IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol, the stress is real. I worry about whether I really have a shot or not all the time. Then I look at last years CV and I consider it a miracle that I even got interviewed. There's really no way to go into MATCH feeling super confident...unless I have wine ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Where to check your medical school is approved by the state or not? I know about Cali but is it I have to check every state before applying?

Where to check your medical school is approved by the state or not? I know about Cali but is it I have to check every state before applying?
Most states use the FAIMER/WHO list so pretty much every school is approved...some states have used the Cali list, though now that there is no Cali list, not sure what they plan to do...some states take it case by case. Some states have their own list.

Texas has their own list.
Georgia and Oregon used the Cali list
Mass is case by case, though used Cali list as guidance...but there was a case of a couple st matthews(?) students that couple matched at st Vincent’s and ended up not being able to stay because they were unable to get a license in mass... school wasn’t approved.

But yes, the safest thing would be to check each state if you have a concern that your school potentially is not an approved school.

FWIW, domiciled foreign schools are usually on the WHO list... it’s the for profit, off shore schools that have issues.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

Good luck to everytone applying this year...

I am also applying IM,

USIMG
YOG 2015
Step 1 212
Step 2 236
CS 1st attempt pass
Step 3 221

I was previously an ER physician...

thinking about applying 200 places to be sure... very nervous about the process...

I have about 5 letters from US physicians, cardiology, pulmonology, rheumatology, only IM...

If you dont mind, which country are you from? Are you applying only for IM?

Guys, I have an inquiry. Do you think actively working as a resident in your home country negatively affect your chance to receive IV's or match? I heard they might think that you can just walk away from your match (so you're a risky choice) since you're actively working or may not be 100% dedicated to education in the US. Any thoughts or experiences?

Non us img
Step 1 23x
Step 2 24x
CS first attempt
Step 3 passed
YOG 2015
Usce 3 months

What are my chances guys???....hope we all will do fine.

What happened last year? How many IV's? What changed in your CV from last year?
Hey guys, second time match here too. Hoping for the best.

YOG: Dec 2016
USIMG
Step 1/CS/CK: 215/pass/239 all taken once
USCE: 9 months
Research: 4 experiences
Pubs: 14 + 4 posters

Going all out here guys. any feedback would be appreciated, I just want to get into a program at this point.

What happened last year? How many IV's? What changed in your CV from last year?
didn't have much on my CV except my scores, some USCE, and I started working in research during the cycle so putting it in my CV was not an option. super frustrating, I hope this year is different...As far as interviews, I had five.

Were you not able to input your Visa status information when you were filling the eras application? @Virgo32

Last edited:
oOld oOld IMG here
YOG 2008MB 2013 MD-PhD huge red flag
step1 25x
step2 23x I had 6 times computer shut off when I was doing the blocks and the last block was gone before it was done, I had no where to complain. the admin said this happens...... guess it's a huge red again but still made the cut offs
CS pass 1st
ECFMG certified
USCE Ob 1 month with PD
9 pubs with 2 1st. 2 more under review.
6 researches and 2 on going
2 years US top public university research
Home country top hospital in huge city faculty and Chief resident since graduation
US IMG no Visa needed
LOR 1 us IM attending strong
1 us PD good
1 home professor ob related res
1 home chair and PD

come to us for family. will try to match ob/gyn. I understand its hard if not impossible for all of my red flags. not so many programs fit me out there. will also try IM and FM. any suggestions? maybe wait one more year get more USCE?

Good luck every one!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Super old IMG here too! (hence the handle)
YOG 2000, finished IM residency in my home country in 2006-- the red flag is so huge it's covering the entire US west coast.
Step 1 227, 2CK 240, 2CS pas, all at first attempt
11 pubs, 7 as first author
Research since 2006, the last 6 years in the US (does it really matter though, with my YOG?)
Don't need Visa
4 LoRs 3 from US clinicians, 1 from US med school Dean (not Dean's letter, literally LoR from a Dean)
USCE for the last 2 years at PCP/University-affiliated clinic

Applying to 120 IM programs (I don't think I can apply to more programs due to the YOG restriction)

Honestly, do I even have a chance?

