IMGs, matched into Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D-Ray

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Who is an IMG and matched into Ophthalmology residency this year or previously?
Please answer here or PM me

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I'd like to know that too. If anyone has matched into ophthalmology residency in the States in the last 2-3 years please tell us what you did - as in your scores, research, etc. It'll give us some inspiration!

Yes, I'd like to know that too. If anyone has matched into ophthalmology residency in the States in the last 2-3 years please tell us what you did - as in your scores, research, etc. It'll give us some inspiration!

If you research older threads and the "current residents" section on the websites of U.S. programs you can get a pretty good idea about the background that IMG's who matched into ophthalmology have. I know a handful of IMG's in ophtho and other competitive residencies - while there is no general rule as to what "gets you in", it is probably fair to say that you will need to look at the stats of successful U.S. applicants and prepare yourself that as an IMG you will need higher scores, more convincing LOR's and/or more impressive research to match. You will also need to be very flexible in terms of location, prestige of program and spending some extra years doing a pre-residency fellowship or residency in another specialty.

The fact of the matter is that depending on the country where you completed your medical school (not wanting to be judgemental, but looking at it realistically not all IMGs are viewed the same) there may be more or less degree of uncertainty regarding the equivalence of quality of medical education. Programs have plenty of qualified U.S. applicants to choose from whose medical schools they are familiar with, so if you come from an educational system/med school that doesn't mean anything to the person who reviews applications, you will need something that stands out in your application to make it past the screening and very good interview skills to get ranked.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and doesn't sound too discouraging, but I think it's better to be mentally prepared for the challenge than to get disappointed and frustrated in the process. Guess the bottom line is it's very difficult but not impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you research older threads and the "current residents" section on the websites of U.S. programs you can get a pretty good idea about the background that IMG's who matched into ophthalmology have. I know a handful of IMG's in ophtho and other competitive residencies - while there is no general rule as to what "gets you in", it is probably fair to say that you will need to look at the stats of successful U.S. applicants and prepare yourself that as an IMG you will need higher scores, more convincing LOR's and/or more impressive research to match. You will also need to be very flexible in terms of location, prestige of program and spending some extra years doing a pre-residency fellowship or residency in another specialty.

The fact of the matter is that depending on the country where you completed your medical school (not wanting to be judgemental, but looking at it realistically not all IMGs are viewed the same) there may be more or less degree of uncertainty regarding the equivalence of quality of medical education. Programs have plenty of qualified U.S. applicants to choose from whose medical schools they are familiar with, so if you come from an educational system/med school that doesn't mean anything to the person who reviews applications, you will need something that stands out in your application to make it past the screening and very good interview skills to get ranked.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and doesn't sound too discouraging, but I think it's better to be mentally prepared for the challenge than to get disappointed and frustrated in the process. Guess the bottom line is it's very difficult but not impossible.

Thanks! It was brutally honest, but exactly what we need. I did look up residents and alumni in ophtho programs but there are barely any.. I was thinking of doing a year of prelim IM/Surg followed by 1-2 years of research and then apply to sfmatch. My reason to do prelim year before research was so 1) I can get it out of the way with an early graduation year 2)I could moonlight and earn money in the gap year if needed. Is that a good plan?
Could you tell me a little bit more about the perceptions/prejudices that comes with the "IMG tag" in ophtho, specifically like which countries are regarded the same or lower? PM me if needed.

Cant moonlight in every state with only completing PGY1 year unlesss your currently in ACGME residency so i would look up licensing in each state if you are counting on $$ from moonlighting

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks! It was brutally honest, but exactly what we need. I did look up residents and alumni in ophtho programs but there are barely any.. I was thinking of doing a year of prelim IM/Surg followed by 1-2 years of research and then apply to sfmatch. My reason to do prelim year before research was so 1) I can get it out of the way with an early graduation year 2)I could moonlight and earn money in the gap year if needed. Is that a good plan?
Could you tell me a little bit more about the perceptions/prejudices that comes with the "IMG tag" in ophtho, specifically like which countries are regarded the same or lower? PM me if needed.

