Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Here we go guys, I'm starting it up. Please note that for the purpose of posting one's stats and interview offers this thread is limited to IMG applicants applying to IM. However, everyone is welcome to ask questions and offer advice.

Feel free to enter your stats and be as vague or as detailed as you see fit.

Gluck everyone, lets make this a successful thread and help one another like we did last year.

Last edited:
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My stats:
step 1 - 228/step 2 - 229/step 3 - 223/CS pass first attempt
Few research posters and 1 publication
YOG 2018 from a Caribbean Med School
Non-US IMG - Visa required
For my IM programs I'm going to use 2-3 IM LORS + 1 FM LOR

I'm applying again this year as I was unable to match in the 2019 cycle. Last year I had 3 interviews at smaller community IM programs, 2 were through connections

After not matching in the past cycle, I've taken the step 3 and I'm going to be starting an outpatient observership.
Going to apply to both IM and FM programs this year, let's see what happens.
Not the greatest plan so far in improving my app since last year, but it's working progress, still brainstorming ideas on how to improve my chances of matching

Last edited:

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
Hey guys!!!

nonUS-IMG, YoG: 2018
step1: 254
step2ck: 254
step2cs: first pass
step3: 232

USCE: 2months (1 el., 1obs)
LoRs: 1 IM, 2 IM-subspecialty, 1 nonIM (2 of them US, 2 nonUS)

pubs: 2 (hopefully 3 until Sep.)

I wish good luck to all of you!

About the Ads

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys!

Thanks for starting this thread, I was waiting forever

My stats:

Non US IMG need visa
YOG: 2016

Step 1. : 25x
Step2 : 26x
Step 3: 25x
USCE: 1 month red flag :(
LOR: 4 (3 US - 2 IM, 1 research) and 1 from dept head in home country
Research: 2 pubs

Applying to: > 120
Your scores are good(though I don’t see what the point of the x for the 3rd digit )

Your other red flags are YOG and that you need a visa.

Would recommend you apply to more places...if you get a 10% return, then you only have 12 visits...you should at to have more in the range of 15-20 interviews.

batmanisreal88

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Status
MD/PhD Student
US IMG
YOG 2017
Step 1: 211 // Step 2: 230 // Step 2 CS: Pass // Step 3: 217 (first attempt)
USCE: 6 months of Sub Internship (25 weeks) + 6 weeks Observership
Research: 2 projects (pending approval)

Applying > 200+ (second time applying) only IM (all my LORs are IM specific)

Last edited:
May 23, 2018
Your scores are good(though I don’t see what the point of the x for the 3rd digit )

Would recommend you apply to more places...if you get a 10% return, then you only have 12 visits...you should at to have more in the range of 15-20 interviews.
Just a question. Is 2016 still considered within the realm of < 3 years from graduation. Which is what I noted as a one of the limits on program websites.

May 23, 2018

Also thank you so much for your response! Truly appreciated your comments on the 2019 thread. Money is a huge factor for me so that’s why I have so little on my list. Will try to increase tho

Reactions: DocSpy332

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Just a question. Is 2016 still considered within the realm of < 3 years from graduation. Which is what I noted as a one of the limits on program websites.
The most competitive applicant is the 4th year...anymore and it’s a ding...is it one that can be over comed? Sure... if you can’t apply to more, then make sure the ones you apply to are potentially high yield...they have taken people from your school, offer visas, etc...

Reactions: Ashantua

Simplyaroy

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Here we go guys, I'm starting it up. Please note that for the purpose of posting one's stats and interview offers this thread is limited to IMG applicants applying to IM. However, everyone is welcome to ask questions and offer advice.

Feel free to enter your stats and be as vague or as detailed as you see fit.

Gluck everyone, lets make this a successful thread and help one another like we did last year.
Rooting for you this year, Bobbbyyy. Let's get it started

LESBLEUE

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys

Non us img

Step 1 246
Step 2 270
Cs 1st atempt
Step3 not yet?
5 mo USCE - 4 USA im letters
1 year research at USA university (currently)
10 pubs 6 as 1st author
2 abstracts
1 oral presentation
YOG 2019
Applying 240 pgms

Last edited:
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi guys

Non us img

Step 1 246
Step 2 270
Cs 1st atempt
Step3 not yet?
10 pubs 6 as 1st author
2 abstracts
1 oral presentation
YOG 2019
Applying 240 pgms

Don't know how you could make that application any better :1oops:

rhomboid

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2016
Status
Post Doc
Hi guys

Non us img

Step 1 246
Step 2 270
Cs 1st atempt
Step3 not yet?
10 pubs 6 as 1st author
2 abstracts
1 oral presentation
YOG 2019
Applying 240 pgms
Maybe try to apply EB2-NIW green card by yourself? At least you can have a status of EAD.