I wish everyone here the very best of luck!

YOG 2000, finished IM residency in my home country in 2006-- the red flag is so huge it's covering the entire US west coast.
Research since 2006, the last 6 years in the US (does it really matter though, with my YOG?)
Don't need Visa
4 LoRs 3 from US clinicians, 1 from US med school Dean (not Dean's letter, literally LoR from a Dean)

Applying to 120 IM programs (I don't think I can apply to more programs due to the YOG restriction)

I personally know a chief he matched 18 years after graduation with 8 years gap with no related activities.......he said that was pure luck......hope I could have the same luck and you too!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't need Visa

Plus you must have tons of connections I assume? I have a friend with over ten years YoG got matched just because he had a paper with the PD.......he applied only one and got it.......that was years ago though.......

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus you must have tons of connections I assume? I have a friend with over ten years YoG got matched just because he had a paper with the PD.......he applied only one and got it.......that was years ago though.......
I have a few connections, to three programs from the attendings I have been working with. But they also told me to apply to multiple programs, not just the ones that he has connections with. The attendings I've been working with are amazing, and very helpful throughout this application process, but at the same time, I wonder how much string they can pull with my YoG. oh... the anxiety! lol

Yes, best of luck to you too!

I personally know a chief he matched 18 years after graduation with 8 years gap with no related activities.......he said that was pure luck......hope I could have the same luck and you too!
Amen to that!

Hey guys, just wanted to bump this, I'm actively working as an IM resident so what do you think?
Also, do you think I should mark my work experience (residency) end date as September 2019 so that they would think I'm resigning for the match? For this, I have to explain my reason for quitting which will lead me to lie and I'm not sure if resigning for the match will look positive...

Or should I just say I'm actively working and my end-date is March 2021 (the truth) which brings us to my original question? Need help guys I'm confused.

Hey guys, just wanted to bump this, I'm actively working as an IM resident so what do you think?
Also, do you think I should mark my work experience (residency) end date as September 2019 so that they would think I'm resigning for the match? For this, I have to explain my reason for quitting which will lead me to lie and I'm not sure if resigning for the match will look positive...

Or should I just say I'm actively working and my end-date is March 2021 (the truth) which brings us to my original question? Need help guys I'm confused.
Never lie...if you are resigning then put that date down, otherwise put the truth down...lying is probably the worst thing you can do and if found out ( and that would be easy enough to be found out), there can be consequences for that.

My step 1 is 212 and step 2 is 221. Programs have requirement 220 on both. so if I have one score above 220, should I apply to those programs?

I´m on the same boat! step 1 is 212, step 2 is 222, Step 3 199. Is this your first time applying? This is my second time and I want to apply to more programs but the >220s is killing me. I don´t know which programs will immediately filter you out and which ones will "prefer" a >220 score but will still look at your whole application holistically. :shrug:

NON-US IMG, 2nd time applying. The first time I had 4 interviews, and applied to 200 IM programs.
Step 1: 212
Step 2: 222
Step 2 cs: Pass 1st attempt
Step 3: 199
7 LORs (all from US)
Publications: 1 published, two partially accepted, one submitted and three manuscripts being submitted soon, 2 posters presentations

I didn´t match in 2018, after not matching I passed step 3, I was an instructor at my medical school for 1 year and then I completed a principles and practice of clinical research program at Harvard University, and then accepted a two-year commitment as a postdoctoral research fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School in the cardiovascular department for two years (so I wasn´t allowed to apply last year). I just completed one year and I will be done next July. Also, I am going one whole day per week to the clinic to shadow my PI. Hopefull my CV will be better for this match season!

