Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1090645

I doubt that you will find any more open minded people then those that are on the SDN forum. I think that your attitude and accusatory nature turns people off. If you are looking for empathy, I would try to change the way that you are expressing your message. Just my opinion.
This is my first experience on here and the point of my initial messaging was to warn doctors who were considering international medical schools. It's ironic that I was trying to warn others because I am a nice person but have instead been attacked. I speak my mind and seeing that you obviously don't understand what its like to go unmatched I figured I should attempt to educate you so you can stop accusing people of being crappy doctors when you don't know really understand the situation like someone who has gone through it. I was surprised at the lack of empathy since I am your fellow citizen, a fellow MD, and if the roles were reversed I would do my best to help you. I have to call it how I see it, not sorry, and if you try to cast me as a poor doctor and accuse me of that you shouldn't be surprised if shots are fired back your way.

Sep 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
From the way I see it, US Citizens are always preferred to match if you obtain medical training in the country. The system is already established to favor US citizens matching into residency. Since US IMG's decide to obtain medical training elsewhere and put themselves at risk for not matching, and now complain that they should be prioritized over FMGs? What happens to your personal responsibility when you make a decision to obtain medical training elsewhere, and cannot compete with other IMGs and FMGs whose applications are stronger?
Medical schools are not charity organizations that gives out acceptance letters to every candidates who apply. If you cannot get accepted into US medical schools and decide to pursue medical training in the Caribbean, you are 100% entitled to the rewards and 100% responsible for the consequences that come with it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
D

deleted1090645

The net economic activity created by someone putting their money into the economy rather than student loans is much higher. The better solution would be to stop offering loans for students going overseas and forgive the loans of those that already have done so and not matched.
I mean is that a solution? I am talking about plausible legislation that would be a win win. Increase positions and give them to Citizens and LPRs first so they can pay back their debts and be a productive member of society. Like I mentioned earlier there are no other jobs without going into more debt for another degree. Trust me I have looked.

About the Ads
D

deleted1090645

From the way I see it, US Citizens are always preferred to match if you obtain medical training in the country. The system is already established to favor US citizens matching into residency. Since US IMG's decide to obtain medical training elsewhere and put themselves at risk for not matching, and now complain that they should be prioritized over FMGs? What happens to your personal responsibility when you make a decision to obtain medical training elsewhere, and cannot compete with other IMGs and FMGs whose applications are stronger?
Medical schools are not charity organizations that gives out acceptance letters to every candidates who apply. If you cannot get accepted into US medical schools and decide to pursue medical training in the Caribbean, you are 100% entitled to the rewards and 100% responsible for the consequences that come with it.
I didn't apply U.S. as mentioned earlier. I opted for a cultural exchange medical experience. If you read earlier threads you would know I did not know about the match rate and didn't know it was a gamble but I guess we should just discard all U.S. citizens that would be great doctors in their underserved communities for poor decision making ability right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

chaim123

Almost an MD
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Information about match rates is readily available across SDN. We're considering this thread to have run its course

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.