IMG/FMG thread for cardiology fellowship 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takotsubo81

stentstent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all... This thread is for all those IMG/FMG trying to get interviews during this season....
My cred... IMG/H1- expecting green card soon/PGY3/GOOD COMMUNITY PROG WITH INHOUSE CARD FELLOWSHIP/GOOD SCORES/1 RESEARCH article in AJC, and 6 other publications including editorial, hypothesis research article and rest case reports/ one poster in ACC. Applied to 80 programs and so far only rejections:((((
I understand its very competetive to get into cardiology fellowship. Wondering if there are others in my shoe struggling to get interviews and we could share views for FMG/IMG's.
Today 3 more rejections! total around 10 rejections... 0 interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

average score/average commu PG/multiple publications JACC,posters in AHA,ACC
residency back home ,great LOR but research only.on H1,applied to 60,around 10 rej,no IV. I just want to get one IV so I can see some light at the end of the tunnel,otherwise hospitalist and no more waste of vtime and money.
GL

Thats true... atleast one interview will give us some hope.... but still, practically 1 or 2 interviews will not get us through match process :(
You have good publications... in JACC and may be god willing you might get those 1-2 interviews:) I'm in 3rd year and wondering should I do chief year and waste one more year or go for hospitalist!!
frustrating!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG, with good USMLE scores, residency from a very good community attached to top most university, Working as a hospitalist currently, will be doing heart failure fellowship from top most university this year, research at top most university with abstract at JACC, Circulation, NEJM, presented papers and abstract at ACC/ AHA. have GC

4 IV so far
multiple rejections

IMG, Currently PGY-3 in community program, USMLE Scores 98/99/99, J1 visa, Good LORs, 1 systematic review and couple case reports. applied late in 1st wk of January as was planning to go for CV research earlier but didn't work out :(
Multiple rejections, no Interview so far :(

IMG PGY2, H1,90s (no 99s),good univ affiliated residency program-4 articles(research and review)-7 abstracts in SCAI/AHA/ACC/HRS,good LORs-1 IV(in-house),1 wait list,11 rej.....

IMG/PGY2 at top 20 univ IM prog/H1/99/99/91/ Publication in JACC/ multiple smaller pubs submitted/excellent LOR's/ > 15 abstracts in ACC/AHA/I****/ACP

9 IVS (2 at home institution)/ >25 rejections

There is hope out there guys. Hang in there and trust urself. Hopefully everybody will match

- IMG, J1 visa , Currently a PGY2 in an Excellent University affiliated community program, finished internship at very good Uni. program(not Top tier though) .
- double IM board certified (from home country and from England with MRCP-UK).
- previous clinical Card. fellow before coming to US (with good volume of procedures ..left/right heart caths /Echos/stress tests..etc).
- research: One small pilot study (not finished yet), 4 Manuscripts under review and 1 in press , 2 posters at ACP and 1 at ACC meeting.
- Excellent letters (2 from well known cardiologist-one of them is ACC State Gov.) ,,scores (99/99/95).

5 IV so far ,One waiting list, 15 rejections(4 of them came this Friday :eek:)
Still to hear from 70+ programs !

Good Luck to every one ,,,,there is light at the end of the tunnel.

- International medical graduate/J1 visa
- PGY-2; 2-year residency experience from the top program in home country
- 89/99/Step 3 taken (scores pending)
- University-based program (state university)
- 13 papers; 8 abstracts
- Multiple active/ongoing research projects/publications
- Excellent letters of recommendation
- Three awards won (two in the current IM program; one at a national meeting) in the past year

- 2 interviews thus far; it is hard for us; do not know what else to do...

IMG, with good USMLE scores, residency from a very good community attached to top most university, Working as a hospitalist currently, will be doing heart failure fellowship from top most university this year, research at top most university with abstract at JACC, Circulation, NEJM, presented papers and abstract at ACC/ AHA. have GC

4 IV so far
multiple rejections
Hey.... impressive profile.. wondering if you can guide in finding research positions. How to go for it? I interviewed at one place for heart failure fellowship 1 week ago..... don't know if they will select me!!
Do you know other places for heart failure fellowships? And research positions?
GL with you interviews.

