IMGs matched in Urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's this thread about competitiveness in specialities that's really freaking me out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=289101

Mostly everyone is ranking Urology so so high in terms of competitiveness, even higher than orthopedics and ophthalmology (!!)

Now, I'm about to be an IMG shooting for a Urology residency in the US next year... so can any IMG Urology resident tell me how he matched, and give me an idea about his/her credentials?? (USMLE scores, research, publications, electives..etc)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

HI
saw your post. I attend Ross and will also be an IMG looking to get urology, but i am behind u, in 4th semester currently. Wondering if u found out anything or have any advice. Thanks

I was actually contacted by an IMG urology resident, who was kind enough to tell me a bit about his experience.

He's telling me that frankly put, Urology in the US doesn't need IMGs. Very depressing.

He's an American who graduated from St. George (Carribbean). He did all his rotations away in the US. However, he got one interview from one of these hospitals he did his rotations at, but the residency he matched in was a totally different program.

Urology is getting extremely competitive. I'm really sorry I hope I had better news for you.

I'm a senior med student and it will be at least 2 years b4 I apply to the match.. God knows how competitive it will be by then.

Best of luck ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG's are at a disadvantage but if you look at the match rates for IMGs, it doesn't read 0%. I think it is somewhere around 25%, which is less than US students at around 70%, so you still have a shot, but it is tough.
You have to apply to as many places as possible, and not let how tough it is become a mental excuse. IMGs do get these places, so maybe one of these places is for you.

Thanks. And it is an incitive to work harder.

Probably getting my hopes very high.... ok EXTREMELY high.. but, just a question, how many (if any) IMG residents have been accepted into Harvard and Yale over the past few years?

Can't seem to google a statistic on that one.

Thanks. And it is an incitive to work harder.

Probably getting my hopes very high.... ok EXTREMELY high.. but, just a question, how many (if any) IMG residents have been accepted into Harvard and Yale over the past few years?

Can't seem to google a statistic on that one.

Jesus christ man....

actually, a few imgs have matched at harvard and yale in the past(in rads and gas ) , none in urology that i know of

Wow I asked that long ago in August... now, after even more research on the IMG-match topic, I'd be lucky if I matched anywhere for that matter.

I keep hearing these horror stories about ppl with 99/99 scores and research experience that still can't match. I guess I'll have to do my best and hope for the best....