I'm worried....need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I spoke with a director of a post-bac pre-med program after my mom and I had a conversation on me leaving the country for med school. Since me and my mother have a close relationship, she did not agree to me leaving the country for medical school and encourages me to apply to US medical schools.

Here's my situation. I did terribly bad at CCP during my early years of schooling. I have alot of W's and 3 F's. I did try to turn things around by getting B's and A's in the latter part of my education at CCP. I was only able to pull it up to about 2.58 before I transferred to a 4yrs university. Now I'm getting nothing but A's and B's (3.50 GPA) and I have 6 W's at the 4yr University. I graduate next May and plan to work my butt off to keep my GPA above a 3.50 GPA.

What I'm worried about is my CGPA which would bring my GPA down to about 2.5 or a little higher. The director told me to call him next winter near the ending of my undergraduate work. However, I'm worried that now I won't even make it into a post-bac program with my academic record being so horrible.

My next option is to do a graduate degree in Medical Biology and hope to show them that I can improve my GPA in sciences. Yet, the school is very expensive and at the end, I'll owe $40,000 on top of the $50,000 I owe from undergraduate work. I would still need to do a post-bac program which would add on to my debt totally anywhere from $100,00 on up before I even make it into medical school.

What is your advice for some in my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gujuDoc
Just curious, but does it say below that you are already accepted to medical school????????

Yes you read right. I have been accepted into a medical program in Pune, India. My pre-medical requirements meets India's pre-med requirement not US pre-med requirements.

If I want to apply to US medical schools, I have to meet US medical school requirements which means I would have to do a post-bac program because I did not take 4 semesters of chemistry, 2 semester of physic. My biology requirement have been fulfilled for India but I would have to go back and do another semester of biology to fulfill the US requirement.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

if you want to practice in the USA, i suggest you apply here, then go to the carribbean if you must. you can't hustle the system, it will only catch up with you in the end. best of luck!

Just take your core science classes at a state college! Nobody cares if you went to a formal post-bac program. People sitting beside me in class aren't formally enrolled in Loyola's program, and yet I'm waving goodbye to them as they will be entering medical school this fall.

If you do well in the class, and ask the prof for a LOR, you will be just fine. That, and do well on the MCAT. Spend money on Kaplan prep course if you must, and don't lose sleep over not being able to get into a formal post-bac.

BTW, I think Loyola allows you in after you have "proven" yourself as a nonformal post-bac, so ask the post-bac admissions committees if you're dead set on doing it the formal way.

Best of luck,
m