"Imagine," the Lost EM Verses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is some obscure EM related history a lot of people may not be aware of and might find interesting. Legend has it that prior to joining the Beatles, John Lennon might possibly have done a brief stint in an Emergency Department in Liverpool. Who knew? I had no idea, either. Rumor has it, that this influenced him greatly, and that some lost verses to his masterpiece, "Imagine," may have been found. Neither Yoko, nor the Lennon family have ever confirmed or denied the legitimacy of such lost verses. Listening to the lyrics, it's amazing. How could this man have foreseen all that was to come? There's only one answer: Pure Lennon genius. We are only left to imagine if these verses are real, and if so, what might have been..... (read more)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lennon a genius? I don't know - I don't think so. I do know that, for me, if I like a Beatles song, it was not written by Lennon. Not one (which is interesting, because his post-Beatles stuff was not bad. Not bad at all). And, the more I find out about Lennon, the more I think he was a humongous *******. He just sounded like a petty, self-centered dick. Throw philandering husband and ****ty father on top of that.

I now await the flames, but, I shall stand by my analysis, and wait to see if hipsters give me their piece like they have been writing in the grunge thread. (In other words, I say, "WHAT-ever!") (Not saying I've said something there, because I have not.)

As to your lyrics, now, THOSE have flashes of genius (or kinda smart guy).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tempted to give a bunch of counter-examples to Apollyon (Revolution, The Ballad of John & Yoko, A Day In the Life) but the fact of the matter is that I think most Beatles fans go through the following stages of development:
-When you're in your emotional adolescence and value defiance for defiance's sake John is your favorite Beatle.
-When you reach young adulthood, and your tastes are becoming refined (you start preferring red wine to wine coolers) George becomes your favorite Beatle. And if you're really laying it on thick, you might even cheekily say that All Things Must Pass is your favorite Beatles album.
-Once you've reached maturity, become comfortable in your own skin and are no longer trying to impress anyone, you admit that Paul is, after all, your favorite Beatle.

For the record, side 2 of Abbey Road is the greatest side of wax in rock n roll history.

I always forget about "The Ballad of John and Yoko" - even though it was the Beatles, I always, always think it was after. It might as well have been, anyhow, and throw some massive ego on there.

As for "A Day In The Life", well, I'd read about it before, but wiki says it was mostly equally written by John and Paul. However, this stands out: "John said: "Paul's contribution was the beautiful little lick in the song 'I'd love to turn you on.' I had the bulk of the song and the words, but he contributed this little lick floating around in his head that he couldn't use for anything." "In other words, I dug and poured the foundation, built the house, did the wiring, plumbing, and plaster, did the roof and shingles, and he had this beautiful little weathervane he put on the corner of the roof, which wasn't being used for anything else at all."

Am I exaggerating again? The more I read about Lennon, the less I think so. That sentiment pervades, it seems, anything John ever said about Paul - "My stuff is good, and his is unmitigated crap".

But, as I said, and to re-clarify, this is about my preference - not anything factual. De gustibus non est disputandem - there is no accounting for taste.

...flashes of genius...

No genius on my part, I was just lucky to stumble upon this amazing lost piece of EM related history. Sort of like Indiana Jones discovering the Lost Ark (or something like that). By the way, why no facebook shares or retweets on DrWhitecoat.com? Where's the love?

Where's the.......L O V E ?

No genius on my part, I was just lucky to stumble upon this amazing lost piece of EM related history. Sort of like Indiana Jones discovering the Lost Ark (or something like that). By the way, why no facebook shares or retweets on DrWhitecoat.com? Where's the love?

Where's the.......L O V E ?

I'm not on FaceBook, and I don't tweet.

I mean, I don't care what I am doing - why would I be so egotistical to think someone else might? And if I don't care what I'm doing, I certainly don't give a rat's ass as to what you are doing (the general "you", not you BS).