IMG
USMLE 99/99/98
2 abstracts and one recently accepted to ACC for oral presentation
Working on Manuscrpit ( minor revision ) will be published in high impact jorunal :D
Graduated from Average Community program with inhouse fellowship, 2yrs back
Worked as hospitalist for 2 yrs
Visa taken care of now
For last 6mon doing bench research and partime hospitalist.
5 IVs
Worst part is that the place where I am doing research rejected me,its sickening.

Hi guys,
I have a very competitive application with funded research in both basic and clinical science, residency from top tier university, excellent LORs from big names and 99/99/86 scores. Unfortunately, I am still on H1B visa :(
I am stuck in a unique position. Clinical programs wont call me as my CV and PS is very research oriented and research programs want a non-visa person to be eligible for T-32 grant :(:(
I have been lucky to get good interviews but when I receive emails from PDs that although they like my application but cant call me due to H1b visa, I feel let down.
Just wanted to vent my frustration, thats all..
good luck everybody in your endeavor..

Hi guys,
I have a very competitive application with funded research in both basic and clinical science, residency from top tier university, excellent LORs from big names and 99/99/86 scores. Unfortunately, I am still on H1B visa :(
I am stuck in a unique position. Clinical programs wont call me as my CV and PS is very research oriented and research programs want a non-visa person to be eligible for T-32 grant :(:(
I have been lucky to get good interviews but when I receive emails from PDs that although they like my application but cant call me due to H1b visa, I feel let down.

you know you can always convert an H1B visa into a J1 at any time...let all the PD know that. How many iv total you had? where did you do the bulk of your research (ie home country?? or pre-residency here?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys, I need some advise from all you guys, currently I am on PGY-3 On J1 clinical visa (ECFMG sponsored) and I have opportunity to do Cardiology research at Big University institution here in NY, however ECFMG can not sponsor J1 clinical visa for research/Post Doc fellowships, converting J1 clinical to J1 research is lot of pain i guess including petition to Dept of State for visa category change and I didn't get much info on that. Any experience, suggestions, advice from all u fellas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I am in same boat. US Citizen. Chief resident/Attending at University Program (not well know). Had 12 paper published so far. Abstracts in JACC/ACC/Chest/Heart Failure journals. Many case reports. USMLE score 95/92/89. many review articles published as well as. excellent LOR but not from well know person.

No interview so far.

25 rejections.........including very bad rejection from Bringham's yesterday.

only good thing is i have in-house cardiology fellowship after 2 years. Only thing is i have to wait for 2 more years.

Is it worth it ?

Hi guys,

I am in same boat. US Citizen. Chief resident/Attending at University Program (not well know). Had 12 paper published so far. Abstracts in JACC/ACC/Chest/Heart Failure journals. Many case reports. USMLE score 95/92/89. many review articles published as well as. excellent LOR but not from well know person.

No interview so far.

only good thing is i have in-house cardiology fellowship after 2 years. Only thing is i have to wait for 2 more years.

Is it worth it ?

If you have the possibility of staying for fellowship at your current institution in 2 years, I don't see why you wouldn't take it in the case you don't match this year (hopefully you will). I'm surprised you havent' gotten any invitations thus far, perhaps you applied to top programs only. When you say abstracts published in thouse journals above, you mean full original articles ?

Hi guys,

Don't worry, you will get over it.

Hi Guys, I need some advise from all you guys, currently I am on PGY-3 On J1 clinical visa (ECFMG sponsored) and I have opportunity to do Cardiology research at Big University institution here in NY, however ECFMG can not sponsor J1 clinical visa for research/Post Doc fellowships, converting J1 clinical to J1 research is lot of pain i guess including petition to Dept of State for visa category change and I didn't get much info on that. Any experience, suggestions, advice from all u fellas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, you're best chance of getting into cards, is working in very close proximity with a cardiology research group, with in-house fellowship. However, going to top-notch places can be tricky if you don't have the "pedigree" for that program. In other words, if you come from a community program, and go to do research to one of the top medical centers of the US, you may get some invitations for interview from other places, but I think it would be very hard to match in that program (as most americans will be also wanting to match there), . On the other hand, doing research in a less competitive enviroment, may increase your chances of matching in that particular program. I think what they say out there is truth, your best chance of matching in cards, is in your same program, or where you're working at.
Now, the visa issue makes things more complex, but if I were you, I would try to switch to J1 research visa if that's an option.

Hi guys,

No interview so far.

Is it worth it ?

