IMG license timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chichester

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG currently in PGY2 and planning to apply for jobs after completion of a 3 year residency - I have seen that for IMGs, many states require a minimum of 3 years postgraduate training in order to be eligible for a license.

Does this mean that I am unable to even apply for a license (and jobs?) until AFTER completing residency, and so have a 4-6 month or longer delay (depending on the state) before getting licensed and starting employment? Or is it ever possible to apply during PGY3 with a view to having a license in hand at completion of residency so as to start work right away? Im looking at NY, PA, and NC.

Members don't see this ad.

You can certainly start the process and get your documents started/submitted. You can also contact those boards directly and ask this question (which is the right thing to do...it took you longer to find and register on SDN then post this query, than it would have to just email the 3 boards in question).

Reactions: 1 user
Usually, you can submit all of your paperwork in your PGY3, they review everything, and then your license will be issued in July after you complete training and it's confirmed by your program.

Reactions: 1 user