colleagues.
Totes. The only hard part about med school so far has been tiptoeing around the fragile egos and insufferable type A personalities I'm surrounded by.

Reactions: 8 users
A vast majority of us don't enjoy reading about the various types of collagen in the ECM or that chemokines bind to CCR7 to recruit T lymphocytes to the pericortical region of the lymph node, but hey, we gotta learn it. I'm of the opinion that once you get through these pre clinical years, your passion will come back alive. Have you had any patient interaction experiences? Have those not been as exciting as you thought they might be? (if so, that would probably confirm this isn't what you want to do) Try seeing patients and see if that gets your "mojo" back. Ultimately, we all have to push through learning the material, but it WILL be worth it once we get to apply it. Just my thoughts. Obviously, at the end of the day, it's your decision.Good luck!

You cannot possibly have enough experience in 1 month to determine whether or not medicine is for you. As others have said, the first two years aren't representative of this profession. At all. Many people hate the basic science but end up really enjoying clinical medicine, or vice versa. That being said... RUN. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. You're in purgatory and about to head straight down to the 9th circle of hell. It only gets worse. If family pressure is the only thing motivating you, you will be unbelievably miserable. It will be like torture straight out of the CIA Interrogation Manual: "If waterboarding fails, enroll the terrorist in 8 years of medical training. If that fails, give him a $260,000 loan at 7.9% interest. Should that fail, place him in a broken health care system and work him until he is estranged from family and friends, an empty shell of his former terrorist self. For maximum intelligence gathering, make sure to hang a carrot out there and tell him 'It will all be worth it in the future. It gets better, I promise. Just keep working.'"

Nah I'm just messing with you! Totally kidding. But seriously...

Reactions: 5 users
I don't want to discourage you. A lot of people seem to be really into it. But for me, I think I was probably in it for the wrong reasons from the start. During undergrad, I really didn't like science/etc. either but I stuck with it and did well, hoping there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. But now, in medical school, I find the science/topics just as dry and boring. Moreover, the pressure to study it intensely and do well is just immense. The material isn't impossibly hard. I mean, organic chemistry is hard. Physics is hard. But this? There's just a lot of stuff and tiny little details you have to remember, and if you don't have motivation driving you, it becomes tough to do it.
I didn't like science classes very much in undergrad and I went into med school thinking that I would not like med school, but that I would like being a doctor. Thankfully I like the med school part itself, but I am much more excited about being a doctor.

For everyone complaining about their classmates: do you think it's that different in other careers?

A vast majority of us don't enjoy reading about the various types of collagen in the ECM or that chemokines bind to CCR7 to recruit T lymphocytes to the pericortical region of the lymph node, but hey, we gotta learn it. I'm of the opinion that once you get through these pre clinical years, your passion will come back alive. Have you had any patient interaction experiences? Have those not been as exciting as you thought they might be? (if so, that would probably confirm this isn't what you want to do) Try seeing patients and see if that gets your "mojo" back. Ultimately, we all have to push through learning the material, but it WILL be worth it once we get to apply it. Just my thoughts. Obviously, at the end of the day, it's your decision.Good luck!

I kinda enjoyed that part. It was scissoring fascia and having a cadaver who died of GI hemorrhage with a poorly embalmed bowel that I absolutely detested. Each his own. There is that ENT resident/attending? who frequents around here posting how he/she feels gross anatomy does a disservice to later surgical experiences in 3rd year and I wholly agree with him/her. I really wish there could be some new shift in the paradigm of teaching gross anatomy that isn't ingrained in 19th century approaches to medical education.

I kinda enjoyed that part. It was scissoring fascia and having a cadaver who died of GI hemorrhage with a poorly embalmed bowel that I absolutely detested. Each his own. There is that ENT resident/attending? who frequents around here posting how he/she feels gross anatomy does a disservice to later surgical experiences in 3rd year and I wholly agree with him/her. I really wish there could be some new shift in the paradigm of teaching gross anatomy that isn't ingrained in 19th century approaches to medical education.

Gross anatomy is really annoying...I am grateful to the donor, but let's just say all cadavers aren't created equal and spending several days a week mutilating bodies and removing fat contributes little to education.

