IMG: How many program to apply/Where? Advice needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalamoosa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here. It's been a long journey with medical.school and steps but I am all set to apply for Paediatrics this year.

I have two questions.
1. How many program should one apply to as an IMG? AND how do you break it down ie. Number of uni vs community program?

2. I've been reading about peds and IM get competitive over the years. As an IMG, should I forget middle tier uni orogramds or do I have a chance?

And one more, any thoughts on Cleveland Clinic Peds?

My credentials briefly:
Step 1: 251
Step 2: 260
CS: PASSED
All first attempt.
Grad year 2016
7 research pubs
2 months of electives at Cleveland Clinic in Paediatrics (I have strong LoRs)

Thank you in advance! Have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores indicate that you have a shot at some good programs. My program has taken a couple of IMGs every year, and we are a stand alone children's hospital, though not top tier.

Thank you for replying. I understand as an IMG, and with a normal CV, I don't stand much chance at top tier programs, hence I asked about middle ones. But going through this forum, even middle ones seem 'big names' for me.

And then how many program to apply to? I can see 150 programs in myeras.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I would classify your CV as normal. You are way above average for test scores (at least 20-30 points), you have more publications than most going into peds, you are a recent grad, and you have US clinical experience. What school did you/are you graduating from? You will have more difficulty as an IMG, but you show that you are very academic. As long as you can knock your interviews out of the park, there's no reason you shouldn't match somewhere.

Look at the resident rosters of the programs. If there is an IMG on the current resident roster, apply. Talk to the people you worked with at Cleveland Clinic and see what they advise. Apply to as many programs as you can afford.

Thank your replyin mvenus! I hope I can knock my IVs outta the park. I'm currently looking into the programs- going through 150 programs is not fun esp with a lot missing info on IMGs/visas etc. I did talk to people at CC and they did advise I apply to their program, and the ones in Michigan. I can't apply to Cali due to PTAL so that cuts a few programs too. I'd be very very happy to match at an academic/university program- tis the dream!

there's no reason you can't get into a top 5 or 10 program, especially if you are passionate about research

Do you need Visa? Where did you go for school?

Some programs will not take those who need visa regardless of their profile, period. They will mention that they welcome visa applicants in their website, but when the application starts, they will receive 500+ AMG applicants and they won't invite those who needs visa.
Some will take IMGs only from prestigious schools in some areas of the world. Some have special requirements, I remember last year I contacted a mediocre program in the east coast and they told me that they will look for IMGs who did at least 2 years of clinical rotations in the US. Big name programs ( Boston's Children's, CHOP, UCLA, Hopkins..etc) will invite IMGs if they have steps>250+, usually PhDs folks, most of the time from top medical schools in Europe, and ranking is completely different issue.

Now, your profile is really good for Peds, I don't think you will have any problem matching at a good university program. Is money an issue for you? if not, I would really advise you to apply for all 150+ programs, you never know what will happen during the application process.

Thank you doctor1!

You are right because I have seen programs with such requirements as one year of USCE or those which clearly state they don't sponsor visas so it practically is a no. Yes, I would require a visa , though I don't care which one. I would be more than happy to match at a mid-tier university program since I'm also inclined towards research.

As about money, yes money is an issue for me. Right now I'm thinking of applying to 80-100 programs with a breakdown as 30 uni, 30 uni-affiliates and 30 community hospitals roughly.

What are good.middle.tier programs? What do you guys know about Uni of Arkansas or Arizona? And NYMC at Westchester?

What are good.middle.tier programs? What do you guys know about Uni of Arkansas or Arizona? And NYMC at Westchester?
Anything specific you want to know about University of Arkansas?

Large, academic freestanding children's hospital. I think ranked 16th largest as far as beds. Only children's hospital in the state at the moment, although they're working on funding for a hospital in northwest Arkansas right now affiliated with the hospital in Little Rock. Also gets a lot of referrals from surrounding states. PICU, CVICU, and a level 4 NICU.

They sponsor H1B and J1 visas (according to their website), but I was also talking to a resident about this today who made it sound like one was more preferable than the other...? I personally don't know a whole lot about visas, but since you mentioned it, thought it was worth including.

There's a post from a while back where I think someone referred to it as a "diamond in the rough." I think that was mainly because, for some people, Arkansas isn't a super desirable place to live if you're used to a "big city" lifestyle. Obviously, not everywhere is going to be a good fit for everyone! Cost of living is low. There are a lot of outdoor activities a short drive away - good hiking, cycling, etc. Traffic isn't bad.

Last edited:
I am an IMG and currently in third year of peds residency in NY. If you have any specific questions about NY programs or application, feel free to PM ask :)

I am an IMG and currently in third year of peds residency in NY. If you have any specific questions about NY programs or application, feel free to PM ask :)

I did PM you, thank you!

There's a post from a while back where I think someone referred to it as a "diamond in the rough." I think that was mainly because, for some people, Arkansas isn't a super desirable place to live if you're used to a "big city" lifestyle. Obviously, not everywhere is going to be a good fit for everyone! Cost of living is low. There are a lot of outdoor activities a short drive away - good hiking, cycling, etc. Traffic isn't bad.

Arkansas does look like a very good program. I would love to live in the countryside too. The program has 24 residents per year, which to me is a big program. I wanted to know what teaching is like, research opportunities, camaraderie and life in Little Rock. It doesn't seem to be a small city either, somewhere in the middle. The website is beautiful so they get a thumbs up for that too!