Immediately after acceptance - things I wish I knew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdubz7w7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to share a few things I really wish I had known right after being accepted, despite the intense research I had done during the application process.
- As I am sure you know, and I did too, you will need a number of immunizations, beyond the standard UG list. Between UG and having done inpatient hours, I just assumed I would have them all. Nope. There were a couple I was missing, and one had expired because it was only good for 10 or so years. We also needed a medical attestation - a form from a med provider (I had an NP at an urgent care clinic do it, so no it doesn't have to be a physician). For most of you, this will just be a slight inconvenience. For myself, I didn't have health insurance so I had to pay out of pocket - all told, around $500-$600. And no, the school would not do them, as their health services were only available for UGs.
- Admittance fee into the program - $500
- Criminal background check - $250
- Required PT kit of tools - $100 (understandable, just noting that it was an unexpected expense)
- Textbooks ---- $500ish. I was not sure if I should rent or buy. I ended up buying because I like to mark books up and I figured I would want to refer back to them come boards time, or in later classes. My entire cohort regrets getting textbooks, because of the 11-12 books required, we only use 1-3 (depending on the person). We've talked about it repeatedly and all agree that we are not getting textbooks again until we determine if we will ACTUALLY use them. Our professors provide us with so much material and resources that we rarely, if ever, reference the books. ***I am only in my first trimester so perhaps in subsequent classes I will find them much more useful, but for my first tri at any rate, I regret buying them.

All told, I spent about $2000 after acceptance. I am an adult without financial support from family and obviously had to give up working to start school, so this was incredibly stressful. Had I known about these expenses prior, I would have at least set some money aside and be mentally prepared for it. I was so focused on getting IN the program, I didn't think of what happens next :)

Good luck to everyone applying, and I hope this helps people like me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for such a great resource! I didn't consider that the cost of the background check would fall on the student, so that's good to know. I actually wandered onto the forum today to get advice on necessary purchases for the program, so it's serendipitous that this was the first message I saw!

Did you have to purchase a laptop to be used in clinic for your program? I need to have one for my program, and I don't think my olllllld 2010 Macbook with no working battery is going to cut it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for such a great resource! I didn't consider that the cost of the background check would fall on the student, so that's good to know. I actually wandered onto the forum today to get advice on necessary purchases for the program, so it's serendipitous that this was the first message I saw!

Did you have to purchase a laptop to be used in clinic for your program? I need to have one for my program, and I don't think my olllllld 2010 Macbook with no working battery is going to cut it. Any suggestions?
Thank you, I am so glad it helped! Wasn't sure if everyone rolled their eyes thinking "yeah I know" haha
That's a great question, actually. My program requires every student to have a laptop, but they never actually checked or asked us. I already had one & I think everyone else did too, or they do now at any rate. So far, if I hadddddd to get away with not having one I could....but I use it frequently. I don't take class notes on it (we are discouraged from this - faculty cited research showing you learn better by handwritten notes & I prefer that anyway), but I am constantly referencing images for anatomy, googling things I don't understand, and so on. There are a few students who don't bring their laptops but most of us use them in between classes to study and so forth. It isn't necessary but greatly helps. HOWEVER - my program is about to transition to all exams being computerized, and they must be done on our laptops, from what I understand. Maybe hold off on buying one until you know you absolutely need it? And I think you can get discounts through college bookstores.

Thank you, I am so glad it helped! Wasn't sure if everyone rolled their eyes thinking "yeah I know" haha
That's a great question, actually. My program requires every student to have a laptop, but they never actually checked or asked us. I already had one & I think everyone else did too, or they do now at any rate. So far, if I hadddddd to get away with not having one I could....but I use it frequently. I don't take class notes on it (we are discouraged from this - faculty cited research showing you learn better by handwritten notes & I prefer that anyway), but I am constantly referencing images for anatomy, googling things I don't understand, and so on. There are a few students who don't bring their laptops but most of us use them in between classes to study and so forth. It isn't necessary but greatly helps. HOWEVER - my program is about to transition to all exams being computerized, and they must be done on our laptops, from what I understand. Maybe hold off on buying one until you know you absolutely need it? And I think you can get discounts through college bookstores.

Hey again! My program definitely requires every student to have a laptop, and we'll be using them for documentation during clinicals. So I need to find something that's preferably light and has good battery life. Luckily, I can get a discount through the clinic that I work for, I just need to make a decision and purchase it sooner rather than later so that I can get used to it. MONEY, SIGH.