Reactions: braineddetermined
About the Ads

AnalisCanalis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Non-US IMG

Step 1: >260
Step 2 CK: >260
Step 2 CS: Pass
Step 3: >260
YOG: 2019
Research: 1 publication, 1 pending
USCE: 2 months

Currently ~160 programs on my list, will try to reduce to somewhere between 120-150.

Last edited:

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Non-US IMG

Step 1: 267
Step 2 CK: 272
Step 2 CS: Pass
Step 3: 260
YOG: 2019
Research: 1 publication, 1 pending
USCE: 2 months

Currently ~160 programs on my list, will try to reduce to somewhere between 120-150.
If you can, you should apply to as many places that you can...better to have too many interviews invites than not enough...you can start to pare down the number of invites after you receive more than 20.

Are you visa requiring?

AnalisCanalis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If you can, you should apply to as many places that you can...better to have too many interviews invites than not enough...you can start to pare down the number of invites after you receive more than 20.
You are right, but at a certain point down the list I would probably prefer my options back home. Also, there are some personal/geographical constraints that come into play. I think I am pretty close to the sweet spot, though time will tell.
Are you visa requiring?
Yes

May 30, 2018
My step 1 is 212 and step 2 is 221. Programs have requirement 220 on both. so if I have one score above 220, should I apply to those programs?

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Never heard about this website but it seems pretty cool and provides interesting data, and goes in depth with how one compares to the average resident in that program.

My go to is Freida, they updated their software and now their new layout seems pretty badass and it provides me quick info on programs and their visa status, step req, and img%

Drscopes

Mike-o-plasma
2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys!

I am a Non US IMG. I plan to apply for this match cycle. However, I was wondering, is it better to have all 4 letters from US rotations, or 3 + 1, with one being from your home school department head?

Any pros or cons of either conditions?

Thanks

Reactions: Larons

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
I think it mainly depends on the program you re applying to.. Some of them require at least one from your medical school. If not, US LoRs are usually more valuable. You should also consider the content of each LoR (if you know that), the relationship you had with the author, etc and then make your decision.
But in general US LoRs are the strongest.

Reactions: Larons and Drscopes
May 23, 2018
Does anyone know if step 3 is included in the USMLE transcript or if that is a separate document to upload to ERAS?

About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Does anyone know if step 3 is included in the USMLE transcript or if that is a separate document to upload to ERAS?
Included

May 31, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello everyone,
thank you for staring this thread

US-IMG
Step 1: 227, first attempt
Step 2 CK: 255, first attempt
Step 2 CS: Took it last month, waiting for the results
YoG: 2018, currently an IM resident in home country
USCE: None, I have a 2-month observership scheduled in Oct and Nov 2019 though
Publications: 2 (1 first author)

Worried about not having USCE and US LoR :(

imgcap

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys.
Non-US IMG

Step 1: 239
Step 2: 260
Step 2 CS: 1st pass
YoG: 2019
USCE: 3 months electives and 1 Sub-I
LoRs: 3 US + 1 home dpt. chair
Publications: 2 oral presentations + 2 poster presentations

Last edited:

jumpdan23

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Non-Student
Hey Everyone, I have alarming red flags and was wondering if anyone had the answer. My stats:

US-IMG
Step 1: 237
Step 2: 241
Step 2 CS: 1st PASS
USCE: 2 months IM Externship. 1-month EM Observership.
LoR: 3 US
No research
YoG: 2018

The red flag has to do with my YoG. I was supposed to graduate back in 2015 but I extended my internship year to prepare for Step 1 and do externships so I technically graduated only in Jan 2018. My medical school duration shows 9 years on my diploma. Also, after graduating in Jan 2018, I've taken this last year to prep for Step 2 CK and CS with only 1 month of observership as any form of clinical activity, so that's another gap. What are your thoughts on my candidacy for this year? Should I wait another year and find clinical work? Thank you!

Aug 5, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys

Non us img

Step 1 246
Step 2 270
Cs 1st atempt
Step3 not yet?
10 pubs 6 as 1st author
2 abstracts
1 oral presentation
YOG 2019
Applying 240 pgms
How have you been doing 1 year of research in the US yet you graduated in 2019?

