IMG/FMG to DPM, what schools offer advanced standing besides Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shezadeh

E.I.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A relative is a foreign medical graduate who passed the STEPs, but has not been able to obtain a residency spot. Apparently Western University of Health Sciences grants advanced standing to international medical graduates, provided certain conditions are met.

Has anybody heard of this? Are there similar programs at other podiatry schools?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Students admitted to this program will be inserted into the 3rd year of education
wow that's something, I could understand second year but not third...does Western have 100% parity with it's DO Program? How would one make up lower extremity anatomy?

A relative is a foreign medical graduate who passed the STEPs, but has not been able to obtain a residency spot. Apparently Western University of Health Sciences grants advanced standing to international medical graduates, provided certain conditions are met.

Has anybody heard of this? Are there similar programs at other podiatry schools?
Tell your relative to email schools directly that they are interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have not yet heard anyone starting from Year 3. WesternU and NYCPM are the only two pod programs (to my knowledge) that provide such advanced standings.
At NYCPM, if a foreign doc has passed and finished Steps 1, 2, and 3 and meet the other admission requirements, they can start from Year 2.

wow that's something, I could understand second year but not third...does Western have 100% parity with it's DO Program? How would one make up lower extremity anatomy?
I was thinking it should be year 2 as well

Tell your relative to email schools directly that they are interested in.
Fair enough.

I have not yet heard anyone starting from Year 3. WesternU and NYCPM are the only two pod programs (to my knowledge) that provide such advanced standings.
At NYCPM, if a foreign doc has passed and finished Steps 1, 2, and 3 and meet the other admission requirements, they can start from Year 2.
I think the year 2 placement is more appropriate as well

All students granted advanced standing, whether transfers or international medical school graduates must attend a minimum of the final two years of full-time study at NYCPM in order to satisfy requirements for the D.P.M. degree

From NYCPM's website.

It's my understanding that US MD/IMG MD/DO can transfer into the third year. They can complete NBPME and all other graduation requirements and apply for podiatric residencies. For NYCPM, contact admissions and they can give you better information.

I do believe they actively look for unmatched physicians to join their program, although this option probably isn't very well-known among MD/DO graduates.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that most medical schools are pass/fail. I am not sure how that would even be compatible with DPM programs.

Last edited:
From NYCPM's website.

It's my understanding that US MD/IMG MD/DO can transfer into the third year. They can complete NBPME and all other graduation requirements and apply for podiatric residencies. For NYCPM, contact admissions and they can give you better information.

I do believe they actively look for unmatched physicians to join their program, although this option probably isn't very well-known among MD/DO graduates.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that most medical schools are pass/fail. I am not sure how that would even be compatible with DPM programs.

At NYCPM, you can only start from the 2nd year, not the 3rd year...same goes for Western, I assume, since you need to take lower extremity anatomy to sit for part 1 (it's 25% of part 1). And no, the programs are not 'actively' looking for these unmatched physicians; in a class of 100, there would be maybe 2-3 of these applicants at NYCPM. I'm not sure how things are at Western, though. The preclinical years in medical school in the US (DPM, DO/MD, and outside of the US) are still graded for the most part. Pass/fail usually begins from the 3rd year.

Giving these unmatched physicians a second chance to become a physician in the US is not unique to Podiatry schools; it's also seen at a few other programs (like the 5th pathway programs at MD schools).

For example, the DO program at NYIT: How to Apply to the Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. – Émigré Physicians Program (EPP) | College of Osteopathic Medicine | New York Tech

Reactions: 1 users