IMG medical school transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackie123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did check in previous threads but could not find the answer to this question.
I am an IMG, ECFMG certified.One of the places I interviewed(and another program) got back to me to tell me that my medical school transcript is missing.I called up ECFMG and they replied that I have to send a request to ECFMG to release it. I had talked with a lot of my IMG friends and they hadn't told me that they faced a similar problem.
We have to authorize release of USMLE transcripts, but as far as I am aware, once the ECFMG has our medical school transcripts(after we authorize our medical schoolds to release it to ECFMG), it automatically updates it into ERAS.
Can someone please shed some light on it? It is very distressing since all along I was under the impression that my application was complete and, this comes as a schocker.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your school can upload your transcript to the ERAS system, just as they uploaded LORs and the MSPE for you.
I was under the impression, just like you mention in your post, that ECFMG released the transcript that we had sent to them in order to the ECFMG certified, but apparently that doesn't happen; you need your school to upload it for you.

Your school can upload your transcript to the ERAS system, just as they uploaded LORs and the MSPE for you.
I was under the impression, just like you mention in your post, that ECFMG released the transcript that we had sent to them in order to the ECFMG certified, but apparently that doesn't happen; you need your school to upload it for you.

No,that does not happen with our medical school. We submitted the MSPE, and the letters were submitted electronically by the letter writers.

All of this is covered in the ECFMG manual for residency application. It is clearly stated that you need to submit a Medical school transcript along with all other documents - they do NOT transfer the transcript used for ECFMG certification (they don't explain why, and I think it's double work for both them and us).

I send my transcript by regular mail, and wouldn't you know it - it got lost! So I wrote ECFMG and they told me to contact the credentialing office and ask them to release a copy of my transcript to the ERAS office at ECFMG so they could upload it. 10 days later my med school transcript was uploaded...