It is something that you need to think hard....you are doing a chief year and still two more years of wait :0 I don't know if its worth it.... after all this wait, 3 years and 1-2 years of eps/interventional... GOD.... and than its not like you will get 500K an year! And the life style of a cardiologist??? Think hard.... and may be we all should be clear of what we are heading towards..... if somethings come with toooooo much of struggle... I don't know if it will really make one happy!!

Hello everyone,

I am applying for IM this year and in the process of making ROL. I have a question that I feel will help me in deciding the ROL. Since I am interested in cardiology, is it better to rank H1 Uni prog or J1 uni prog higher? I have 3 H1 sponsoring University programs, 6 J1 Uni progs and 2 H1 well-reputed community progs with in house fellowships.

I understand that it is easier to get Cardio on J1. But then you have to hit the bull's eye on J1. With H1 it is difficult but not impossible. Being on H1, I feel is safer. Also, I heard that one can convert H1 to J1 while applying and let programs know before hand abt it. This is all I know of.

If someone from you could throw light on this, it would be great! I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I am applying for IM this year and in the process of making ROL. I have a question that I feel will help me in deciding the ROL. Since I am interested in cardiology, is it better to rank H1 Uni prog or J1 uni prog higher? I have 3 H1 sponsoring University programs, 6 J1 Uni progs and 2 H1 well-reputed community progs with in house fellowships.

I understand that it is easier to get Cardio on J1. But then you have to hit the bull's eye on J1. With H1 it is difficult but not impossible. Being on H1, I feel is safer. Also, I heard that one can convert H1 to J1 while applying and let programs know before hand abt it. This is all I know of.

If someone from you could throw light on this, it would be great! I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

If cardiology is so important in your life, than go for J1. It makes a difference to be on J1 for cardiology, your options will increase. No one will buy your argument of transfering from H1 to J1 before applying in cards.
But more important to get into fellowships is doing residency from a well known program.. dont select based on the visa they are offering... thats my suggestion!

If cardiology is so important in your life, than go for J1. It makes a difference to be on J1 for cardiology, your options will increase. No one will buy your argument of transfering from H1 to J1 before applying in cards.
But more important to get into fellowships is doing residency from a well known program.. dont select based on the visa they are offering... thats my suggestion!

thank you takotsubo for replying.

this is what i have got on my plate, I would greatly appreciate your input or suggestions:

1. University of Alabama at Birmingham (H1)
2. St Louis University, St Louis
3. Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1)
4. Uni of Oklahoma, Oklahoma city
5. Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
6. Uni of Kansas SOM, Kansas City
7. SUNY-buffalo (H1)
8. St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
9. Henry Ford, Detroit
10. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
11. Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
12. UMDNJ/cooper-camden

Thank you once again

thank you takotsubo for replying.

this is what i have got on my plate, I would greatly appreciate your input or suggestions:

2. St Louis University, St Louis
3. Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1)
4. Uni of Oklahoma, Oklahoma city
5. Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
6. Uni of Kansas SOM, Kansas City
7. SUNY-buffalo (H1)
8. St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
9. Henry Ford, Detroit
10. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
11. Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
12. UMDNJ/cooper-camden

Thank you once again

I would rank UAB first.

If your an IMG UAB will send you a letter in the mail if there are going to rank you to match
I interviewed there.
Did you get the letter ,if not then they will not rank you to match
Kaliman, UAB is definitely no. 1 and chances for an IMG to match there are very slim..Problem is with the rest middle-lower tier programs..

If your an IMG UAB will send you a letter in the mail if there are going to rank you to match
I interviewed there.
Did you get the letter ,if not then they will not rank you to match

can you guys comment on the rest of my rank list, leaving behind UAB (which sent me a letter but likelihood to match is less)

thanks

can you guys comment on the rest of my rank list, leaving behind UAB (which sent me a letter but likelihood to match is less)

thanks
if u really wants cards
I rank them

University of Alabama at Birmingham (H1)
Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1)
Uni of Oklahoma, Oklahoma city
Uni of Kansas SOM, Kansas City
Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
st Louis University, St Louis
SUNY-buffalo (H1)
St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
Henry Ford, Detroit
Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
UMDNJ/cooper-camden

if u really wants cards
I rank them

University of Alabama at Birmingham (H1)
Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1)
Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
st Louis University, St Louis
SUNY-buffalo (H1)
St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
Henry Ford, Detroit
Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
UMDNJ/cooper-camden

Thank you. I don't understand the following:

1. Uni of Arkansas at No. 2: last 2 years it has taken only 1 in house and no outside placements for cards
2. MCG: takes only 2 in house, and no outside placements
3. Uni of Kansas: last year 0 in house and no outside placements. their new PD doesnt want candidates from their own residency prog
4. SLU, SLR, Henry Ford and SUNY buffalo: they are known to take their own and outside placements are also good.