Should I put my current job as a postdoctoral research fellow in Eras as work experience or research experience? Also, it is annoying that you can´t update your CV after submitting it in September. My three manuscripts (which I am the first author) will be hopefully submitted month, so right now I can´t put it as submitted or anything?! :(
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello every one. I need your opinion about my chance of getting matched in IM. Appreciate any suggestions to improve my application.
Step1:233
Step2 ck: 235
Cs- pass no attempt.
2018 graduate
3 months of electives with lors ( all from universities)
4 US lors
1 research publication submitted. Working on another one in my home country
Will be giving step3 in 2 months.
What are my chances for this years match in IM? Can any one reply .

NON-US IMG, 2nd time applying. The first time I had 4 interviews, and applied to 200 IM programs.
Step 1: 212
Step 2: 222
Step 2 cs: Pass 1st attempt
Step 3: 199
7 LORs (all from US)
Publications: 1 published, two partially accepted, one submitted and three manuscripts being submitted soon, 2 posters presentations

I didn´t match in 2018, after not matching I passed step 3, I was an instructor at my medical school for 1 year and then I completed a principles and practice of clinical research program at Harvard University, and then accepted a two-year commitment as a postdoctoral research fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School in the cardiovascular department for two years (so I wasn´t allowed to apply last year). I just completed one year and I will be done next July. Also, I am going one whole day per week to the clinic to shadow my PI. Hopefull my CV will be better for this match season!

Should I put my current job as a postdoctoral research fellow in Eras as work experience or research experience? Also, it is annoying that you can´t update your CV after submitting it in September. My three manuscripts (which I am the first author) will be hopefully submitted month, so right now I can´t put it as submitted or anything?! :(
Thanks!
I put my post doc in research experience. But that's just me. I couldn't find any clear guideline for post doc.
If you managed to submit your papers before September 15th, I would put them as 'submitted'. If not, you can explain in your ERAS application post doc section that currently you are preparing 3 manuscripts as first author and are planning to submit them in the month of xxx.

Question: How strict are programs with regards to their USCE requirement? I have been told from seniors from my school to not care about it much if you have 2 months or more. Any advice about this?

Hello everyone, I have a quick question:

I have graduated from med school yesterday. Because of diploma and ECFMG certificate paperwork, I will only be able to get my Step 3 score at 31st of October even in the best scenario. Is there any point of updating programs with a Step 3 score in the first week of November? Would it be too late?

TIA

Question: How strict are programs with regards to their USCE requirement? I have been told from seniors from my school to not care about it much if you have 2 months or more. Any advice about this?
I think it depends on different programs. I know people got in IM and OB with 0 USCE not even observ. And these programs usually claim that no USCE required. Most of the programs are pretty clear about how much they want. Just need to look into it on their website. I think it's also a subject of change every year.

Has anybody used residency explorer to search for programs??

yep, I like it, gives me the non-US IMG% for programs and tells me how many people applied to the program, it thinks it's superior to Freida overall
the drawback is that the software is really slow and often crashes

yep, I like it, gives me the non-US IMG% for programs and tells me how many people applied to the program, it thinks it's superior to Freida overall
the drawback is that the software is really slow and often crashes
There comes a box on top when you search specific area let says newyork

The box says
below range of matched applicant
Lower 25 % of matched applicant
Middle 50% of matched applicant
Upper 25% of matched applicant

What does that mean???how would I know where I fit..
Thanks for your reply :)

There comes a box on top when you search specific area let says newyork

The box says
below range of matched applicant
Lower 25 % of matched applicant
Middle 50% of matched applicant
Upper 25% of matched applicant

What does that mean???how would I know where I fit..
Thanks for your reply :)

the program sorts out a list based on where they think you have the best shot (I think)
it's currently listing programs for me from top to bottom based on the highest percentage of non-US IMG's that they have from highest to lowest%

use the circle thingy to guide you,
if it's black, you're on the top 25% for ie. step 1 step 2 etc.
if it's grey, you're in the middle 50%
and white, you're in the bottom 25%
same goes for research and volunteer work

maybe you're having trouble because you didn't set up your profile yet? fill in your scores, visa status, IMG status, research etc and it should arrange a list of programs based on specialty and state that you've selected, and it should list the programs based on where you're the best qualified (most black circles followed by grey followed by white) or based on the highest US IMG% or non US IMG% etc.

