I’m worried that nepotism will hurt my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entireparsley

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there,

I’m a pre-dental student interested in OMFS. My brother is pgy2 at an omfs residency and my dad is the chief of trauma at a a level 1 trauma center on the west coast.

As a result, most of my experiences are the result of direct nepotism. All of my research is through my dad and brother, and all of my shadowing outside of dental offices is through my dad’s hosptial. I also volunteer on my own.
I should mention that I am a D3 athlete.
I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but I feel like this might hurt my application because I rely too heavily on those connections.

Members don't see this ad.

This type of thing happens a lot, i.e. family is in the field and provides opportunities to the student applying. They look at these experiences as a positive, you’re fine.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ but if you are worried that you have been relying to heavily on family connections, I'd seek out some experiences on your own. Go shadow some other offices. Make sure you rack up some hours in a general dentistry rather then just OMFS, which I'm sure you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be fine. As long as your stats are decent and relatives don’t write your rec letters.

Dentistry is all about behind the scenes nepotism. It will help you a lot. If they share the same last names, don't have them write the letters for you or mention family relations. However, I'd probably be asking them to put in a good word for you within academic circles (if they are well liked). If they are hated within the political circles of academia, I'd keep the relations more of a secret. This all depends on your circumstances.

As much as others may hate it, use those connections to your advantage!

Status
Not open for further replies.