Thank you. I don't understand the following:

1. Uni of Arkansas at No. 2: last 2 years it has taken only 1 in house and no outside placements for cards
2. MCG: takes only 2 in house, and no outside placements
3. Uni of Kansas: last year 0 in house and no outside placements. their new PD doesnt want candidates from their own residency prog
4. SLU, SLR, Henry Ford and SUNY buffalo: they are known to take their own and outside placements are also good.

Let me tell u my friend
putting the candidate personal credentials aside,
its all about the reputation of the IM program when applying to cards to get an IV and match
U of arkansa has good rep ,same for MCG and UKa u will get outside IV if u go there and they have good card prog
as for SLU,their card progr is falling apart(no chair,went unmatched for 2 out of 4 positions last yr then took the insiders.rep of its IM sucks.
same for SLR and herny ford,and buffalo
those places may take some internal but remember ,if u go there u wont get any IV except from inhouse and they usually take 1-2 out of 10-15 of their resident.

Let me tell u my friend
putting the candidate personal credentials aside,
its all about the reputation of the IM program when applying to cards to get an IV and match
U of arkansa has good rep ,same for MCG and UKa u will get outside IV if u go there and they have good card prog
as for SLU,their card progr is falling apart(no chair,went unmatched for 2 out of 4 positions last yr then took the insiders.rep of its IM sucks.
same for SLR and herny ford,and buffalo
those places may take some internal but remember ,if u go there u wont get any IV except from inhouse and they usually take 1-2 out of 10-15 of their resident.

then why the cardiology placements for Uni of arkansas, KU and MCG are poor? KU=0 MCG=0 UAMS-1 as compared to SLU residents going inhouse, einstein, tufts n uni of nebraska or say SLR people going inhouse, einstein, arkansas, henry ford etc..

i totally understand that reputation wise:

Uni of Arkansas>Uni of Kansas>MCG>Henry Ford>SLR>Buffalo

I was ranking programs based on their fellowship placements..

Hi, guys. Like 127hours (hi buddy), I am also going for the IM match this season with cardiology in mind as fellowship. I am confused between Uconn and umdnj njms. Any idea which program must be ranked higher? Thanks!

I'm a medical student still but interested in Cardio. I will be an IMG too. I was wondering how the heck you guys have 5+ publications and like 10 abstracts...etc. Did you do that during residency or did you take 2 years off after residency or what? Did you all do research in med school?
I have ZERO research experience (I despise research)...and now seeing all of you guys is killing my dream of being a Cardiologist. Explain to me please!!!

then why the cardiology placements for Uni of arkansas, KU and MCG are poor? KU=0 MCG=0 UAMS-1 as compared to SLU residents going inhouse, einstein, tufts n uni of nebraska or say SLR people going inhouse, einstein, arkansas, henry ford etc..

i totally understand that reputation wise:

Uni of Arkansas>Uni of Kansas>MCG>Henry Ford>SLR>Buffalo

I was ranking programs based on their fellowship placements..

I would rank as following ( but look for one has good cards reasearch program), just don't look for "University". There are very highly reputed non university programs also.

2. SUNY-buffalo (H1)
3. Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
4. St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
5. Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
6. Henry Ford, Detroit
7. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
8. UMDNJ/cooper-camden

you decide how you want rank following
St Louis University, St Louis
Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1) (Pice of ****)

I would rank as following ( but look for one has good cards reasearch program), just don't look for "University". There are very highly reputed non university programs also.

2. SUNY-buffalo (H1)
3. Uni of Connecticut, Farmington
4. St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, NY (H1)
5. Allegheny General, Pittsburgh
6. Henry Ford, Detroit
7. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
8. UMDNJ/cooper-camden

you decide how you want rank following
St Louis University, St Louis
Uni of Arkansas, Little rock (H1) (Pice of ****)

I wish if you could have replied a week earlier but anyways thank you for your comments. I have already submitted the ROL. But to carryon the discussion, I feel Cards at OU and KU are excellent. In fact at KU it is nationally ranked program but they dont take inhouse anymore is a different story. OU takes inhouse and its good enough program.