I don't really understand their score range because for ex. one program's step 1 range was listed as 226 - 235 for step 1 and they told me I'm in the top 25% even though my step 1 score is 228.
so I'm not sure how that works, even if most people recieved a 226, i shouldnt be in the top 25%?

the program sorts out a list based on where they think you have the best shot (I think)
it's currently listing programs for me from top to bottom based on the highest percentage of non-US IMG's that they have from highest to lowest%

use the circle thingy to guide you,
if it's black, you're on the top 25% for ie. step 1 step 2 etc.
if it's grey, you're in the middle 50%
and white, you're in the bottom 25%
same goes for research and volunteer work

maybe you're having trouble because you didn't set up your profile yet? fill in your scores, visa status, IMG status, research etc and it should arrange a list of programs based on specialty and state that you've selected, and it should list the programs based on where you're the best qualified (most black circles followed by grey followed by white) or based on the highest US IMG% or non US IMG% etc.

I don't really understand their score range because for ex. one program's step 1 range was listed as 226 - 235 for step 1 and they told me I'm in the top 25% even though my step 1 score is 228.
so I'm not sure how that works, even if most people recieved a 226, i shouldnt be in the top 25%?
That the program gets top applicants whose range of scores are 226-235. That the program matches within this range and should you apply, you'd be in the top 25 bracket. That should be a positive and it'd mean you're very competitive for that program I guess

Last edited:
Does anyone know the difference between primary care and categorical tracks and how it impacts on fellowship match rates ?

Does anyone know the difference between primary care and categorical tracks and how it impacts on fellowship match rates ?
Primary care tracks will have more clinics and chance for outpt electives.

PC tracks aren’t meant for those looking at fellowship, but the core rotations aren’t not different that the reg track IM programs so doesn’t mean you can’t get a fellowship.

I am currently in a primary care track myself and we get the exact same training as categorical residents. The main differences are: we get preference in choosing our primary care site, we have 3 primary care blocks throughout the year where we do outpatient rotations in different outpatient subspecialty clinics (not only traditional but also TB clinic, refugee health, geriatrics, addiction medicine), but we do get less elective time to be able to have these primary care blocks. Most primary care tracks work this way.

There is really no difference in fellowship matches regarding people that do the primary care track vs. categorical. However, people who are interested in procedure-heavy fellowships such as cards, GI or pulm/crit should not pursue PC tracks since they would benefit more from the elective time to pursue these subspecialties as inpatient rotations. Having said that, as rokshana correctly points out, the primary care track is mostly for those who are interested in primary care or general medicine as a career.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi good people at SDN :)
I have a question about ERAS application.
If you have a previous residency training in your home country, where did you put it on your ERAS application?
I wanted to put it on the training section, but there are no options for out of country training. Can I put it in ACGME residency section? or should I put it in work experience?
TIA!

Hi good people at SDN :)
I have a question about ERAS application.
If you have a previous residency training in your home country, where did you put it on your ERAS application?
I wanted to put it on the training section, but there are no options for out of country training. Can I put it in ACGME residency section? or should I put it in work experience?
TIA!

I would think it should go in the work experience but I could be wrong

Last edited:
If I am a paid postdoctoral research fellow, should I put it under work experience or research experience??

Thanks!

Looking for some advice. NON-US/NON-Carribean IMG (visa needed).Score 226/223/pass(all first attempt)/ 10 months usce (8 months extern/2 months obs), 9 LORS, YOG 2018. Currently observing and soon joining a research project. I just got big setback with my step 3 as I failed it with 191. Underestimated biostats and regret it. My doubt is should I go ahead and apply for the upcoming match with a fail on my transcript? I knew my scores were not great but I was building my CV with work experience, conferencing, volunteering, publications, etc. Will my CV be even looked at?. I plan to work a bit harder and give step 3 again by the end of November. Can I somehow save this years match season?

