IMG in distress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am graduating soon and moving to Pasadena this fall with my family. I'm interested in a residency in pediatrics/family practice. I have 2 questions:
1. Being a mother, I'm concerned about the long hours. Are working hours really so horrible? I've visited a few of the residency programs' sites but want something more specific from someone who's actually there.
2. What are my options as an MD besides residency (I'm missing this year's match, so I'll have almost a year to wait).
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say it, but you might have thought about this before medical shcool.

Anyway, There are family practice resicdency programs that are kind to mothers. Family practice in general is known for the lifestyle advantage. However, you will still have to take call.

You can consider selling pharmaceuticals or medical supplies or orthopedic sales rep.

However, no matter what you do, you will not get past long hours. Selling thing requires that you build a market. That means travel and hard work and long hours.

You can consider research. But the salary for this is low compared to what you could make as an M.D.

When you finish residency, you can work part time. If I were you, I would look for spot outside the match and get started. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get a residency slot.

EH.

Hi
Thanks. What about PA positions? Are those available for MDs?
By the way, I'm not afraid of hard work (or else how would I get myself through med school?), but where I come from (Israel) you can have a carreer in medicine and be a mother. Not that it's not demanding, but everyone seems to manage somehow.
Thanks again
Adish

Members don't see this ad :)
In theory, some residency programs will let you do a part time residency. I don't know of specific programs that allow this, nor do I know if this happens much in the real world. You'd probably need to talk to each program individually to see if that was an option.

I think the list of programs in FRIEDA will tell you if they offer positions to part-timers.

I'm going to start my PGY1 but I feel uncomfortable when I speak English, this is a obstacle for my residency??? :(