I'm not going to be all feel good like every one else. I felt the same way OP. Then again second semester. Now even in third semester. Everyone said second year is more interesting, which it is much more interesting, but it is quickly offset by the significantly increased amount of material. I'm not even doing poorly, I'm actually doing extremely well, but it comes at a great cost of completely hating medical school. I'm stuck because of debt. If I jumped ship earlier, it would have maybe been possible to go back to school and do something else and pay off the debt, but that is 100% impossible now. The only thing keeping me afloat is getting into rotations third year, which are also going to suck even more, but just suck differently.

There is so much suck in third year... So tired of watching residents type notes, check emails, chitchat about department drama, etc for hours on end.

Gross anatomy is really annoying...I am grateful to the donor, but let's just say all cadavers aren't created equal and spending several days a week mutilating bodies and removing fat contributes little to education.

Pro-tip: don't go.

Didn't go to 90% of cadaver labs 0 regrets and A in the course.

No mandatory attendance for anatomy lab! Your school is GREAT!

Until you get to surgery clerkship and everyone thinks you are really stupid because you can't identify anything.

First off, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. I can only speak from what I've witnessed first hand.

About 12yrs ago an older brother of mine was accepted to dental school, he wasn't flunking out, but during his 1st year he felt that he had made a mistake. He decided to stick it out till the 2nd year, hoping for clarity. After the second year and 80k later he left. He grew to hate the idea of becoming what he thought at that time was a dentist. One day he just showed up at our home, bags packed. He didn't say anything about dropping out due to pressure from my parents.

He's been making 2 to 3 times the loan payment every month, and he just finished paying off the 80k plus knocked off some interest. Living frugally I might add and sending in ALL of his tax return AND quarterly bonuses for the past decade. Back then he didn't know what else to do with his experience and BS in bio so he became a dental hygienist. He now answers to a dentist. Although he won't admit it, he desperately wishes he would've stuck it out. At least after the DMD and license to practice he could've done something else and the 80k in debt wouldn't have been for absolutely nothing.

Different circumstances from yours OP, but somewhat along the lines. I'm applying next cycle so I can't add much input to your dilemma, other then the story I just provided. God speed my friend.

First off, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. I can only speak from what I've witnessed first hand.

About 12yrs ago an older brother of mine was accepted to dental school, he wasn't flunking out, but during his 1st year he felt that he had made a mistake. He decided to stick it out till the 2nd year, hoping for clarity. After the second year and 80k later he left. He grew to hate the idea of becoming what he thought at that time was a dentist. One day he just showed up at our home, bags packed. He didn't say anything about dropping out due to pressure from my parents.

He's been making 2 to 3 times the loan payment every month, and he just finished paying off the 80k plus knocked off some interest. Living frugally I might add and sending in ALL of his tax return AND quarterly bonuses for the past decade. Back then he didn't know what else to do with his experience and BS in bio so he became a dental hygienist. He now answers to a dentist. Although he won't admit it, he desperately wishes he would've stuck it out. At least after the DMD and license to practice he could've done something else and the 80k in debt wouldn't have been for absolutely nothing.

Different circumstances from yours OP, but somewhat along the lines. I'm applying next cycle so I can't add much input to your dilemma, other then the story I just provided. God speed my friend.

Thank you for the insight and thank you so much for sharing your story. This is my worst fear. I think, despite how terrible it is right now, and how terrible it is going to get, I'm going to stick with it. For people like your brother and myself, with useless bio degrees and tens of thousands in debt, the way to go is forward. It's miserable, yes. But it's not the end of the world. I'd say 90% of people hate their jobs. It didn't have to be this way, but it is what it is and hopefully with frugal living, (mooching off my parents for eternity), and a physician's salary, one day I'll be able to pursue my other dreams.

Good luck on your application! And lol, you seem to know what you're getting into, so - go kick ass.

Med school is one thing, but I'm more concerned about your depression. Not sure if you've gotten to your psychiatry module, but some classic things are manifest: lack of motivation, lack of interest in things that used to interest you, feelings of guilt. Clinically, depression also comes along with impaired insight and judgment. If you are as depressed as you say you are, it is quite likely that your ability to evaluate, respond to, and deal with the things you don't like about medical school are impaired because of your mental health. It is also likely that your ability to evaluate the pros/cons of med school are being unduly swayed by the poor result of not being able to handle these challenges well. I don't know you, so I can't say for sure about your situation in particular, but I do know that I typically expect some level of judgment/insight impairment in a depressed patient. Once you get through your depression, you might find that many of the issues that are hindering you from thriving in med school and loving your career aren't issues at all. When the clouds clear, they may suddenly seem more surmountable.