I am FMG with YOG 2018, Need VISA

Step 1 --> 215 {I know I badly ****ed on this}
Step 2CK --> 256
Step 2CS --> Pass
Step 3 -->237
[All completed in 1st attempt]

4 LoRs (3 US, 1 Home) --> All waived
5 Publications

What are my chances of IM match 2020 ?
What can I do to increase them ?

All inputs from you are whole heartedly appreciated. Thank you in advance !!

Step 2CK --> 256
Step 2CS --> Pass
Step 3 -->237

5 Publications

I like your stats, I would imagine you would get some interviews, your CK improvement and also high step 3 score will stand out and your pubs as well

how can you improve? not sure, depends, talk to any connections you have to try to pull interviews, make sure your PS and your CV looks good, stay involved in something like obs, research, volunteer so you can talk about what you've been up to during interviews, make sure you apply to lots of programs

Hey guys,
wanted to know, in the ERAS form, citizen/ legal permanent resident/ refugee/ asylee are all grouped together.
How will PDs know which one do we belong to

Step 2CK --> 256
Step 2CS --> Pass
Step 3 -->237

5 Publications

The 215 step 1 is a problem

Would apply with a huge broad swath to many many places. The step 1 score will filter you out in a lot of circumstances

I got only 1 IM letters and rest are not from IM. I have FM and pediatrics. So, should I use 1 IM and 2 FM or include 1 peds in it? Emailed physicians but didn't get any other IM. And the programs with cut off 1-2 years of graduation, are they highly strict?
I'm applying to only those who meet my application criteria, so there are total programs less than 100. So should I apply to those too who don't meet but just to try out my luck that they are going to see my applications?

In programs requirements, there's is always a requirement of CV. So that's an ERAS CV? Right? and how to upload medical diploma? Please explain I dont want to miss anything.

In programs requirements, there's is always a requirement of CV. So that's an ERAS CV? Right? and how to upload medical diploma? Please explain I dont want to miss anything.
Yes. It is ERAS CV.

Medical diploma will be taken care by your Medical school and ECFMG. To be eligible to write the USMLE exams, ECFMG verifies your documents. FOR ERAS you do not need to anything about it.

IF I AM WRONG. MEMBERS PLEASE CORRECT ME.

I got only 1 IM letters and rest are not from IM. I have FM and pediatrics. So, should I use 1 IM and 2 FM or include 1 peds in it? Emailed physicians but didn't get any other IM. And the programs with cut off 1-2 years of graduation, are they highly strict?
I'm applying to only those who meet my application criteria, so there are total programs less than 100. So should I apply to those too who don't meet but just to try out my luck that they are going to see my applications?

I do not know the answer to the LOR question but from what I have heard YOG is flexible.

Hello, good luck to everyone. I hope you all match somewhere you like.

I have a few questions.

1) What are all the things that can be changed even after applying on the 15th? I think we can continue to apply to more programs.
2) What if we have only 2 LoRs now? Can we add it a few days later and it would not make any difference?

Hello, good luck to everyone. I hope you all match somewhere you like.

I have a few questions.

1) What are all the things that can be changed even after applying on the 15th? I think we can continue to apply to more programs.
2) What if we have only 2 LoRs now? Can we add it a few days later and it would not make any difference?

A#1 Ummmm personal information. Nothing else if I am correct.
A#2 Few days........ Ummmm yeah sure I think it should be fine. Few days is the key here.

Applied on Sunday, today one paper got accepted.. :cryi:
Is there any way to update our pubs after submission (suppose not, just in case.. )?

Applied on Sunday, today one paper got accepted.. :cryi:
Is there any way to update our pubs after submission (suppose not, just in case.. )?
So sorry to hear about that man. It is unfortunate BUT your paper did get accepted. Always look on the bright side. Unfortunately I do not think you can change your application once it has been submitted.

Hey guys, does anyone know how long does the personal statement take to upload to ERAS? I'm still chopping away at it. :(