I'm withdrawing my acceptance to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Id take the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BU is definitely not bad enough ( which BU is not bad at all) to not take the $160,000

aka: take the money and never look back.

Will be withdrawing from MWU-IL..absolutely lovvvved the school and sad to say no but too expensive to pick over state school

Members don't see this ad :)
Deciding between BU (160K scholarship) and Columbia...
can someone choose for me?

If it was me, $160k is too much money to turn down.

If Columbia doesnt give you any scholarships, you're possibly looking at a huge COA difference between living in Boston vs NYC.

I'm pretty sure 95% of the dental students on this forum would kill to be 160K dollars less in debt, regardless of the school. I'd take the scholarship. Thank us later when your loan repayments are next to nothing after graduating.

Last edited:

You could bring up your scholarship to columbia and ask if they could do anything for you since they are your #1 choice. Doesn't hurt to ask. Praise to more professionally of course.

Congrats on the BU scholarship :). That's awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree its not just the name of the school though, its the lifestyle

honors pass fail versus grades

people are open about specializing about columbia and not overly competitive (I want to do oral surgery)

I feel like I fit in more at columbia

buttt the moneyyy haha

You want to do OMFS? @Bereno can tell you about your prospects for OMFS with UConn.

Completely agree its not just the name of the school though, its the lifestyle

honors pass fail versus grades

people are open about specializing about columbia and not overly competitive (I want to do oral surgery)

I feel like I fit in more at columbia

buttt the moneyyy haha

Whats the total cost of columbia and bu including living?

Members don't see this ad :)
400 at columbia and 240 at BU but I have 160K in inheritance to put towards dental school

Is that 160K inheritance in investments? What rate is it growing at? Might be better to just let it grow...but then again, 80K for a dental education is a bargain.

I know I am changing this thread though so if anyone has thoughts feel free to PM me so that this thread stays on topic
I got the same scholarship (40,000 per year) and declined it. I'm curious when they gave it to you haha. I had a similar dilemma to you (although I'm poor with no inheritance), and I concluded (maybe naively) that I rather attend a "big name" school where I felt really happy and comfortable. And, if you want to do international work a name helps a lot, that's not to say that being a top student at BU will hinder you from realizing your objectives. I know it's a hard choice, I completely commiserate :)

400 at columbia and 240 at BU but I have 160K in inheritance to put towards dental school

Just make sure you check out the monthly payment numbers and the interest accrued for both schools before making a decesion. You even have some money in the bank so I'd definitely go to an advisor so he can do the numbers. That 160k could be left to grow for retirement. You could even put a nice downpayment towards a practice.

I know a 272k school would be about 3,467 a month for a 10 year payment plan.

Im gonna take the 20K and put it on black and if I lose that Im gonna take 40K and put it on black and if I lose that I am gonna take 80K and put it on black, and so forth, wish me luck
This is the way to go

Louisville has been and CWRU will be withdrawn

Withdrawing (interview) from: University of Michigan
Declining wait list spots from: USC and University of Colorado
Decided on/deciding between: Baylor and (if accepted) Houston

-I'm obviously a Texas resident :happy: haha
Good luck, guys!

Late post
Withdrew acceptances: NYU, UPitt, MWU-AZ, Nova
Withdrew interviews: UPenn, Roseman, MWU-IL, WesternU, UMich, OHSU
Waiting acceptance: UTSD-Houston, UTHSC-SA, Baylor (Will probably withdraw since I'm on HPSP)

Good luck everyone!

edit: I forgot to add UMinn to acceptances, and that's where I decided to go.

Last edited:
Late post
Withdrew acceptances: NYU, UPitt, MWU-AZ, Nova
Withdrew interviews: UPenn, Roseman, MWU-IL, WesternU, UMich

Good luck everyone!

Which school did you decide to pick! That's very fortune for all your acceptances and interviews! :D

Withdrawing from UTHSCSA to attend Baylor. Best of luck to everyone!

Withdrew from NYU, UDM, dropped waitlist spots at UMich, Nova and Louisville. Declining Marquette and BU interviews. Headed to Maryland! GL

Withdrew from NYU, UDM, dropped waitlist spots at UMich, Nova and Louisville. Declining Marquette and BU interviews. Headed to Maryland! GL

I wonder how stringent they are on holding on to that NYU deposit.

Declined acceptance to NYU and Loma Linda - I will be attending the University of Washington as part of their RIDE program (my dream program)!

Declined interviews at: Midwestern - Glendale, Western, UPenn

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

I wonder how stringent they are on holding on to that NYU deposit.

I actually meant that I declined acceptance to NYU, not withdrawal lol. Stupid verbs

Declined acceptance offer from Roseman

Withdrawing my acceptance from NYU soon

Withdrew from ECU today :/, and previously withdrew from MWU-IL. Good luck guys!

Withdrew Acceptances: Michigan, Louisville, Kentucky, UDM

Withdrew Interview: CWRU

Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone withdrawing from MWU-AZ recently?

still deciding between Temple and UTHSCSA.

I am a Texas resident but tuition is not a factor.

Help :shrug:

still deciding between Temple and UTHSCSA.

I am a Texas resident but tuition is not a factor.

Help :shrug:

If $ isn't a factor, go where you think you will be happiest and get the best education. Can't you call SA and ask what their specialization rate is? Even though the school I will attend costs about $50k more, I'm going with my gut feeling and selecting the school that I was most impressed with.

If $ isn't a factor, go where you think you will be happiest and get the best education. Can't you call SA and ask what their specialization rate is? Even though the school I will attend costs about $50k more, I'm going with my gut feeling and selecting the school that I was most impressed with.
its about 100k more for 4 years. i just want to know which is a better and more comfortable school to go to. I don't want to be miserable where I'm at :\

Anyone will be withdrawning from U of Mich or UNE by any chance at this point?