With depression in the background, dropping out of med school may worsen more than help things. After dropping out, you will temporarily lose the organizing structure of having somewhere to go everyday, and short-term assignments and tasks. You'll lose the structure of being around classmates and other people who more or less have their lives together. You'll wander through a brief period of funemployment while struggling with how to manage 40k of debt with no immediate payoff plan. Does this sound like a good recipe for improving your depression?

Your options for doing something with post-school funemployment are likely much broader with an MD in hand.

Get help. Straighten out your mind first. Don't make irreversible decisions before you're sure that your mental health is in the right place. Your mind and spirit need a tune up before you can be your best self advocate and self guide.
you shouldnt be doling out medical advice about depression on this thing... esp since you are a student.. DOUCHE

I myself was rather depressed the first three years of medical school. After finding a great therapist (the ones at school are used to dealing with people like me), and taking more time for self care during my fourth year, I've suddenly discovered how much I LOVE medicine and how excited I am for my career just as I am on the cusp of residency. Things excite me again, and hope has returned to my vocabulary. I'm proud that I stuck through it. What I accomplished in those first three years are even more meaningful because I overcame something. I share this story only to offer hope as I, along with many others, have experienced something like what you describe.

Until you get to surgery clerkship and everyone thinks you are really stupid because you can't identify anything.

Still had to identify it on a cadaver in the practicals just didn't want to waste days off my life filleting fat off a corpse. But we can go ahead and pretend like we didn't forget the vast majority of anatomy by the time surgery rolled around.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for the insight and thank you so much for sharing your story. This is my worst fear. I think, despite how terrible it is right now, and how terrible it is going to get, I'm going to stick with it. For people like your brother and myself, with useless bio degrees and tens of thousands in debt, the way to go is forward. It's miserable, yes. But it's not the end of the world. I'd say 90% of people hate their jobs. It didn't have to be this way, but it is what it is and hopefully with frugal living, (mooching off my parents for eternity), and a physician's salary, one day I'll be able to pursue my other dreams.

Good luck on your application! And lol, you seem to know what you're getting into, so - go kick ass.

It might not be that high, but you are correct that most people don't like their jobs anyway... No one can tell to stick it out. However, with a medical license, you probably will be 'qualified' for >50% of jobs in America because people associate a US medical degree (or license) with a lot of good attributes, whether it's fair or not.

There are so many avenues to take after graduating medical school. Try to find something in medicine you enjoy and just go after that. Before you say nothing does, I can 100% guarantee that you have not explored all your options post graduation. Dropping out is a financial and psychological mistake that most people regret for the rest of their life.

Still had to identify it on a cadaver in the practicals just didn't want to waste days off my life filleting fat off a corpse. But we can go ahead and pretend like we didn't forget the vast majority of anatomy by the time surgery rolled around.

So you just used anatomy atlases to study for the lab practical, and that was sufficient to get an A? Id rather not waste time going into the lab to identify structures if I can just as well learn it from a book from the comfort of my own home...

I love how an apocalyptic America encourages Gambler's Fallacy. Got undergraduate debt? Useless bachelor's degree? All or nothing on medical school.

Reactions: 3 users

That's cool. There was and is mandatory gross anatomy dissection attendance at our school. I would have likely performed better in anatomy and enjoyed it more if I wasn't forced to be there MWF/TTh four hours or more at a time slicing through fascia and fat.

So you just used anatomy atlases to study for the lab practical, and that was sufficient to get an A? Id rather not waste time going into the lab to identify structures if I can just as well learn it from a book from the comfort of my own home...

Yeah atlases, and online cadaveric pics like on http://www.thebodyonline.net/

My school was nice enough to give us a giant list of required structures we should know so that made it easier.

After reading your story, I just want to say that I'm in the exact same situation. Except I have a degree in engineering, I'm not in the US. But I got into a medical school program aswell, I've been in for around a month now and I'm considering flunking out. I feel that engineering is maybe a better carreer to pursue in my case since I suck at studying things by hard and I'm feeling miserable. I made the decision to come ot this school in a hurry, I feel like I made a mistake but I do not want to let my parents down :(