IMG's and plastics... and other questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OL17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting my question for a good friend who is a graduate from Mexico City (I promised her I will find out a few things for her about plastics in the States). She is currently doing her social service requirements in Mexico, but would like to apply for residency in plastic surgery in the US. My questions are the following:

1. Which programs are IMG friendly and which definitely are not?
2. Would it be a good idea for her to try to set up a rotation at one of the programs in the States? Would that improve her chances?
3. How receptive is the field to women applicants?
4. Is there a website with a complete listing of all the plastics programs?

She is a fantastic doctor, and I would love to help her out. I'm a peds person and know nothing about this, so I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Unfortunately, IMHO none of the PRS programs are "IMG friendly". Not because of any latent ethnocentrism but the reality is that PRS is extremely competitive and the programs get more than enough applications from US grads who can walk on water.

2. However, it is not unheard of for an IMG to match into PRS (although there's only been something like 1-2 over the last few years) and doing a rotation at a US program would likely significantly increase her chances. Its a small field and you have a better chance if people know you.

But it appears that your friend is already a graduate. If so, she may be limited to "observerships" as official rotations are limited to current students.

3. The field is very receptive to female applicants and this should not make a difference.

4. I do not know of a current website that lists all the programs; this has been a problem for years. However, she can get a list from FREIDA.

FYI,
University of Chicago matched one of their 2 spots outside of the match this year. They filled it with a foreign medical graduate. So it does happen, just extremely infrequently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grand Rapids,
My top choice. Could not be happier. Max, which program are you at, maybe we met when I interviewed.