Immigrant Pre-med Student in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoctorbigdreams

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I am currently an immigrant student here in the US, majoring in BME on the pre-med track (freshman). I have been in the US since 4th grade, but we haven't gotten our green card yet. I am hoping that it will arrive by the time I finish undergrad. But if it doesn't, what are my prospects of getting into a med school in the US? All public universities require permanent residency or citizenship. And private universities are extremely competitive. I would be having a cGPA of 3.5 and a sGPA of 3.2 around the time I apply.

Most threads and replies are against Caribbean, which I was strongly considering in the first place and I am not sure anymore. Any suggestions and motivations are welcome. Thank you so much.

Regards.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am currently an immigrant student here in the US, majoring in BME on the pre-med track (freshman). I have been in the US since 4th grade, but we haven't gotten our green card yet. I am hoping that it will arrive by the time I finish undergrad. But if it doesn't, what are my prospects of getting into a med school in the US? All public universities require permanent residency or citizenship. And private universities are extremely competitive. I would be having a cGPA of 3.5 and a sGPA of 3.2 around the time I apply.
The average stats for international matriculants to US med schools are much higher. Your best chance without US citizenship, a green card, or asylee status would be at US DO medical schools with those application stats.

Last edited:
The average stats for international matriculants to US med schools are much higher. Your best chance without US citizenship, a green card, or asylee status would be at US DO medical schools with those application stats.
Thank you. I’m not too aware of the admissions policies but I’d like to know if the admissions committee favors citizenship over green card despite both being able to apply?
Likewise, in those that international students are eligible to apply, are the applicants treated equally or is importance to status given?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I’m not too aware of the admissions policies but I’d like to know if the admissions committee favors citizenship over green card despite both being able to apply?

2) Likewise, in those that international students are eligible to apply, are the applicants treated equally or is importance to status given?
1) Green card holders and US citizens are treated the same. If green card status is pending, it';s always better to wait to apply until it's been granted.

2) Statistics suggest that international applicants are held to a higher standard and that a small number of spots are available to them.

1) Green card holders and US citizens are treated the same. If green card status is pending, it';s always better to wait to apply until it's been granted.

2) Statistics suggest that international applicants are held to a higher standard and that a small number of spots are available to them.
Thanks so much! It’s only my status that makes me an international student, otherwise I’ve basically completed all my education here in the US. I’m hoping that would have an influence.

Hi,

Most threads and replies are against Caribbean, which I was strongly considering in the first place and I am not sure anymore. Any suggestions and motivations are welcome. Thank you so much.

Regards.
Do you have permanent residency status and just waiting on the card or are you still an F-1?

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Do you have permanent residency status and just waiting on the card or are you still an F-1?

No, I’m on H4 visa, a dependent of my father (H1-B), which I can hold until I’m 21, after which I’d have to become F-1 if I don’t get my green card by then. We’re in the green card process and the ETA shows 2020, when I’d be 20. This was if I don’t receive my green card.

If you do ended up needing F1, I would not apply to med school right the way. I would do a postabc. The yield is simply too low for your sgpa.

Caribbean school is high risk especially if you are performing average academically. Given you are staying in US for long term, one or two gap year won't be detrimental to your career and you'll be much better off when it is time for match.

If you do ended up needing F1, I would not apply to med school right the way. I would do a postabc. The yield is simply too low for your sgpa.

Caribbean school is high risk especially if you are performing average academically. Given you are staying in US for long term, one or two gap year won't be detrimental to your career and you'll be much better off when it is time for match.

Thank you so much! Could you clarify what exactly falls under my sGPA calculations? I calculated all the science and math classes that I take, however, there are a lot of math classes that I am taking for my biomedical engineering major, which doesn't necessarily pertain to my prerequisites. Will that also be factored in?