IMG training opportunities in the U.K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axonic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I'm a medical student about to finish my medical degree in an EU country. Yet, I'm not an EU citizen.

I'm checking trainining opportunities in the U.K and I wanted to share my thoughts with you - and maybe ask you for some information/advice.

I understand that as an IMG - I need a sponsored post that would fulfill the RLMT test. I contacnted the UK Foundation Office and they told me that - generally - foundation posts cannot be sponsored.

I have also been told that I will probably be eligible for permanent registration and not provisional one because I've attended a 6-year medical program.

So at this stage - the only option for me is to apply for residency posts (ST1?) that would fulfill the RLMT. My question is: realistically speaking - are there any such posts? How competitive is it to get one? Where are they usually advertised?

I thank you in advance for your reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically speaking I don't believe you can apply. Usually doing a 6 year medical program with a 1 year rotating internship if that is what you did, would allow you to apply to FY2. However, competition ratios for ST1 is much higher than for foundation spots to the point that many UK graduates will not get spots. I think its not possible for you unfortunately.

The Office meant that you can apply for the FY2. You must complete the FY2 programme (which only lasts 1 year) before you can apply for an ST1. ST1 is also equivalent to CMT/CST. The FY2 posts are advertised on the UKFPO website. The ST1 jobs are advertised on the: NHS Jobs website, the individual Hospital Trust website and the main CT1recruitment website. Hope that helps.

Dear All, I'm a medical student...I thank you in advance for your reply.