IMG prepairing for USMLE interested in Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KWT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am a newly graduated from the college of medicine (King Saud University) in Saudi Arabia. I finished my one year internship training in rotations between many hospital & specialties (including 2 months Ophthalmology training) & become really interested in Ophthalmology. :love:
My father is a known Ophthalmologist in our country & we share the same interest.
I have recommendation letters from ophthalmologists in my country who worked with them.
I am currently in Chicago, IL preparing for USMLE course which will start on June for about one to one & half year.
I have a scholarship from the Ministry of Higher Education in my country.

My question is regarding the acceptance:

- Is there any specific requirements for the admission?
- Is it possible to have a conditional admission?
- What are the things which can make more attractive for the acceptance committee? :confused::confused::confused:
- What are the helpful things that I can do during this year beside the preparation for USMLE? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Waiting for your replies

& best regards

Members don't see this ad.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I hope I did not asked you difficult questions...

I know that the residents are most of the time busy...

but I post these questions because I am confident that I will have a curable answers from your side (from CF or HM to 20/20) :thumbup:

I await your reply eagerly

Hello

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am a newly graduated from the college of medicine (King Saud University) in Saudi Arabia. I finished my one year internship training in rotations between many hospital & specialties (including 2 months Ophthalmology training) & become really interested in Ophthalmology. :love:
My father is a known Ophthalmologist in our country & we share the same interest.
I have recommendation letters from ophthalmologists in my country who worked with them.
I am currently in Chicago, IL preparing for USMLE course which will start on June for about one to one & half year.
I have a scholarship from the Ministry of Higher Education in my country.

My question is regarding the acceptance:

- Is there any specific requirements for the admission?
- Is it possible to have a conditional admission?
- What are the things which can make more attractive for the acceptance committee? :confused::confused::confused:
- What are the helpful things that I can do during this year beside the preparation for USMLE? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Waiting for your replies

& best regards

1) No. Besides good grades, research, good letters, etc.

2) No.

3) See #1.

4) Get as high of a score as possible on Step 1 (and 2). Get excellent letters from U.S. faculty, get some research/publications (may require doing a dedicated year of research before applying).

It is not impossible but very tough for FMGs to match into ophthalmology. Every year there are lots of qualified U.S. applicants who fail to match -- make the argument why a program director should take you? Having said that, I'm a big believer of "nothing is impossible" mentality.

Check out the FAQ's sticky in this forum. Lots of good info there.

G'luck!

Thanks for the response

I highly appreciate the valuable information which was delivered to me in your reply

Best raegards