IMGs in OBGYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice to an IMG (from St. Georges University) applying to OBGYN and also to IM? I just recently realized my interest in OBGYN and will be applying this year. Step 1 219 :( Taking my Step 2 in 1 week and hopefully do much better on it bc I studied my butt off for it.

How competitive is OBGYN compared to IM for interviews, residencies..etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
also from sgu, doing core ob/gyn now. i think 219 isn't too bad b/c ob-gyn residency typically doesnt require too crazy high board scores (somewhere near your score). get that step2 up there and you will be more competitive.

good luck

also from sgu, doing core ob/gyn now. i think 219 isn't too bad b/c ob-gyn residency typically doesnt require too crazy high board scores (somewhere near your score). get that step2 up there and you will be more competitive.

good luck

Thanks for the support... we ll find out soon how many interviews I get. I ll keep you updated.:thumbup:

Any advice from people already in residency or IMGs who went through the process?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 219 is a solid number that will land you interviews at upper middle tier programs. As the other post stated, it'll be great to aim for a similar score on step 2.

You'll have more invites from IM, but keep in mind that there are more programs and open slots so that may play a factor. OB has become increasingly competitive, but remains definitely do-able for an IMG. You just face an uphill battle with some of the upper tier programs, which use USMLE score cut-offs as well as certain school/graduate criteria.

As an IMG, I had similar scores, albeit 9 years ago. I landed invites at mid-tier programs, got in and finished residency, followed by an MFM fellowship, and am in practice. My advice to you: pick the specialty that makes you happy and go for it. IMG or not, with a 219 and hopefully similar step 2, you should get into a solid training program.

Best of luck.

The 219 is a solid number that will land you interviews at upper middle tier programs. As the other post stated, it'll be great to aim for a similar score on step 2.

You'll have more invites from IM, but keep in mind that there are more programs and open slots so that may play a factor. OB has become increasingly competitive, but remains definitely do-able for an IMG. You just face an uphill battle with some of the upper tier programs, which use USMLE score cut-offs as well as certain school/graduate criteria.

As an IMG, I had similar scores, albeit 9 years ago. I landed invites at mid-tier programs, got in and finished residency, followed by an MFM fellowship, and am in practice. My advice to you: pick the specialty that makes you happy and go for it. IMG or not, with a 219 and hopefully similar step 2, you should get into a solid training program.

Best of luck.

i had a similar score for step 1, but actually did worse on my step 2. do you think it is still too early to be concerned or do you suggest i try for a different specialty?

Last edited:
Too early based on what? If you're getting a lot of rejections and no interviews, then you should 1) have someone with experience at your school look at your application and ensure there are no fatal flaws, and 2) start planning a back up plan.

Sorry, but not quite sure I understand what you're asking.

Good luck.