Prejudices that I know of:

1) does the applicant speak English well
2) does the applicant understand North American customs well enough to interact w patients professionalism by our standards
3) education ?
4) we have plenty of American grads to choose from, if I will deny them over an FMG, I need a good reason.
5) is this person planning on remaining in the USA

It's NOT so much prejudice as people have enough problems denying and picking American applicants from a competitive pool. Why should they take someone they have no obligation to train? Also, that person may return to their country. Visas can be a hassle and may delay training or cause problems for other residents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Prejudices that I know of:

1) does the applicant speak English well
2) does the applicant understand North American customs well enough to interact w patients professionalism by our standards
3) education ?
4) we have plenty of American grads to choose from, if I will deny them over an FMG, I need a good reason.
5) is this person planning on remaining in the USA

It's NOT so much prejudice as people have enough problems denying and picking American applicants from a competitive pool. Why should they take someone they have no obligation to train? Also, that person may return to their country. Visas can be a hassle and may delay training or cause problems for other residents.

All are valid points. I am an IMG who completed ophtho residency home, 2 years of clinical fellowship in the US and have good USMLE scores 259/269. I am applying this year but I do not have high expectations given the many stories of FMGs with similar stats who did not make it.

Do you have research and publications and letters from well known faculty?

All are valid points. I am an IMG who completed ophtho residency home, 2 years of clinical fellowship in the US and have good USMLE scores 259/269. I am applying this year but I do not have high expectations given the many stories of FMGs with similar stats who did not make it.
Oh my, that's frightening! Your scores are brilliant and you also have clinical experience and commitment to the field. I hope you make it. Good luck!

1) does the applicant speak English well - My english is pretty decent with a TOEFL score 115+/120
2) does the applicant understand North American customs well enough to interact w patients professionalism by our standards -I have done 4 months of rotations in the US and I have relatives in the States
3) education ? I hope to get 250+ scores in the steps and I also have some research experience
5) is this person planning on remaining in the USA - I do want to stay in the States after this

---------------------------------------------

But, I agree if the programs have so many stellar MD applicants why would they take an outsider. Kinda depressing but true. What about doing Pediatrics/IM residency and then applying to ophtho? IS this route better/possible?

1) does the applicant speak English well - My english is pretty decent with a TOEFL score 115+/120
2) does the applicant understand North American customs well enough to interact w patients professionalism by our standards -I have done 4 months of rotations in the US and I have relatives in the States
3) education ? I hope to get 250+ scores in the steps and I also have some research experience
5) is this person planning on remaining in the USA - I do want to stay in the States after this

---------------------------------------------

But, I agree if the programs have so many stellar MD applicants why would they take an outsider. Kinda depressing but true. What about doing Pediatrics/IM residency and then applying to ophtho? IS this route better/possible?

I am not, by any means, trying to discourage IMGs from applying. I am still in the match and not sure how things will turn out. All that I am saying is be prepared for several years of hard work and have a plan B. Best of luck to you as well, you definitely have very good stats already.

IMG's should not lose hope. I personally know some IMG's that have matched in the past few years. Here are the details:

1. Most of them had green cards, 2 of them did not.
2. All of them had spent at least 2 years doing dedicated paid research in Ophthalmology (some spent 3 years). Published extensively, presented at conferences etc etc.
3. One of them had done his IM residency in US previously, but the remaining 5 had not been previously trained in any specialty.
4. USMLE scores: They had good step 1 scores, ranging from 240 - 260.
5. All of them received support from their mentors, who were willing to make calls for them.
6. On avg they received 4-5 interview calls.
7. Some of them matched on second attempt.

In short: Its going to be a long and painful process, but it is very much possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for your input! Will def keep all this in mind when I apply for the match next year.