LESBLEUE

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
How have you been doing 1 year of research in the US yet you graduated in 2019?
End medschool in march started in march research until march nxt year

Aug 5, 2019
Status
Medical Student
End medschool in march started in march research until march nxt year
Ah makes sense I guess.. I'm assuming your 5 months of USCE were all during med school then
If you don't mind me asking, how much of your pubs were before vs after you graduated?

Mar 10, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey there! Thanks for the thread @Bobbbyyyy , I was waiting to see who would start it lol
Non-US IMG
step1: 252
step2: 263
step2cs: first pass
step3: not yet
YoG: 2016
USCE: 3w clerkship (pathology), 1mo externship (IM-Onc), 1mo obs (general surgery)
LoRs:
1 IM(US), 1 Path (US), 1 Head of IM from the university where I'm doing my residency (Non-US), 1 IM (Non-US)
In total: 2 home country-2 US
Pubs: 1
Abstracts: 2
Currently a PGY-3 IM resident at home country university hospital. No major gaps (3 months while waiting for my residency to start).
Planning to apply broadly (like 200ish) but not sure of the number yet.

Mar 10, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Since some programs ask for an LOR from the head of IM department in med-school, do you think I should use the letter from the Head of IM in my residency program or from the med-school? Residency head has seen me as a resident so it feels like it would carry more weight... What do you guys think?

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looks like AAMC just put out a statement updating applicants that PTAL will no longer be needed, until after matching into a program in California.
And I take it the medical school restrictions that have existed in the past are no longer being enforced?

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Licensees/SB798PD_FactSheet.pdf

My question is if we are all welcome to apply, how competitive will the Cali programs be? I'm assuming still very.

I will off course look at the programs on Freida, but does anyone know which specific programs or specific regions would be more attainable for IMGs that we should pay more emphasis to when creating our program list?

Reactions: EcuMD69
About the Ads

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Looks like AAMC just put out a statement updating applicants that PTAL will no longer be needed, until after matching into a program in California.
And I take it the medical school restrictions that have existed in the past are no longer being enforced?

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Licensees/SB798PD_FactSheet.pdf

My question is if we are all welcome to apply, how competitive will the Cali programs be? I'm assuming still very.

I will off course look at the programs on Freida, but does anyone know which specific programs or specific regions would be more attainable for IMGs that we should pay more emphasis to when creating our program list?
Just because Cali has stopped requiring a PTAL and no longer are maintaining a Cali list of approved schools doesn’t mean that the programs are going to all of a sudden be receptive to I/FMG...they are m/l stopping those things because they are expensive to maintain...

LESBLEUE

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Ah makes sense I guess.. I'm assuming your 5 months of USCE were all during med school then
If you don't mind me asking, how much of your pubs were before vs after you graduated?
5 mo usc during med
5 pubs during medschool
5 this year

Lccjblu

7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2010
Status
Medical Student
This is kind of off topic, but how involved are USCE’s usually? Are you seeing patients and presenting the way a medical student or resident would?

We recently had an IMG Rotating on our service who was very smart but didn’t have medical record access or anything so she was effectively just shadowing and not actively involved in patient care. She was talking about getting a Rec letter from our staff, which was quite surprising to me as I felt there wasn’t much she could be evaluated on. Is this a typical experience?

Jun 8, 2018
Hi everyone, I am excited to be here with you all on this match journey. I am a US IMG at one of the big 4 carib schools. I am applying to categorical IM and combined IM/psych programs...I think I might wanna do an endocrine or critical care fellowship one day, but we shall see. :)

Here are my stats:

step1: 239
step2: taking late August
step2cs: scheduled for Nov; trying to find an earlier date
step3: not yet taken
YoG: 2020
USCE: all rotations in US
LoRs: 1 from the IM clerkship director at my school, in the process of requesting more
Pubs: 0 so far, but I do have research experience

I am worried that I won't have my CS in on time; does anyone know how big of an issue that will be? I don't want to delay applying to match for a year if I can help it.

