Hysty

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
54
0
Status
hi
im from pakistan..have done my step1 and im planning to get into radiology....smbdy told me close to impossible for an IMG to get into radiology...but im still willing to try my luck and do whatever it takes to get into it..
.my step1 score is 244..and im planning to give my step2cs in march and step 2ck in july/aug...
but i have NO reseach experience at all..if anybdy can tell me what i really need to do to get myself a residency in radiology..itll be a GREAT HELP!
do i need to get into research..for how long..? and what shud be my minimum step1 & 2 scores..??
 

BenHoganFan

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
89
0
MD
Visit site
Status
Salaam, Hysty,

You should do do research for someone in the academic field of radiology to bat for you. You need enough research for someone to know your work ethic and potential as a radiologist. It is not impossible but not easy. If you can get your step 2 score to be in line with your step 1 score you should be ok. You need to pursue what interests you despite the uphill battle.
 
OP
H

Hysty

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
54
0
Status
BenHoganFan said:
Salaam, Hysty,

You should do do research for someone in the academic field of radiology to bat for you. You need enough research for someone to know your work ethic and potential as a radiologist. It is not impossible but not easy. If you can get your step 2 score to be in line with your step 1 score you should be ok. You need to pursue what interests you despite the uphill battle.

W/salam
Thanks for atleast giving me a some confidence becoz i havent heard anything from anybdy which i can call as encouraging..
okie i have a Q... what if the person whom i am doing my research for is not picking me up ..will smbdy else pick me up or not provided my research isnot that bad..
plus for how long shud i do research...2yrs or even more..adn how many publications will be close to sufficient ...??
Thanks.
 

BenHoganFan

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
89
0
MD
Visit site
Status
Hysty said:
W/salam
Thanks for atleast giving me a some confidence becoz i havent heard anything from anybdy which i can call as encouraging..
okie i have a Q... what if the person whom i am doing my research for is not picking me up ..will smbdy else pick me up or not provided my research isnot that bad..
plus for how long shud i do research...2yrs or even more..adn how many publications will be close to sufficient ...??
Thanks.
It is a matter of interest in radiology and one's aptitude. If they like you, they will vouch for you. Duration is not as important as accomplishing a goal (getting something published). Some specialties to get published are Pediatric imaging, Women's imaging, Neuroimaging and Virtual colonoscopy. You would have more clout in publishing in Radiology (most stringent criteria for publishing) than in some throw away journal. Try to find out if there is anyone affiliated with your medical school who is collaborating with someone in the US or find out if there are alumni from your school who have academic appointments in the US. Connections are always the key. It helps you get your foot in the door. It doesn't guarantee a spot but it doesn't hurt to work that angle. Good luck.
 
OP
H

Hysty

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
54
0
Status
BenHoganFan said:
It is a matter of interest in radiology and one's aptitude. If they like you, they will vouch for you. Duration is not as important as accomplishing a goal (getting something published). Some specialties to get published are Pediatric imaging, Women's imaging, Neuroimaging and Virtual colonoscopy. You would have more clout in publishing in Radiology (most stringent criteria for publishing) than in some throw away journal. Try to find out if there is anyone affiliated with your medical school who is collaborating with someone in the US or find out if there are alumni from your school who have academic appointments in the US. Connections are always the key. It helps you get your foot in the door. It doesn't guarantee a spot but it doesn't hurt to work that angle. Good luck.
great!...well ill try to get some research in US this yr...can u tell me a few places i can apply for research..or shud i start emailing everybdy i can come across online for a research job!
Thanks