I agree about Uni of Arkansas, but why is it so? their chair of medicine is Cardiologist from Harvard, and he looked very intellectual. They have big people then why is the cards over there not reputed? if someone can answer this, it will certainly help future applicants.

I found cards at Henry ford more stronger than Allegheny..any comment on that?

Guys... how is everyone doing and those who did not have interviews earlier.... any luck so far? I got one IV from Winthrop last week..... any clue about the program?

Hello everyone.. I'll be starting my IM intern year this july at a univ-affiliate hosp and am very interested in doing a cardiology fellowship later on. My question is that I've never done any research and would like to know which type of research/publication/presentation are more favorable on an application for someone whose applying for cardiology fellowship?? Please shed some light. Thanks in advance :)

How is University of Oklahoma Health Science Center for Cardiology?

Guys, your questions about IM residency programs are valid. However, you seem to have hijacked the whole thread that was meant for IMG applicants to cardiology fellowship for this year. My advice will be to post this under a separate thread. If you guys have questions about specific programs, PM me. I will try to answer to the best of my abilities.

Fellow FMG how are you guys doing .The application season is closing in soon, I wish all the best....may our efforts pay off this june

Hello everyone.. I'll be starting my IM intern year this july at a univ-affiliate hosp and am very interested in doing a cardiology fellowship later on. My question is that I've never done any research and would like to know which type of research/publication/presentation are more favorable on an application for someone whose applying for cardiology fellowship?? Please shed some light. Thanks in advance :)

I am interested in the answer to this question. by the time I get into residency next year July...I would have done 2 years of research. Yeah some abstracts and papers here and there. However during residency how do I maintain a continuous scholarly work. Lets say I get into a program that has research opportunities....when do residents typically do research? I am asking becos I know that intern year may have a high workload and 2nd year isnt really easy too. U guys get to the lab at night? on weekends? How do I make time during my intern year to do research and publish ?

Hi guys,
First any research is better than no research. Second, consistency is very important i.e. publishsing a few papers every year for few years. Third, being first or second author is very important i.e. if somebody ass you to collect a database, you must check with the person of what your position in the project is going to be.
During residency you will only be able to some retrospective database research or maybe a meta-analysis/ systematic review but if you have a good question the paper can go into a high impact journal.
Good luck

Just thinking -- as an IMG with the worst known USMLE scores and coming from a poor community residency program, is it possible for me to retake at least Steps 1 and 2 to improve my chances ? I am currently a hospitalist and doing research work at a top tier university program (aboput to submit two abstracts to ACC but so far no publications).

Just thinking -- as an IMG with the worst known USMLE scores and coming from a poor community residency program, is it possible for me to retake at least Steps 1 and 2 to improve my chances ? I am currently a hospitalist and doing research work at a top tier university program (aboput to submit two abstracts to ACC but so far no publications).

It is NOT possible to retake Step 1 and 2 if you've already passed them based on my understanding. You're best best is to make some connections at your hospital, get some outstanding letters, make faculty make phone calls on your behalf, publish and try to be first author, apply broadly (100+ prgrms) and ace your interview.

Thanks. I figured that but was hoping there would be a chance that some way it would be possible. Anyway, it sucks that the rest of your life still depends on those stupid USMLE scores ! :( Everything is totally a steep uphill from here. :confused:

According to previous posts in this forum....they dont place much emphasis on USMLE scores. Sme programs dont even require it. Or your experience was contrary when u tried to apply?

According to previous posts in this forum....they dont place much emphasis on USMLE scores. Sme programs dont even require it. Or your experience was contrary when u tried to apply?

This is actually true and I forgot to mention it. However, if you are looking to do your fellowship at an academic place, they'll still look at them. However, one of the most important things to land the interview (told to me by a cards PD) is having the PD/faculty from your program or the place your doing research to give them a phone call. Since even the not so competitive programs are flooded w/ apps, you need a way to stand out.

I had on PD point them out in an interview last year as well as why I had an attempt on Step 3 ! I guess it was his way of saying "don't get your hopes high because there are way better candidates for this fellowship than you". :(

Hi All,

Im currently applying for the July 2013 cardiology fellowship. Was wondering if you guys can help me out with programs to pick.
On a j-1