Good luck to everyone :)

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hi everyone, I am excited to be here with you all on this match journey. I am a US IMG at one of the big 4 carib schools. I am applying to categorical IM and combined IM/psych programs...I think I might wanna do an endocrine or critical care fellowship one day, but we shall see. :)

Here are my stats:

step1: 239
step2: taking late August
step2cs: scheduled for Nov; trying to find an earlier date
step3: not yet taken
YoG: 2020
USCE: all rotations in US
LoRs: 1 from the IM clerkship director at my school, in the process of requesting more
Pubs: 0 so far, but I do have research experience

I am worried that I won't have my CS in on time; does anyone know how big of an issue that will be? I don't want to delay applying to match for a year if I can help it.

Good luck to everyone :)
It’s a big one...you have to have a passed score by ROL date or you will be withdrawn from the match, period .

With a November date you probably won’t get a score until January...there will be programs that won’t extend an invite to F/IMGs until they have all 3 results so it can limit the number of invites you get.
What are your 3rd year grades...all honors and places may give you the benefit of the doubt... but for F/IMGs great grades don’t necessarily help...bad grades will hurt.

You should be on your computer trying to get a last minute cs spot ASAP...hopefully then you could at least have a score by October.

Who on earth told you to wait til November to take cs?!

May 30, 2018
How long can we wait for physicians to upload a LOR? I'm so worried I asked a physician and he said yes too but it's been more than 2 weeks, no answer. Is it he just changed his mind?

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How long can we wait for physicians to upload a LOR? I'm so worried I asked a physician and he said yes too but it's been more than 2 weeks, no answer. Is it he just changed his mind?
how long? as long as they take lol
but keep reminding them honestly other than that there's not much more one can do
I asked one of my letter writers before last year's match and frequently reminded her, still waiting for that letter... *fingers crossed*

Reactions: EcuMD69 and Virgo32
May 30, 2018
how long? as long as they take lol
but keep reminding them honestly other than that there's not much more one can do
I asked one of my letter writers before last year's match and frequently reminded her, still waiting for that letter... *fingers crossed*
Thank you for the reply :) Letters are a big headache! I know they have a tough schedule but even one line can help someone to build their career. Hope I get my answer soon.

Roxxan

Non US IMG
Jun 8, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Img
Step 1: 250
Step 2: 266
Step 2 cs : 2nd attempt( big red flag)
Step 3: waiting results
Yog: 2016
1 month obs
2 month externship
2 month volunteering in a hospital(don’t know if it counts)
Planning to apply in 150-160 programs

yahsha33

7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if applying for prelim spots is relatively easier given the uncertainty you have past that first year? I have a 230 step 1 and passed cs and about to give step 2 ck as aUS IMG and i want to do either IM or neuro so i was wondering if applying heavily for a prelim along with categorical spots would be a good idea or does it not matter either way? Thanks

batmanisreal88

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Status
MD/PhD Student
Does anyone know if applying for prelim spots is relatively easier given the uncertainty you have past that first year? I have a 230 step 1 and passed cs and about to give step 2 ck as aUS IMG and i want to do either IM or neuro so i was wondering if applying heavily for a prelim along with categorical spots would be a good idea or does it not matter either way? Thanks
Prelim spot tend to go for applicants who want to specialize in Anesthesiology, Radiology, Dermatology. Making these spots very very competitive. You have a good Step 1 score. Go all out for categorical is my humble opinion.

Disclaimer: I am an applicant just like you. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Do thorough research.

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Prelim spot tend to go for applicants who want to specialize in Anesthesiology, Radiology, Dermatology. Making these spots very very competitive. You have a good Step 1 score. Go all out for categorical is my humble opinion.

Disclaimer: I am an applicant just like you. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Do thorough research.
Neurology also needs a prelim IM year. Since one of the specialties he is considering is neurology, he would need to have a prelim year anyway

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How bad does it look if one of my LORs will be dated as September 2018? aka if I reupload the same LOR from my last years application

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
How bad does it look if one of my LORs will be dated as September 2018? aka if I reupload the same LOR from my last years application
Just ask the letter writer to redate the letter.

Dude, this is your second go round...you should have everything the best you can by now...dont cut corners

Reactions: EcuMD69
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just ask the letter writer to redate the letter.

Dude, this is your second go round...you should have everything the best you can by now...dont cut corners
I know I only ask because I've reminded him multiple times and he hasn't responded so I'm just looking at backup options incase he doesn't upload.
If you were reading an outdated letter, how much impact would that have?

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
I had exactly the same problem and I was in the same dilemma. Keep sending emails (a kind reminder every week or 10 days, will be fine). I would wait until the last week of August. If its a US LoR I think that you dont have an option.. if you dont get an updated version, you should upload the 2018 version.

About the Ads