IMG/FMG in neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooporik

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ms3 interested in neurology here
I've noticed neurology is friendly to imgs,fmg like some nyc programs only have fmgs residents
I know they mostly have stellar step score and you-know-how-many publications
Is it because no us grad took the spot?
my step score is below average (220) and I wonder if I will get swaped by fmgs with 270+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
US grads are virtually always considered preferable for residency programs and neurology is not an exception. Programs that have mostly IMG/FMG residents are mostly those that don't have the option to take US grads. Neurology is competitive at the top flight residency programs but there are plenty of bottom tier programs that just fill with whatever they can get.

As Thama said, match rate is really high for US grads. Neurology is getting more competitive--this year there was a 14.3% increase in US MD applicants and 18.5% increase in IMG applicants. I.e. given the increase in US MD applicants, there are fewer spots available for IMGs. And, there are more IMG applicants.

On the interview trail this year, I did see a number of IMGs, but I kept seeing the same ones, which makes me think the IMG stock is limited to real rockstars.

stats from this year

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As Thama said, match rate is really high for US grads. Neurology is getting more competitive--this year there was a 14.3% increase in US MD applicants and 18.5% increase in IMG applicants. I.e. given the increase in US MD applicants, there are fewer spots available for IMGs. And, there are more IMG applicants.

On the interview trail this year, I did see a number of IMGs, but I kept seeing the same ones, which makes me think the IMG stock is limited to real rockstars.

stats from this year

936 neuro positions now? Damn it keeps increasing. My main issue with this is that most of these new programs are at community hospitals with little access to good didactics, research and ability to work with students.

936 neuro positions now? Damn it keeps increasing. My main issue with this is that most of these new programs are at community hospitals with little access to good didactics, research and ability to work with students.
Another thing we (all neurologists and those interested) is to not advocate for excessive residency spots. Lest we become pathologist or EM.

Yes, theres a need for neurologists, but exponential growth in addition to the endless supply of midlevels could potentially alter our job market 10 years from now

Another thing we (all neurologists and those interested) is to not advocate for excessive residency spots. Lest we become pathologist or EM.

Yes, theres a need for neurologists, but exponential growth in addition to the endless supply of midlevels could potentially alter our job market 10 years from now
Precisely.

No one anticipated how quickly EM got saturated. Same with RadOnc. Field went form being one of the most competitive to the least competitive in matter of few years.

In 2010, total neurology spots were 585. 60% increase in such a short period of time is not healthy.

ms3 interested in neurology here
I've noticed neurology is friendly to imgs,fmg like some nyc programs only have fmgs residents
I know they mostly have stellar step score and you-know-how-many publications
Is it because no us grad took the spot?
my step score is below average (220) and I wonder if I will get swaped by fmgs with 270+
Step scores are important, but keep in mind that since Step 1 has become pass/fail and CS was cancelled, programs are already starting thinking about other criteria to replace step scores. For US graduates, I would suspect the name of your school, your academic performance in that school, your LORs, you research, and perhaps most importantly showing genuine interest in neurology can be used. If you are interested in neurology, I would still consider applying despite the average scores. Next year interviews may still be virtual and thus cost of interviewing will be much less and it will be more feasible to interview more (no need for travel) and you can apply to more programs (perhaps in 2 different specialties).

Reactions: 1 user